Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A New Ride

A New Ride

Many of the people who hang out in the fishing forum have fished out of my 26 year old boat - she’s been around
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2381.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	388648

Finally decided to move on. I rowed several brands and agonized for months - finally stuck with brand loyalty and we have a now yacht waiting to be picked up. Look for her on the South Fork and feel free to ask for change for a nickel

Name:	IMG_0307.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	388649

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Congrats Lee, looks like a sweet ride!

Beautiful! Big congrats on the new whip. Love the color
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Thanks! I love the way it turned out, I knew exactly what I wanted on the inside but coming up with a color was the hardest part. Snapt we need to get out and fish next season!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Looks awesome, Teleee! Can’t wait to row it!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Nice! How big is that thing? Doesn't look like a small entry level craft.

A New Ride

I’m curious- do people name their drift boats like they do other boats?
    skid luxury

Schwerty, we need to get out! I will give you a shout when I head up to pick it up. I will certainly be taking it out for a day or 2.
    cspringsposer, its pretty big I believe 18.5' on the gunwales and 17' centerline. It should be pretty roomy.
    Babybear, I dont think as a rule drifters are named. However, I am sure mine will have some sort of nickname eventually...

Damn. Nice boat. You got walk around rowing box? What other dry storage(obv rowing bench)? Rod trays? and most importantly how many cup holders?

Just always curious about people's preferences on set-ups since have/had lots of buddies who have built boats for different companies(not hyde though). Looks like that boat will take some wave trains.

Also my old Yellowstone drifter was known as the SS Fuckit but I always thought naming boats was an ocean worthy thing..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Sweet boat !

Looking forward to visiting and seeing it.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Also my old Yellowstone drifter was known as the SS Fuckit but I always thought naming boats was an ocean worthy thing.
    Haha, did you used to live across the street from a BZN/4 Corners Montesorri school?

Damn. Nice boat. You got walk around rowing box? What other dry storage(obv rowing bench)? Rod trays? and most importantly how many cup holders?

Just always curious about people's preferences on set-ups since have/had lots of buddies who have built boats for different companies(not hyde though). Looks like that boat will take some wave trains.

Also my old Yellowstone drifter was known as the SS Fuckit but I always thought naming boats was an ocean worthy thing..

Name:	Boat 2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	388887

I have spent a TON of time in boats and have thought long and hard about what I wanted. I originally was going to go with a complete walk around storage box for the rowers seat, but I like having access to all the shit I stuff in there without standing up, so I went with a 3/4 bench to still give access to walk back and forth.
    I went with the cooler up front, we ALWAYS roll with a cooler so it made sense to maximize the space by combining it with the seat. Some people say its a pain in the ass to get in the cooler, but we can always roll with the soft cooler for beers if it proves that way.
    Since it is typically just me and one other person (whether my wife or a buddy) I went with the pedestal in the back over a dry box. I think it gives us more options to take it out and use the back for the dog bed, camping gear, dry bags, etc... I think we will be at 6 cupholders, should be adequate.
    Finally I chose the high/low design because it gives us the higher bow in order to take on those wave trains, plus I have fished out of a lot of low sides and I HATE the tiny bow area for fly line management, your shit is always in the water, and it has the lower sides which is way easier to get in and out of than the old high side.
    Almost forgot, one of my main drivers for going with Hyde (besides some brand loyalty and a pretty decent hookup on price) was their new rod holders, it has storage for 6 rods 3 facing forward and 3 facing backwards. The old boats rod holders sucked monkey balls!
    Harry, as you well know you have an open invite, maybe I need an " I fished with Harry" shirt!
    Last edited by teleee; 10-13-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Sweet looking whip man! I love that 3/4 box setup, and that that back seat config is money. We have a similar back setup in our stealth, and roll no back seat a lot. Good for gear, dog, and motoring. Speaking of a motor…you staying quiet or adding a couple hp??

On another note, how much snow you get in the valley? Wife and I are contemplating getting on the water a couple days this weekend. Streamers and afternoon bwo’s??

For the moment we are going silent, no motor. However, that will probably change at some point. On the other hand I have a friend who may be selling his jet boat, if that happens then I wont need to put a motor on the drifter.
    We are back in Colorado for the winter season, so I am not in the valley, but it sounds like just a dusting at this point. This is a good camera view to see what is happening on the river
    https://tlapc.com/galleries/snake-river-live-webcam/

Im guessing streamer season should be in full swing (pun intended) and I hope to get there and check it out and pick up the new boat here in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Haha, did you used to live across the street from a BZN/4 Corners Montesorri school?
    It was a buddies place but yeah I kept that boat there for awhile. My truck and boat at the time cost less than most rad bros rod vaults.

Thanks for the reply Lee. Rear seat delete would be awesome. Don't think we could do the seat cooler but often run a med hardside and soft cooler as well. 3/4 bench sounds like a good compromise but I'd have a hard time giving up full bench storage. But I'm almost always running 2 people 2 dogs(and sometimes camping gear).

Again sweet boat and hope ya grabbed some nice new dentist sticks for that ride.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Thanks! I love the way it turned out, I knew exactly what I wanted on the inside but coming up with a color was the hardest part. Snapt we need to get out and fish next season!

Exactly! I'm looking forward to it, and I'm stomping on the spot.

Again sweet boat and hope ya grabbed some nice new dentist sticks for that ride.

Ha, yep had to grab myself a new pair of carbon wrapped square tops from Mtn Driftboats - you know for river cred and shit.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CU-2s...dium=copy_link

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Suzuki 200 would make that a whole lot more fun.

Find a jet outboard. I know they exist. Best of both worlds.

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	880.7 KB 
ID:	389174

Good chance I will add this to the boat quiver to take care of that jet issue. Still not sure I will be able to handle the200, although it would a kick in the ass!!

I like the camo job on that boat.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	880.7 KB 
ID:	389174

Good chance I will add this to the boat quiver to take care of that jet issue. Still not sure I will be able to handle the200, although it would a kick in the ass!!

So are those conversions? Do they just replace the LU with a jet drive?
    Could I make my Yamaha 40 hp into a jet drive? That might actually be really cool since I need to replace the LU anyway.
    Hmmmm- that could be one badass little flats boat.

Shit, thanks Lee!!

I found a conversion kit for $2,000 for my engine.
    That might be kinda cool. Wonder how it handles seaweed.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Shit, thanks Lee!!

I found a conversion kit for $2,000 for my engine.
    That might be kinda cool. Wonder how it handles seaweed.
    I was about to respond and say I know you can get a conversion kit but had no idea on the cost, $2K isnt that bad really. I wouldnt think seaweed would be great for it, but I would think it would clog up pretty easy. Man you could get SHALLOW with one of those on a skiff

Sweet boat, congrats!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.