PSA: Scam seller on eBay (bindings, bags)

There's currently a scammer on eBay with a bunch of listings for new bindings (and maybe other stuff) that are too cheap to be true. He uses odd titles like "SALE OFF!", etc. He's using stock photos and multiple usernames, and doesn't have a lot of feedback for any single username. If you read the feedback (which is ostensibly from different "buyers") you'll see some of the same comments are repeated.

You'd almost certainly be covered by eBay Buyer Protection, but why waste your time.

Thanks - almost bought a pair of bindings from that seller over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    There's currently a scammer on eBay with a bunch of listings for new bindings (and maybe other stuff) that are too cheap to be true. He uses odd titles like "SALE OFF!", etc. He's using stock photos and multiple usernames, and doesn't have a lot of feedback for any single username. If you read the feedback (which is ostensibly from different "buyers") you'll see some of the same comments are repeated.

You'd almost certainly be covered by eBay Buyer Protection, but why waste your time.
    take this with a HUGEEE grain of salt but I bought come climbing gear from a seller exactly as you described about a year ago. figured i'd either get a refund or a great deal. messaged seller after i bought the shit and never heard anything back. took them a week to ship. i had already started a Buyer Protection claim. shit turns up a few days later brand new and 100% authentic. the return address? Backcountry.com
    swing your fucking sword.

I was going to add I’ve fallen for them a few times. It’s 50/50 a refund or the item coming direct from manufacturer. All authentic, brand new, etc. Not sure if it’s some elaborate money laundering scheme or they’re stealing info from people and sending items to different addresses.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Probably using stolen credit information, buying it from backcountry.com and having it shipped to you, meanwhile they get your money “laundered” through eBay

That’s why they don’t have any real pictures, because they never actually have the item

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post
    Probably using stolen credit information, buying it from backcountry.com and having it shipped to you, meanwhile they get your money “laundered” through eBay

That’s why they don’t have any real pictures, because they never actually have the item
    That is so much effort

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post
    Probably using stolen credit information, buying it from backcountry.com and having it shipped to you, meanwhile they get your money “laundered” through eBay. That’s why they don’t have any real pictures, because they never actually have the item
    Yeah, that's plausible. Backcountry or other retailer ends up the victim after the chargebacks (by the actual cardholder) are processed.

We started using Braintree (PayPal, sadly) at work (ecommerce) to process credit card payments, and they do a pretty good job identifying and rejecting stolen card numbers. We probably get a fifth of the chargebacks we used to.

Quote Originally Posted by FortySixMac View Post
    That is so much effort

Yeah but less effort than working a trade job for instance, such is the current world where everyone is lazy as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Yeah but less effort than working a trade job for instance, such is the current world where everyone is lazy as fuck.
    Too much time on their hands while collecting unemployment during Covid.

This scammer is still at it. Wonder if any eBay buyers could be blacklisted by retailers (since the shipping address includes the buyer's name and address) that accept payment from the "drop-shipping" crook that's using stolen card numbers. The retailer doesn't know if the name and address on the order is the credit card thief or not.

And if the buyer receives the goods, they're technically stolen property that could be theoretically recovered by the police (with no refund to the unwitting buyer).

Just to see what would happen, I bought a pair of these too-cheap bindings. The seller never shipped, and now is no longer an eBay registered user.

I opened a dispute with eBay, and they're issuing a refund. The scammer probably got the money, and eBay is eating it.