Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What is the milage on your Tacoma or Tundra?

Thinking of buying a used Tundra. High milage, high prices...

How far have you driven your Tundra or Tacoma? Any advice you can give to someone who is planning on purchasing a Tundra. I've done the google to learn about frame recalls etc, but I am curious what sort of milage/issues real world 4x4 users are seeing. I'm not looking to rock crawl this thing but I do need a 4x4 for access in the Rockies.

230k on my 04 Tundra with essentially just routine maintenance. It had just under 100k when I bought it.

Almost 9,000 on my Tacoma

2015 tundra - 80k km. No complaints but I think the 16 or 17 came with a bigger fuel tank. So if you like more than 500k between stops and you are comparing the two - something to think about. The late 15/16 had a trailer brake controller that mine didn’t- which I thought kinda cheap for a 50g truck. I was able to retrofit the part from a 16 on mine- totally plug and play- but still. Minor quibbles really, overall very happy with it.

Skip the taco, get a tundra… everyone ultimately ends up with the truck in the end.

60k on my 18’ - thing is a dream!

My dad has a 08, 12, 18 all range from 40k-200k routine maintenance is all he has done. Uses them on a farm in Hawaii and hauls macadamia nuts in the ‘12. His ‘18 has a 2” lift and he uses it on all the sketchy island dirt roads for outdoor access.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

240,000 shows on my '90 pickup but the speedo was disconnected for a at least a couple of years before I obtained it. It has, so far, lived up to the Toyota reputation.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Most definitely a Tundra. Tacoma cabs are too small for me at 6'6" 260.

We have a fleet at work, I’ve seen ~10 trucks make it over 300k. I’m not aware of repeated issues on any of the trucks. We did have a couple Chevy’s in the mix and both of them lost transmissions after their transmission flush

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Uses them on a farm in Hawaii and hauls macadamia nuts in the ‘12.
    That's cool. And delicious.

Sequoia, not a Tundra, but close enough, same engine and chassis. 204k on my 2006. Bought 6 years ago with 125k. For the most part no issues, and I have done a little wheeling and it does great (3 White Rim trips). That said, since you specifically asked about 4wd, I did have an issue with the 4wd actuator that took a while for my mechanic to diagnose. But once he figured out the problem for good, no issues.

You obviously have done some research, but the worst thing about them is the gas mileage. I get 13-14 around town, sometimes even lower, and when pulling a camper, it's in the 8-10 range. Driving 60mph I can get up to 17. All of that hurts when gas is close to $4/g.

I love my sequoia.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    That's cool. And delicious.
    14 acres - half Mac nuts and half Kona coffee… he’s living a pretty rad life after quitting teaching in his late 40’s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2000 tundra with 230k. Got it with 120k. Mostly minor maintenance. Did just throw a code but haven't fixed it yet. The 4.7 is sweet. If you're towing anything but a driftboat might wanna look at newer ones as 1st gens are basically a light 1/2 ton. Had an 88 pick up before it that I sold with just under 300k on the 22re. Wife also has a 05 4runner and we have a 89 runner so I guess you could say we're pretty happy with older Toyota's. We also like to wheel them to pretty cool spots in MT and they are super capable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    2012 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior with the Bilsteins etc. 155k miles. Routine maintenance. Needs some love (new headlights cause the OEM ones are hazed to shit, new windshield cause it's crazy pitted, paint is rough with lots of "Montana Pinstripes" from driving narrow FS roads......otherwise she runs like a fucking champ.

2016 Tundra TRD Pro. 86,000 miles. Get about 15 mpg combined, but don't keep close track of it. If I'm worrying about fuel burn I take the milf mobile.

Pretty heavy timing chain tensioner rattle when cold, research says it's not an issue and replacement will likely not fix it.

Great truck, but it's worth too much money right now. I'm thinking of selling it.

200k on a 2001 with nothing but routine maintenance; sold it, and now have a 2011 with 115k, same great reliability. I get around 18mpg. Love these trucks.

Might be useful. Toyota mechanic, I've watched some of his car videos. 6 videos in this list, many on his channel

253k so far on my 2006 V8 4runner, same engine as the 05-09 Tundra. I'm pretty confident everything around the engine will fail before it does. Purchased used from the east coast so rust is present.

Had 260k-ish miles on my ‘91 pickup when I sold it 10 years ago. Motor ran like a top, and I believe is still on the road today. My 2004 Tacoma only has 140k. Was my daily driver for 6 or so years and has largely been a driveway queen and dump runner the last few years so the mileage hasn’t gone up much, but it’s been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it across the country and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

2007 Tundra TRD. A bit large for the city, but it's comfortable as fuck. 97k When I bought it 4 years ago, now 130k. Needs some love.

But...

A few years ago I needed a car in a pinch. Bought a 2004 Sequoia on first glance from a craigslist ad. Had 127k. I thought. Going through the car later, I found an oil change receipt with a matching Vin and the car had 230k. So he swapped the cluster. I kept driving it to 190k, till someone cut the catalytic converters last Fall. At that point, I donated the car. The Sequoia was a really great car.

This is all great but does it really justify the ridiculous prices these Toyotas go for? My Chevy Tahoe just turned 300k. Tough to beat that 350 engine and the 5.3 liter version has a lot of towing power. Silverado has 3,000 more pounds of towing power over a Tundra.

I have a 2003 first gen TRD Tundra with 165K and have had it for 4 years. I think they are the best Toyota trucks. Perfect size and a V8. The only issue I had is with the AC, which went bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    2012 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior with the Bilsteins etc. 155k miles. Routine maintenance. Needs some love (new headlights cause the OEM ones are hazed to shit, new windshield cause it's crazy pitted, paint is rough with lots of "Montana Pinstripes" from driving narrow FS roads......otherwise she runs like a fucking champ.
    The $20 headlight refresh kit from any auto store actually works, much to my surprise. 20 minutes of work, tops. Totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    This is all great but does it really justify the ridiculous prices these Toyotas go for? My Chevy Tahoe just turned 300k. Tough to beat that 350 engine and the 5.3 liter version has a lot of towing power. Silverado has 3,000 more pounds of towing power over a Tundra.
    How will people know you're a "CORE MOUNTAIN BRO" without a Toyota?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I have no idea what they go for now. But a few years ago (just looked, almost 7 years ago), got my 06 Sequoia with 125k at auction for $12k. Was worth every penny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

only about 20k kms on my Taco, it made more sense to buy new than used, I generaly keep vehicals a long tie

I had a beer with the tacoma salesman last night so I asked how was business, he said people are not impressed when you tell em it will take 2 months for their truck to show up

I have seen 4 out of 6 vehicals in the bike area p-lot be Tacoma's, same with the Back country ski area lots of tacoma's,

in compro the sledhead P-lot will be full of large american PU's and there will be garbage thrown everywhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know