Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wheel of time Amazon series

Since I'm a fantasy nerd and have started reading it in the 90s I'm mildly excited.

The trailer looks good, but the new inn scene is kind of cheesy. But I think it'll be edited differently in the show?

Of course they have to rewrite and strip a lot of those 14 books ( and to be honest much of books 7- 11 are just pointless meandering, ).

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fus4Xb_TLg

Inn scene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

looks good.
    Read the first 5 or so books and then it kinda petered out for me, but liked it. Knew some people who were a bit too into it ( snake eating its tail tats & such) but thats the case for everything.

New trailer looks very promising.
    Edit: works now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ8NYAtNJIM
    Last edited by subtle plague; 10-28-2021 at 09:13 AM.

I've read most of the books, but had to listen to books 6-11 as reading them got too tedious for me. I really enjoy the series. I'm really looking forward to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I've read most of the books, but had to listen to books 6-11 as reading them got too tedious for me. I really enjoy the series. I'm really looking forward to the show.
    Can't blame you, they were a real grind. Thank the gods Sanderson wrapped it up well.

Hopefully Mrs Martin has him on speed dial for when the inevitable happens.

Wife bought me these books a year or so ago but have yet to get into them.

Maybe I should?

As a GoT reader and then fan of the series... obviously the books were better/more detailed and I had no problem following the various families on the show based on my background from the books. Definitely helped with comprehension watching the series.

Too bad there wasn't an ending.... still waiting George.

What say the fans? Read first? Do the books actually wrap up the story or are we again waiting for some guy with too many initials to get off his ass and compose a conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

What say the fans? Read first? Do the books actually wrap up the story or are we again waiting for some guy with too many initials to get off his ass and compose a conclusion?
    Try and stay ahead of the show, the books are dense enough that they'll being doing a lot of parring down to adapt it to the screen.

The books themselves are a completed series with a satisfying ending. They drag a bit around 6-8 but then Sanderson wraps it up in a nice three book package.

I agree, but I'd say book 7-11 are pretty much a lot of braid tugging and meandering.

The die hard Fans are fearing that they change some of the core stuff for the sense of maximum wokeness (for example who the dragon is. ) If they do that, I'm out because the World would not make sense anymore.

On the other hand: I've heard that it's going to be pretty bloody and darker ( atmospherewise) than the first books actually were. So hope remains that they try to make it more Got.

Not having read the books, any sense of whether this series would be appropriate for a 10 year old?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Same question, but for a jaded, demanding 70 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Not having read the books, any sense of whether this series would be appropriate for a 10 year old?
    Can't say if its appropriate or not but the author is pretty circumspect about sex (it happens but there's no explicit descriptions) if that's what you're asking. Lots of fighting and violence. I'd at least say the entire series is at least YA-ajacent.

I think I was reading the Hobbit and LOTR about that time, if the kid hasn't read those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ุrion View Post
    Can't say if its appropriate or not but the author is pretty circumspect about sex (it happens but there's no explicit descriptions) if that's what you're asking. Lots of fighting and violence. I'd at least say the entire series is at least YA-ajacent.

I think I was reading the Hobbit and LOTR about that time, if the kid hasn't read those yet.
    Thanks, that's helpful. Hopefully the showrunners don't add lots of explicit sex to make it more GoT-like.

She hasn't read LOTR, but she's seen all the movies. The violence/gore/suspense won't bother her. But I'm not ready for her to see bare-ass humping or a brothel scene.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks, that's helpful. Hopefully the showrunners don't add lots of explicit sex to make it more GoT-like.

She hasn't read LOTR, but she's seen all the movies. The violence/gore/suspense won't bother her. But I'm not ready for her to see bare-ass humping or a brothel scene.
    No not in the books. Super prude. And slightly weird man woman relations in general. Hopefully the TV show improves that.

And lots of braid tugging (if they're annoyed by male characters)from the female characters

Definitely readable with 10-12. Unless she's easily scared by dark creatures. There is some torture stuff in the later books, but nothing got like
    Edit2: and no swear words either.

The jaded 70 old may find the middle books a bit drawn out and that the prose is not as good as in the song of ice and fire or the king killer chronicles ( which the 10 year old can also read. It's top 3 fantasy out there
    Edit: well, the main character makes love to a fairy creature in another realm once, but I don't think it's very explicit as far as I remember ).

BTW. Why are so many fantasy authors Mormons or weird Christians or have no sexuality in the books if they're not? (Sanderson comes to mind as well).
    Is it because of a possible young audience or .....?
    From a European TV perspective I'd say boobies are less dangerous for my kid's development than beheading people...but what do I know...we're also running around naked on public French beaches.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 11-09-2021 at 10:19 AM.

I tried the first book at about that age and didn't make it far. Tried the series again at 12 and made it to book six or so. That was more due to how much of a slog the books could be (especially when my library only had the books in hardcover so they'd weighed about 15lbs each), the content wasn't much of an issue. Assuming the TV series handles topics the way the books did a 10 year old should be fine - most sex/romance happens off screen, and many of the deaths are magic-related so no need to be overly gorey. Just be prepared to discuss polyamorism with your daughter a few seasons down the line if she's not already familiar with the concept.

Of course, depending how much Amazon wants to be like HBO, they could make things very much not 10 year old appropriate without warping the source material too much.

Wait, I thought we're talking books here for the girl? ...My bad.

The Show will be pretty gorey according to people who have seen some bits at London comic con. Realistic bloody Fights as far as I've heard.

And they've aged up the characters so there could be more sexuality.

So it dropped yesterday. I've watched the first two episodes.
    Not super great, not terrible. Pretty gorey AND NOT KIDS SUITABLE.
    There are implications of changes that would bug me as a book reader and would destroy the story into the realm of woke fan fiction. Or it's just a red herring to play up the mystery who's the dragon. We'll see.
    It looks really good, gorgeous Czech landscapes but the cgi has some glitches. ( which I don't understand because most of the time it's pretty cool)
    Acting is OK to good, but the writers give the actors a hard time sometimes. Editing and pacing is also not done by the best in the business, both things didn't annoy me, but they're far from being perfect. Maybe Amazon hired the good fantasy writers and editors for the lotr project and we get the second tier.

I'd give it B so far. Let's see what episode 3 has for me tonight.

I'd love to hear some input from people who are no wheel of time fan boys.

Reviews out there are mixed, but generally have a "it's ok but could be good in the future " vibe. Apart from the usual hand ful of critics ripping it apart. But they even did that with the brilliant first 4 seasons of Got

Edit: I've just read that the lotr project has !460 millions! for the first season. (Excluding the 250million for the lotr rights.) They're going all in and so wheel is their secondary fantasy project. That would explain some of the b grade problems.
    I mean 10milion is not nothing per episode for wheel and means late GOT season budget, but it pales in comparison to the absurd lotr budget.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 11-20-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Never read the books, but agree with your reaction; might give it a B-/C+ though, so far. I am intrigued by some of the foreshadowing regarding the 4, but I'm really having an embarrassingly hard time not fixating on what's-her-faces nose. The White Cloaks are equally intriguing.

Yeah, I guess what pushed me from B- to B was the giddy fanboy in me. Episode 3 had some issues
    Interestingly no one writes nuanced reviews on prime. Either 5 or 1 star hard core fan ratings.

Edit: I guess nuance is a thing lost since the invention social media, but I'm hopelessly old school

I watched 1st 3 episodes and def sucked in.
    As said above, not a fan oy but read books 20 years ago.
    Aside from being annoyed by the actor playing Rand, I like it.

The cinematography is outstanding and the effects are good.

Will see how it holds up...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I watched 1st 3 episodes and def sucked in.
    As said above, not a fan oy but read books 20 years ago.
    Aside from being annoyed by the actor playing Rand, I like it.

The cinematography is outstanding and the effects are good.

Will see how it holds up...
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Read the books years back, not super impressed with the (lack of) character development and the breakneck pacing, but we'll see if it picks up here in the next little bit. Overall it's entertaining.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Episode 4 has improved things a lot. Im actually enjoying it.

Seems bit jumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Seems bit jumbled.
    Yeah and there are some bookreader issues, but Still I thought it flowed much better than the others.

And:THIS EPISODE WAS LIKE THE BLAZING SUN!

Question: is it jumbled because the trimmed the connecting bits to cram as much big shit in as possible?
    I think I would prefer a more nuance approach of eliminating some of the not-so-big events, and filling in some of the background better. Probably because I haven't read the books.

Yeah. There is A LOT that has been cut. And mixed.
    The showrunner wanted 10 episodes and a two hour first episode. Amazon said no no!
    But I still think with episode 4 we're finding a bit of a rhythm.