Thread: Biking on Maui?

Biking on Maui?

Anyone? The mountain biking looks a little lacking, maybe some road rides?
    Would love to hear first had accounts. I am *thinking* about riding up Haleakala with a friend..,but that is a STOUT ride. (Almost 11,000 foot climb).
    Staying in Lahaina, FWIW
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Lahaina to Hana north route out and back, or r/t northern route out/southern back.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I tried, and failed, to get our group to do the Haleakala DH ride w/ shuttle. Apparently there's a DH trail, reportedly kinda gnarly, and it was recommended that you wear pads and maybe a FF helmet due to sharp volcanic rock. We ended up just surfing and drinking all week, which was fun too.

Also as a general recommendation for Lahaina and Hawaii, make any and all reservations for anything that you want to do ahead of your trip because week-of is usually too late and everything might be booked out. This includes restaurant reservations, bike tours/shuttles, Haleakala sunrise especially, etc etc. So book now, and cancel if you decide later not to do it.

ETA: you've probably already seen it but this is what I was talking about: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/507...yline-downhill

Interesting, that doesn’t appear on Trailforks, AFAICT.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/507...yline-downhill

Oh, and all of that is weather dependent. A 10K' mountain in the middle of the pacific attracts a lot of clouds apparently.

Just poach Oprah's road

Oprah’s road is concrete and asphalt 12 feet across. Goodfellow Brothers paved it in December 2010. The road stretches from the water tank at Kealakapu Road near Piilani Highway in Kihei to Keokoa, near Haleakala Highway. It’s a road locals have been waiting for 40 years – a potentially golden road that could radically ease traffic congestion in Central Maui. That is, if the public could use it, which it most certainly cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/507...yline-downhill

Oh, and all of that is weather dependent. A 10K' mountain in the middle of the pacific attracts a lot of clouds apparently.
    The wife and I talked about doing this ride when we were there in 2020. Unfortunately there are no commercial shuttle options available, and most of the shops won't rent you bikes if you mention doing it. We are going back again in January and I've done some more research, it seems like unless you have two rental cars a mildly sketchy hitchike is the only way to do it.

Also, the weather thing was real. It snowed the day we did the summit drive. 10/10 would not recommend locking the keys in your camper van at 10,000'.

Every time I chalk it up as they have all the same trails I get burned.

I'll be interested in your pics etc if you do ride down there. Wife has wanted a HI trip for ages... This could make me want to go.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I will certainly share what I find on here. Friend I am staying with is more of an XC/gravel/road rider, so I don’t know how motivated he will be for teh gnurr…..(he lives in Bend)

PM sent
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Thanks so much, U&D!

Thanks so much, U&D!
    You are welcome.. But I forgot to add another suggestion.. A hike in Haleakala crater.. My wife and I did the Sliding Sands to Halemau'u hike.. about 12 miles for the route we took with a group of guests where we were staying at Banana Bungalo hostel....Awesome scenery!!.. There is a lot of info online about hiking the crater.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Yes to sliding sands hike - I recommend you park at the lower lot on the drive up - hitch up to the ranger station from there - hike down sliding sands and then hike the trails back to your car - let’s you see lots without retracing your steps (will make more sense if looking at trail map). The back of the crater is cool too (my wife and I camped back there).

I think the whole sunrise event is not worth the effort. Not worth driving up that road in the dark to freeze your ass off to see a sunrise that is not that much different than what you could see at sea level. Everyone raves about it - to me I think it’s like the emperors clothes - no one wants to admit that it wasn’t actually really worth it

Better to go up during the day and later watch the sunset from up by the telescopes if you want a view from high. But again the sunset from sea level (on a beach or patio with a drink in your hand and no long drive ahead of you) is probably just as nice.