Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I bet something like 75% of new Tacoma’s switch out wheels and tires for black TRD Pro’s and Wildpeaks in the first few months. This means you can find 4 stock wheels with brand new Goodyear A/T w/Kevlar for $400 all day long on the classifieds. The Goodyears aren’t the greatest tire in the world but if you’re running snows in the winter and drive mostly dry trails in the summer, they aren’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    FWIW, my favorite truck tire I've ever run was the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors. The SilentArmor name's been discontinued as such, but has been replaced by the Goodyear Wrangler 'All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.' Fantastic all-arounder. Did great in everything I could throw at it, including mud and slushy snow on trails, while still having great highway manners. Still not as good as a proper winter tire when temps get sub-zero, but overall it proved a damn good tire. I outfitted my vehicle with them for running around to oil well sites in the remotest parts of Montana and North Dakota and did plenty of running around in the mountains. Haven't tried out the new models, but if they're anything as good as my SA's, then I highly recommend them. Downside: Not cheap.
    I had the Wrangler Silent Armor on my old 4Runner, with the 3PMSF rating. I thought they were fine in snow, but (Capt Obvious) the Blizzaks I got later were much better.

New F350 came with the Wrangler Kevlar tires, which don't have the 3PMSF stamp (don't know why some sizes do, and others don't). I haven't driven it in any snow yet, but the Ford truck forum reviews are marginal for winter use.

I expect tire reviews / experiences vary from vehicle to vehicle, and different climates too. Big heavy trucks are going to wear out tires faster than lighter SUVs or crossovers, and since I can get by with pretty much any A/T tire in winter, I may not go back to a true winter tire for the truck. The (admittedly cheap) set of winter tires I used for the old 3/4 ton truck only had maybe 5K miles on the tires when I sold the truck, but roughly 1/3 of the tread depth had worn away. They worked great in snow though, as you'd expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I blew a couple tires on a 2008 F-150 driving a shuttle, no tires in town and I gotta pick this crew of 16 up in 3 days, things are looking dim

tire store guy looks in his computer and sez but I got 2 used take-offs same size / same brand, cost you 25 and 50$

I am pretty sure somebodies with f-150's blew the shitty-from-the-factory General tires, had to replace both tires on an axle and we got the takeoffs ... horseshoes up the ass eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  tacoma.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  48.9 KB

Hit a clean 400 000 km on my 2007 Tacoma a couple weeks back.

That's like $3.00 U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    That's like $3.00 U.S.
    I think it's about 250 000 or so in moron speak.

AP is SO core he wore out the frame so buddy is rocking the new frame
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    That's like $3.00 U.S.
    Heh.

Bought my 08 tundra limited for 17cad with 160km on it. It now has 210km/125freedom units. Ive put new brake pads, one sticky caliper and a set of tires this year. Chomps the fuel but runs well/knock on wood
    Id still be running my 91 3point slow if it didnt rust out. Had that for 13yrs and purchase price and sll fix its cost less than 12k cad. 2022 tundra looks like it will continue the tradition but i think i'd wait for it to have atleast a year in, much like 1st year touring bindings

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I bet something like 75% of new Tacoma’s switch out wheels and tires for black TRD Pro’s and Wildpeaks in the first few months. This means you can find 4 stock wheels with brand new Goodyear A/T w/Kevlar for $400 all day long on the classifieds. The Goodyears aren’t the greatest tire in the world but if you’re running snows in the winter and drive mostly dry trails in the summer, they aren’t bad.
    Shhhh!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

jesus, did someone's third grader do that rendering?

Looks like most of the AT tires that were listed are all within $20 a tire difference in price.
    KOs, Wildpeaks, Cooper, Hanook, Nitto.
    KOs and Wildpeaks are the same price at Discount Tire.

Hmm, what to pull the trigger on?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Wildpeak fanboi here. I like them. Been good on FS roads and in snow. I've got 3 years and just over 30,000 miles on this set. The way I drive (like granny) I could probably get another 20,000 out of them, but they're getting hard. I was feeling it last winter and just with this last snow/cold snap.

Presently considering a set of dedicated snows for winter driving after hunting season is over.

I’m not entirely sure I need a big burly tire now. I’m on road the majority of the time however when I want to go off road I don’t want to even think about it. Just go.
    Not going to run a winter and 3 season tire since I really don’t need tires that dedicated.

I want the tire that does the most bestest in all the conditions combined. And one that will do the bestest in northern Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

Neat idea, but it really should be on a Tundra. The Tacomas lack in nearly every meaningful category for a build like that.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I did this… put 2019 TRD stock wheels on my 2007. Put snows on the originals… rides smooth and they all balance out great. OEM wheels are way better than aftermarket.

I just picked up a 2007 4 door long box Tacoma with 117k kms… got a great deal and decided to keep it. Would have been a profitable flip but I’ve always wanted a 4.0 and the price and low kms was too good to walk away from.

Can’t remember what the stock rubber on my tundra was - but I think it must have been single ply toilet paper based. I never had so many flats off road/gravel road until I swapped those out.

I am guessing they went for super light weight low resistance to ameliorate poor mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I’m not entirely sure I need a big burly tire now. I’m on road the majority of the time however when I want to go off road I don’t want to even think about it. Just go.
    Not going to run a winter and 3 season tire since I really don’t need tires that dedicated.

I want the tire that does the most bestest in all the conditions combined. And one that will do the bestest in northern Utah.
    I have big ole good year wranglers as my summer tire on the tundra, and a dedicated set of snows on stock rims for winter. The Wranglers perform suprisingly well in the snow and ice. Well to the point that i may not get another set of winters when they do finally wear out.

I've got 30000 rough miles over 5 years on some wild peak AT3w's. I love them. I've watched my neighbor go through 2 sets of KO2's in the same time frame. I've done a shit ton of off roading(CO and UT) with a 4wheel camper in the back. I switch them out for a blizzak commercial truck tire in the winter, cause I live in the mountains. But when I have driven them in the snow, they've seemed great. Nothing compares to a dedicated snow tire though. No reason to spend the extra money for the KO2's.

My biggest recommendation though would be to think about your actual need. The heavier off road tire(the wildpeak I have is 11 ply I think) is not nice on MPG's or acceleration. Really think about your use case and if you really need them unless you like a slower truck and throwing money to the wind to look cooler. My buddy just went from an all season to the wild peaks on his 13 Tundra and was really taken aback by the difference it made to acceleration and braking. If you don't actually get off road much or deal with heavy loads think twice about it...

Edited to say that Falken has the new Rubitrecks also, which are slightly more road oriented than the Wildpeaks I think and look cool.

5th Gen 4runner with 55k miles and highly recommend the wildpeaks. I swapped out the factory/stock tires for wildpeaks within 500 miles of buying it and just put on a new set for this upcoming winter. Have had good experiences with K02s and Duratracs but no way either of them could go more than 50k miles and still have 5mm of tread left.

I stuck with the standard tire size and a SL rating and had zero impact to MPG. Noise is minimal and on-road manners are just fine. No argument that a dedicated winter tire is going to outperform a wildpeak but if you are looking for a single set of tires that will cover winter driving as well as reasonable summer off roading (short of trails that require purpose built rigs) I'd go that direction.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The cheap Cooper snow tires I bought last year for my Tundra are significantly better than any snowflake rated all terrain I've had in the snow, especially when its icy. Aka the reason we run snows.
    Which ones you running?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Which ones you running?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-ti...erer-snow-claw

195k on my 2012 Tundra. 35'' BFG K02's. Just rebuilt suspension(OME 3'' coils, control arms, shocks, rear leafs) TRD sway bar, firestone airbags...hauling 2k camper loaded all around the mountains is its life.
    Gonna go plugs, starter(horrible 5.7 design but I got the time to do it), and brakes here soon. I plan on keeping this thing until it blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    195k on my 2012 Tundra. 35'' BFG K02's. Just rebuilt suspension(OME 3'' coils, control arms, shocks, rear leafs) TRD sway bar, firestone airbags...hauling 2k camper loaded all around the mountains is its life.
    Gonna go plugs, starter(horrible 5.7 design but I got the time to do it), and brakes here soon. I plan on keeping this thing until it blows up.
    Mind if I ask how much this cost you?

I have an ‘07 TRD with 200K miles, and I’m about to get an FWC Hawk, and I think the stock suspension might need a little help.