Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What is the milage on your Tacoma or Tundra?

Had a 03 access cab that ran till 276k mi when the radiator blew catastrophically and the engine seized up. Had frame rust issues as well.

187k mi on my 04 double cab currently
    Bought it for $6k off a guy in Breck in march 2020 w 160k on it. Avg 12 mpg in Denver traffic.

Suspension was about done for so I replaced the original TRD Bilstiens with a Old Man Emu OEM 3” kit & add a leaf with some new BFGs. New headlights, taillights & bulbs were an easy upgrade as well.

The double cab 2nd row seats big enough for 3 booster seats in a row. Added a topper this summer. Looking forward to a decent family ski vehicle for this winter’s trips to the bunny hill.

2nd / 3rd gens are probably better for mpg, tech & creature comforts, but I love a paid off 1st generation Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by TransplantedFromRMNP; 10-11-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    stay outta my line

Odom was just over 400,000km on my '85 p/u when I traded it in for my '03 taco in '08. Blew a slack adjuster on the timing chain on the original 22RE, ripping up the aluminum chain cover. Dropped in a 2nd hand replacement 22RE from a rolled donor over a weekend, only a couple screws left over, and got another 100k outa her before the rust did her in.
    '03 has been excellent, nearing 280,000km on the ticker. No major repairs, but I threw in an extra leaf into the rear suspension a couple years ago. A couple times a year I get someone asking what I'd part with it for. I tell them so far she is damn near irreplaceable for my needs/use. Just about time to load the sled into her bed for the season.

I’m not into buying new vehicles but grabbed a ‘21 Limited Tundra- year end sale 2020 for $46,300. Added some upgrades for about $4000, drove it 3,750 miles and sold it in July for $58,500. So that worked out.
    MPGs were hovering around 12 on avg. Once I found out about the Hybrid rumor and entirely new platform I knew it was time to capitalize and sell while the market was hot. That gas mileage is BS. I’d don’t care if it’s a truck. Now I’m lined up to buy at MSRP on new Hybrid model which should be at or below what I flipped my $46k buy for.
    Tomorrow 10/12 the embargo drops for the media reviewers driving experience on the ‘22 Tundra - plus mpgs for the non hybrid are revealed..

CascadeLuke how did that pencil out for you with WA taxes included? I about had a heart attack paying tax on a 12k truck a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    CascadeLuke how did that pencil out for you with WA taxes included? I about had a heart attack paying tax on a 12k truck a few years ago.
    It was definitely a factor- took about a $4k bite out. I upgraded the wheels and then sold factory set for $950 - so if you take that minus the money I put in.. all in all, a little over $5k net.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    It was definitely a factor- took about a $4k bite out. I upgraded the wheels and then sold factory set for $950 - so if you take that minus the money I put in.. all in all, a little over $5k net.
    Not bad still! Especially for a purchase that wasn't necessarily expected to be an investment.

Have a 06 Tundra with 200k miles. Runs well with no major maintenance so far. Need to replace idler bearing cause it’s howling. But I am considering selling and going bigger with a 97 f350 7.3 diesel crew cab with 200k mile and a plow. Advertised at $7800 but at least needs injectors and front breaks. Good deal? What am I getting myself into going from Tundra to F350?

A little off topic but thought I would mention. Have an 02 4runnr >200K. Noticed a little pink spooge (medical slang for any unidentifiable bodily leakage) at the radiator cap. Turns out the radiator has a separate circuit cooling the transmission. A micro leak of tranny fluid will take down your engine over time. Either reroute tranny fluid to its own little separate radiator in front of the main or replace radiator (which I did)

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    A little off topic but thought I would mention. Have an 02 4runnr >200K. Noticed a little pink spooge (medical slang for any unidentifiable bodily leakage) at the radiator cap. Turns out the radiator has a separate circuit cooling the transmission. A micro leak of tranny fluid will take down your engine over time. Either reroute tranny fluid to its own little separate radiator in front of the main or replace radiator (which I did)
    Toyota coolant is pink FYI
    Live Free or Die

2006 taco, 4dr, 4wd, just over 450,000km on it.

How about this beauty that recently went up for auction? '94 4x4 5MT with only 84 miles on it!
    https://carbuzz.com/news/this-1993-t...-just-84-miles

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I’m not into buying new vehicles but grabbed a ‘21 Limited Tundra- year end sale 2020 for $46,300. Added some upgrades for about $4000, drove it 3,750 miles and sold it in July for $58,500. So that worked out.
    MPGs were hovering around 12 on avg. Once I found out about the Hybrid rumor and entirely new platform I knew it was time to capitalize and sell while the market was hot. That gas mileage is BS. I’d don’t care if it’s a truck. Now I’m lined up to buy at MSRP on new Hybrid model which should be at or below what I flipped my $46k buy for.
    Tomorrow 10/12 the embargo drops for the media reviewers driving experience on the ‘22 Tundra - plus mpgs for the non hybrid are revealed..
    Nice flip!

I agree that the 5.7 is bombproof, but not the greatest engine married to the tundra platform because of 2 things:

1. Damn it drinks. I get more like 15-16, but i have heard of multiple instances of tundras that get 12.

2. The 5.7 doesn't tow that well. Towing a 24ft mastercraft to Lake powell i was only getting around 10-11mpg. Based on the size of the truck and towing capability, I should (and would) be thinking of a diesel if I towed more often.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Toyota coolant is pink FYI
    "Pink Milkshake" is the correct Toyota forums nomenclature, and it's a known issue on 3rd gens.

Was pink coolant the factory fill in 2002? Could (and should) have been replaced by now anyway so not a reliable gauge. Agree with the pink more likely being coolant. Easy to verify. Not familiar with this particular model but integrated trans coolers are usually in the bottom or sides of the radiator. Trans fluid at the neck would be weird.

2010 Tacoma, 136,00mi on it. The only non-routine maintenance it's had was replacing the air compressor because of a rattle that developed just after warranty expired. Hoping to make it another 5 years until my oldest gets her license and then she can have it.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Nice flip!

I agree that the 5.7 is bombproof, but not the greatest engine married to the tundra platform because of 2 things:

1. Damn it drinks. I get more like 15-16, but i have heard of multiple instances of tundras that get 12.

2. The 5.7 doesn't tow that well. Towing a 24ft mastercraft to Lake powell i was only getting around 10-11mpg. Based on the size of the truck and towing capability, I should (and would) be thinking of a diesel if I towed more often.
    The cam shaft tower seals are known to leak on the engine, but it's typically just a slow leak. Worth eyeballing if you're buying used as you can see the leakage if present from front wheel wells
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-...se-read.20102/

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Was pink coolant the factory fill in 2002? Could (and should) have been replaced by now anyway so not a reliable gauge. Agree with the pink more likely being coolant. Easy to verify. Not familiar with this particular model but integrated trans coolers are usually in the bottom or sides of the radiator. Trans fluid at the neck would be weird.
    Pretty sure 3rd gens came from the factory with red, but who knows what's happened since. The trans cooler is on the bottom of the rad, and when it fails the mix goes both ways creating a pink froth in the trans fluid and coolant.

Gotcha. I read the pink drink being at the neck outside the radiator but that makes more sense.

Speaking of which, valley plate leaks on the UR series engines are common enough that I would check that if buying used. Google it. May take a mirror or some crawling around.

Yeah, he didn't describe it very well. And the transmission fails first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, he didn't describe it very well. And the transmission fails first.
    Its one of the only common issues with those trucks that I'm aware of. Happened to my buddy, but he uses the shit out if that truck and tows a camper with it, so...

Almost 220k miles on my 16 Taco. I'll get another when I top 300K+ miles. Mostly just oil changes with full synthetic for service. So dependable!

Quote Originally Posted by bigt View Post
    Have a 06 Tundra with 200k miles. Runs well with no major maintenance so far. Need to replace idler bearing cause it’s howling. But I am considering selling and going bigger with a 97 f350 7.3 diesel crew cab with 200k mile and a plow. Advertised at $7800 but at least needs injectors and front breaks. Good deal? What am I getting myself into going from Tundra to F350?

I’ll add we did the timing chain at 90k and 170k.

No comment on Tundra to F350 move? Shouldn’t have expected a comment with this being Toyota fan boi thread.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Its one of the only common issues with those trucks that I'm aware of. Happened to my buddy, but he uses the shit out if that truck and tows a camper with it, so...
    It will eventually happen to all of them if the factory radiator is still installed. Even after the milkshake episode, the trans can still function after a flush, but you're on borrowed time.

There are a few more issues with 3rd gen 4runners...

There are no manual transmissions after 2000. A manual swap is possible, but a big pain compared to earlier years, and the donor needs to be a match.

The box section on the frame where the rear control arm is bolted on is probably the worst spot for frame rust, and if it's allowed to get to the point of failure, there's a good chance it's going to be scrapped.

The 3.4 has low oil pressure that gets lower with miles, and yet also manages to leak from pretty much everywhere.

There was a recall for the lower ball joints. The rear springs sag. The rear axle seals will leak at some point.

Support from Toyota on some body parts, etc, is limited. Even the junkyard supply is dwindling at this point.

That said, my brother's 3rd gen went a half-million miles before he finally gave up on it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going.
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 10-12-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigt View Post
    No comment on Tundra to F350 move? Shouldn’t have expected a comment with this being Toyota fan boi thread.
    there are forums on the ford 7.3 that will probably do a better job of telling you what you are getting into

my take is that in general unless you really have an app that needs to tow/ carry heavy shit you would be openning up yourself to needless expensive up-keep with any diesel truck

OTOH its a 25 yr old truck which may be good or bad and there will be lots of used parts around
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I feel like the MPG's on the twin turbo is disappointing.