Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    thanks all
    sure, it might be overthinking.
    However, being myself also a happy customer of Uniqlo and Decathlon (not sure you have it in USA, it is a french cheap sport retailer, very popular here in Europe) and user of their fleeces, i do believe there is a difference between cheap fleece and those done in Polartec (with all its variants). And we all have items for different temperatures and activities, so i was trying to fix the gap between R1 (old model) and the Arct Proton LT or the R3, that's it.
    I guess the cheapest Polartec fleece is the NorthFace 100 Glacier?

If you're already a Uniqlo fan their high pile fleece is pretty comparable to the old R2's at a fraction of the price. Generally speaking the uniqlo stuff is all very high quality and uses top quality materials (a ton of Toray fabrics, etc.) that are just not the newest and shiniest (which fleece definitely isn't). So spend $30 and get the Uniqlo and call it good. If we're talking riding lifts then sure there are more techy things, but you won't get your money's worth. If it's a touring piece there are better options, but they get spendy. Since you seem to like polartech/malden mills then something in alpha or alpha direct would be a great option here or the Patagonia air/nano-air series (developed with Toray).

MH monkey man (light) makes a great midlayer for skiing. breathes very well. plenty warm with a light base and good shell.

I'd also look at BD grid fleece (coefficient?) a bit pricey but well made and breathes.

I'm a fan of fleece with built-in air gaps. the times I wore standard fleece while skiing I sweat like a mf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    My favorite fleece fabric (not sure if you can still buy it) as the next step in warmth above an r1 is the original polartec powerstretch with the smooth face. That stuff is great, very warm and the smooth face and tighter fit of most garments sewn out of it reduces bunching.
    I've been hoarding Powerstretch layers from Ebay as brands seems to have moved on in favor of "active insulation" yet Powerstretch is the perfect layer 90% of the time. I'm embarrassed to say how many I have hoarded away in my closet now. I find myself saving my beloved Patagonia Piton Hybrid hoody for special days since I can't find a replacement. 80%+ of my touring is done in a powerstretch layer with a wind shell.
    I've avoided the Nanoair/Proton category as the insulation apparently packs out rather quickly under pack straps, lumbar region, etc. I'm also not that sweaty going uphill and I don't mind a quick layer change at transitions, although most days I can just ski up and downhill in a base layer and powerstretch layer.

Patagonia Pitons still pop up on eBay just don't buy any in size Large, those are mine.

midlayer/fleece mess... too many models and variants (arcteryx patagonia etc)

From PG and listed the lightest first, I have an R1 full zip, Nano-Air, and a Better Sweater full zip. The R1 sees the most days and the Better Sweater only coming out on the coldest Utah days. The Nano Air is great on cooler days and I almost forget it’s under my hardshell.
    My $37 Outdoor Research Ascendant Hoody is similar in warmth to the Nano Air and fits so much better than the PG.
    I also have FRS R1 hoodie and leave it and the OR home because of the hood but am happy with them both
    My Arcteryx Covert Cardigan is close to the Better Sweater and rides in the car regularly but gets left behind most days.
    The Polartec base layers I grabbed from Micol have blown up my mid layer rotation since they are warm.
    I would agree with this from the FRS site
    “This shirt worn with one of our hardshell jackets will be enough 80% of non storm days. If you wore two of these and a hardshell, the combination would most likely cover the other 20% and 95% of storm days as long as you are active”