Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    First, "nothing burger" has got to be one of the most annoying expressions of all time. Second, this seems like a BS opinion. The very fact that people paid a premium to be in that line means less people (presumably) will be in said line, thus it will move much faster than the normal lines. So it's not going to slow down everyone else--at least not by much--but it absolutely will speed up those who are willing to pay the premium, and I think that's the bit that chaps most peoples' hides.
    Dude, what's going to happen is that most people that spent this idiot money are going to soon learn that they would have gotten the same treatment as skiers in the free singles line. Duh. And without the abuse. Because there will be abuse. And families will just get back into line, because they want to ski together.

It's like having front row seats to a concert then out of the blue a bunch of other people come strolling past you and you and everyone behind you has to move back a row or three because they came up late but paid more to be "special" . You're at the front of the corral, chair number 1 was yours and 2 was the people behind your group.. Then all of a sudden a bunch of people come skating past and take those chairs and make you wait.

I get that someone in a lesson has paid to be on the hill.. A patrol needs to go to an emergency... We're used to that.. not richie rich all of a sudden being able to sleep in and get first chair if they paid another $40
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Dude, what's going to happen is that most people that spent this idiot money are going to soon learn that they would have gotten the same treatment as skiers in the free singles line. Duh. And without the abuse. Because there will be abuse. And families will just get back into line, because they want to ski together.
    I doubt it's going to be a singles line. I'm willing to bet groups that all purchased fast tracks will be able to board together.

Snowballs. Iceballs. Rotten fruit. Giant lugies. Incoming!!!

I doubt it's going to be a singles line. I'm willing to bet groups that all purchased fast tracks will be able to board together.
    That's how it works at Copper, from my observation...

Seriously though, I’m going to be heavily disappointed if people don’t troll the shit out of this.

Would be priceless for someone to pay for a pass one day but wear a cape that says something along the lines of “I’m a fucking tool”

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    When a ski school oxymorin " group private" comes pushing around the ropes or 2-3 patrols go pushing by they ride together, not pairing up with other people already in line filling empty seats. This is going to work like that too..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hate to tell you this but other acting like a dick you have little recourse. Ski areas are in the business of making money and someone has run the numbers and thinks this will make it worthwhile in spite of the potential abuse.

And if you are a total dick don't be surprised if you are told to shut up or leave, and the person telling you that won't like being put in that position anymore than you like hearing that from them.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Does anyone remember when Killington was doing some 50th anniversary celebration & they sold gold medals to allow people to skip the lines? The day it went live, the lifts were iced up & the whole system backed up & no one honored those stupid medals & the dipshits that purchased ended up looking like idiots wearing em with the rest of us.

That’s what needs to occur.

Cheaper and more visible than the $200-$300 private lessons the vacationing rich have been buying to skip the lines… for only the last 20+ years.

Nothing new, just policy now.

Maybe that Bushwhacker guy will challenge some other Vermonter to a $1000 lift-line-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Cheaper and more visible than the $200-$300 private lessons the vacationing rich have been buying to skip the lines… for only the last 20+ years.

My dude, an all-day private costs $1,000.00 these days.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Hate to tell you this but other acting like a dick you have little recourse. Ski areas are in the business of making money and someone has run the numbers and thinks this will make it worthwhile in spite of the potential abuse.

And if you are a total dick don't be surprised if you are told to shut up or leave, and the person telling you that won't like being put in that position anymore than you like hearing that from them.
    Eventually, Ski Patrol will need to be armed.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sugarbowl does this. I only ski there midweek non powder days and the number of people who use it is negligible.
    Sugar Bowl only allows it for homeowners and their guests - so it requires a $1M+ buy-in plus the ~$25K/year HOA fee. That tends to limit the usage.

Northstar has been doing it for a while too. Do you expect people staying on-slope at the Ritz to stand in line with the common folk?

I’m actually surprised this isn’t more widespread - look at airline tickets, concerts, amusement parks, etc.. The goal is to extract as much money as possible - why not offer a higher class of service for people willing to pay more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

More than that at some hills. My buddy used to be a ski school supervisor and I was visiting one time and he was shirking some responsibilities to ski with me, in uniform of course. I asked him what my private lesson cost and he told me $1200 for the terrain we were skiing. I couldn't believe people paid him that to ski with him.

Lots of ski areas have had a 'First Chair' deal that you could pay for and get a lift before everyone else. Never seemed to notice any effect from it at any of the places I skied on pow days that offered this benefit. At most it was like ~10 people generally laying down a crappy track down the most wide open powder bowl.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

Private lessons are a heck of a lot more expensive than that and I feel like that's a bit different. Those people plunked down lots of money for a service, so it seems like they are entitled to maximum their lesson time, even if their real purpose is to cut the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    More than that at some hills. My buddy used to be a ski school supervisor and I was visiting one time and he was shirking some responsibilities to ski with me, in uniform of course. I asked him what my private lesson cost and he told me $1200 for the terrain we were skiing. I couldn't believe people paid him that to ski with him.
    It hadn't quite crested a grand at the hill I last worked at. But I turned in my Smurf jacket several years back at this point. And that was before the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

Ski week at Taos was something stupid, like 200 bucks the last I checked. And that's quality.

Private lessons are a heck of a lot more expensive than that and I feel like that's a bit different. Those people plunked down lots of money for a service, so it seems like they are entitled to maximum their lesson time, even if their real purpose is to cut the lines.
    Well I obviously haven’t checking in on the private lesson market recently, but yeah. I know people who pay for a private lesson with the sole intention of jumping lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Yeah, but, the whole point of RIFD is to minimize labor after data collection. Who's going to be the hall monitor? Some minimum wage stoner that probably hates this shit too, holding the iPad and having enough to do to check for scofflaws? A patroller, who has like a hundred things better to do, and it's not as though ski areas are going to have so much staff they can use either for enforcing manners. It's like this situation right now where hostesses and wait people are put on the front lines to enforce masking and vaccine requirements in restaraunts. That's not what they signed up for. So, it's going to be ugly on a powder Saturday. As though it isn't already.

Every day we stray further from Ullr’s light

I'm opposed to this just because it's moderately annoying, and because I don't have any interest in paying for it.

But on the other hand, I don't know that it'll really make any difference to how much time I spend in line. It seems like the biggest contributor to lines last year was chairs frequently going with 1 or 2 people on them - that makes a high speed 6 pack pretty darn slow. If there is a little bit less of that this year, the lines will be reduced substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Eventually, Ski Patrol will need to be armed.
    More guns is always the solution.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sounds about right.

What's an extra $100/day on top your $10,000 5-day luxury ski trip, right? Just get one less massage.
    What happened to a good old $20 happy ending to keep everyone satisfied?