Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I put 295k on an 04, 312k on an 08 and 176k on a 15. Other than maintenance I changed a starter on the 08. All Limiteds and Platinum, I can’t believe they still gave me $13k for the 08 when I traded it in. Great trucks other than MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I've owned a 350 7.3. Great trucks. Need a block heater for cold weather starting. For my purposes, I didn't need one anymore and my Tundra does everything I need and is overall cheaper to operate. If you need a one ton diesel, I think it's a good move.

Current Tundra-31k and no issues. Tacoma I sold-180k no issues other than normal maintenance and a steering rack. 1st '97 FZJ80-sold to a buddy, normal maintenance, is at 240k and still running strong. Current FZJ80, 223k and normal maintenance. I beat the piss out of this one so more frequent normal maintenance but no mechanical issues.

So many threads to choose from but since I’m in the market for new tires thought I’d ask Toyota owners here.

2011 Tundra TRD Limited.
    In SLC. Mostly highway and city. Obviously needs are up snowy canyons and the such, a dabble here and there on FS and off road easy trails.

Currently running Nitto Terra Graplers. It’s been a rugged tire and seems to have held up much better than the Wrangler something or other that were stock when I bought it new. I’ve really had no complaints but have wondered if I cheaped out many years ago as I’m not real familiar with the brand.

Looking at maybe another set of Nittos or do I go less mileage rating but more rugged BFGoodrich AT Ko’s? 65k vs 50k on the Ko.

I want a really good grip anymore in the snow. The quality of driving around these parts has degraded on a fairly large level.

What you all think?
    What else should I give a good look at?

Appreciate y’all!

My KOs suck in snow. Looking for a new set myself, considering Falken Wildpeaks.

I have Hankook Dynapro ATM on my Sequoia. For the price, they've been pretty good. Do well in snow.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had KO's on my 2003 Tundra for 2 months, didn't like them and replaced them with Wildpeaks, and glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    My KOs suck in snow. Looking for a new set myself, considering Falken Wildpeaks.
    You aren't going to get much better performance in snow with the Wildpeaks over KO2s. In fact, one of the only categories that the KO2 performs better than the WIldpeaks in is snow performance. Get some actual snow tires and/or throw some weight in the back of the truck.

^that

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bigt View Post

No comment on Tundra to F350 move?
    I had a '97 F250 SC with the PSD, great truck for hauling and towing. If it was chipped, I would walk away.

Differences - everything costs more, maintenance wise. Filters, fluids, etc. If it needs injectors, that's a DIY project, but they are pricey. You can get engine parts at your local IH dealer if your ford dealer is being a PIA.

Pros - Last forever, can pull a house off the foundation. Best looking F series truck.
    Cons - If it's AT, it needs tender loving care. It's a big ass, heavy truck - it will sink like the titanic in sand and mud. The turning radius is measured in miles, parking lots can become a graveyard. If you live in the hills, it will eat brakes and tires like a fat kid at a buffet.

FWIW, my favorite truck tire I've ever run was the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors. The SilentArmor name's been discontinued as such, but has been replaced by the Goodyear Wrangler 'All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.' Fantastic all-arounder. Did great in everything I could throw at it, including mud and slushy snow on trails, while still having great highway manners. Still not as good as a proper winter tire when temps get sub-zero, but overall it proved a damn good tire. I outfitted my vehicle with them for running around to oil well sites in the remotest parts of Montana and North Dakota and did plenty of running around in the mountains. Haven't tried out the new models, but if they're anything as good as my SA's, then I highly recommend them. Downside: Not cheap.

Scored a Jem of a Tundra this past spring. Loaded 08 Limited Crewmax with a ARE shell with only 85k for just over 22k. And the dealership took my clapped out GMC with 200k and a failing tranny in on trade for more than I bought it for 2 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    So many threads to choose from but since I’m in the market for new tires thought I’d ask Toyota owners here.

2011 Tundra TRD Limited.
    In SLC. Mostly highway and city. Obviously needs are up snowy canyons and the such, a dabble here and there on FS and off road easy trails.

Currently running Nitto Terra Graplers. It’s been a rugged tire and seems to have held up much better than the Wrangler something or other that were stock when I bought it new. I’ve really had no complaints but have wondered if I cheaped out many years ago as I’m not real familiar with the brand.

Looking at maybe another set of Nittos or do I go less mileage rating but more rugged BFGoodrich AT Ko’s? 65k vs 50k on the Ko.

I want a really good grip anymore in the snow. The quality of driving around these parts has degraded on a fairly large level.

What you all think?
    What else should I give a good look at?

Appreciate y’all!
    I like the General Grabber A/Tx, they are great in snow for an AT.

If you really prioritize snow driving, find a second set of wheels and a set of snows.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    FWIW, my favorite truck tire I've ever run was the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors. The SilentArmor name's been discontinued as such, but has been replaced by the Goodyear Wrangler 'All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.' Fantastic all-arounder. Did great in everything I could throw at it, including mud and slushy snow on trails, while still having great highway manners. Still not as good as a proper winter tire when temps get sub-zero, but overall it proved a damn good tire. I outfitted my vehicle with them for running around to oil well sites in the remotest parts of Montana and North Dakota and did plenty of running around in the mountains. Haven't tried out the new models, but if they're anything as good as my SA's, then I highly recommend them. Downside: Not cheap.
    Those are the stock tires that come on the Tacoma TRD. They aren't that great. I'd been driving them for about 15K miles. Good on paved roads. Lacking in snow and rocky terrain. When they wear out I'll probably get KO2 or Wildpeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I like the General Grabber A/Tx, they are great in snow for an AT.

If you really prioritize snow driving, find a second set of wheels and a set of snows.
    I had those on my Sequoia before the Hankooks, and thought they were awesome for the first winter or two, but significantly degraded with time/miles (more than other tires I have had). My anecdotal data point.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Those are the stock tires that come on the Tacoma TRD. They aren't that great. I'd been driving them for about 15K miles. Good on paved roads. Lacking in snow and rocky terrain. When they wear out I'll probably get KO2 or Wildpeaks.
    Huh. Really? I've run the KO2s as well, and personally preferred the Goodyears. Thought the SilentArmors did better on snow/ice/variable conditions and liked their highway manners too. I'll admit I think the KO2s were bomber on rocky terrain and grip on that was probably better, but the Goodyears held their own and never popped on me, and I put them through their paces on that nasty sharp scree that's all over SW Montana. I figured if they survived that, they'd be good enough for most cases. When the temps dipped, the KO2 seemed to become rock hard quicker than the SA's. Neither are as good as a proper winter tire when it's THAT cold, though. Nokian LT3's FTW!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have loved my KOs in the past and past two sets of KO2s. The only place they suffer is when it's -10 in the canyon and slicked over. It's those days that I am tempted to put on a set of true winter tires because the KO2 compound is soft, but not that soft.

I always wonder about the divergent anecdotal experiences when tires are discussed. Are "identical" tires significantly variable in compound/quality? Seems unlikely. Are they significantly variable between sizes? Again, seems unlikely. Even if identical, do they perform drastically different based on specs of the vehicle they are on? Possibly, but hard to think this is a significant factor. Do they perform drastically different based on the driver and how that driver "pushes" them? Again, possibly, but hard to think this is a significant factor.

Or is it just random perception based on the conditions we face in a given day, and because nobody gets to take a car out with one set of tires and then take the same car out with a different set of tires, in the exact same conditions, and the gets to do that same thing again after 10k miles, 20k miles, 30k miles? So we're just going by our memory, our experience with the car, etc, which is pretty faulty.

I mean, what else explains some people extolling the KO2 as the best non-snow tire they have ever run in the snow, and others claiming that they suck in the snow, even for non snow tires?

Tire talk is always funny because "X is the shit!" ..."No, X is just shit"

Nevermind the myriad other variables.

That said, actual snows will always out perform all season/AT etc, in the snow. If you can afford the Hakks, just buy them.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I always wonder about the divergent anecdotal experiences when tires are discussed. Are "identical" tires significantly variable in compound/quality? Seems unlikely. Are they significantly variable between sizes? Again, seems unlikely. Even if identical, do they perform drastically different based on specs of the vehicle they are on? Possibly, but hard to think this is a significant factor. Do they perform drastically different based on the driver and how that driver "pushes" them? Again, possibly, but hard to think this is a significant factor.

Or is it just random perception based on the conditions we face in a given day, and because nobody gets to take a car out with one set of tires and then take the same car out with a different set of tires, in the exact same conditions, and the gets to do that same thing again after 10k miles, 20k miles, 30k miles? So we're just going by our memory, our experience with the car, etc, which is pretty faulty.

I mean, what else explains some people extolling the KO2 as the best non-snow tire they have ever run in the snow, and others claiming that they suck in the snow, even for non snow tires?
    I'm sure there is some compound variation, but I'm guessing different experiences are temperature related. Like my post and montucky's post it seems the KO2s stay pretty damn good until a certain pretty damn cold temp.....SWMT cold is colder than pretty much everywhere else in the country. You really need a true winter tire for the compound to stay soft at -10 to -30 degrees.

I have always ran Cooper ATs or Muds depending on the vehicle. Picked up some studded snows for my Tundra on snow wheels cheap on Craigslist a couple years ago. Probably won't go back to not running dedicated winter tires. Not so much for my driving but avoiding all the new to the outdoors drivers on slick roads has become the most challenging part of skiing and being outside when the temp drops.

if you want back to back testing its just a goggle click away, Car n driver and other web sites do the testing back to back and rate tires so they can tell you

I think the main thing is that people buy some snow tires
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If I were a betting man, this^^

Also temperature (both ambient and generated by friction)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm sure there is some compound variation, but I'm guessing different experiences are temperature related. Like my post and montucky's post it seems the KO2s stay pretty damn good until a certain pretty damn cold temp.....SWMT cold is colder than pretty much everywhere else in the country. You really need a true winter tire for the compound to stay soft at -10 to -30 degrees.
    Lol. Good point! Perhaps our points of view are skewed because of the extreme temps we experience in MT. For the record, I am NOT saying the KO2 is a sucky tire or anything. I ran mine hard and for a very long time. Super durable tire and definitely on my list of recommended tires. But same with the Goodyears. Also a great tire. Both ain't cheap. Neither are a replacement for a winter tire, but the need for that all depends on where you live I suppose. Always wished I could pony up for some steelies for my winters, ready to swap quickly depending on conditions. We've all seen it. 50 degrees one day. -40 the next. Some of those temp swings are no joke! That's when I could literally feel the difference on my BFG's in the span of a single day. Go to work and it's warmish. Front blows in. Go home and it's sketchy AF on that same rubber.

I think a lot of the Falken Wildpeak love, on online forums anyway, are guys trying to justify buying the cheaper of the two options (KO2 vs Wildpeaks) because no Off-Road-Bro will ever willing admit to buying the cheaper version of anything. It is like skiers in Kinkos haha (I wear Kinkos a lot).

However, I might try them when I get new tires next spring.

The cheap Cooper snow tires I bought last year for my Tundra are significantly better than any snowflake rated all terrain I've had in the snow, especially when its icy. Aka the reason we run snows.