Explosivs are dead. Long live the Explosivs.

Title says it all, I've been skiing Volkl Explosivs (maroon Buddhas) from 2005 because I've never found something like it again. Maybe I didn't look that hard, but now it's time.
    So who's making super straight, mid 90's underfoot, flat tail, super stiff skis? The ones that are literally the perfect choice for every single day that isn't fresh powder. To quote a rando on a lift at Kirkwood "WOW you're still on those, they are amazing. They're like having a German on your back whipping you and yelling MAAAAAX SCHNELLLLL!" I want a ski that makes me feel that way again-- they give you back every ounce of energy you put into them, but if you ski weak you will have a bad time.

MX98?

Probably not straight enough.

Explosivs are dead. Long live the Explosivs.

Ski a Volkl Mantra M102. You won’t miss your Explosivs anymore, IMO.

And it’s just that…an opinion. Had some White Wizards back in the day and loved them. Technology has evolved and makes the Explosiv so dated.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

what length? 180 or 190?

I have some 180 neons that are not an every day ski but definitely fun in the slush a few days each spring.

If you're a 190 guy I recently posted a psa for some K2 versions from fleabay.

If they are your jam I say find more xplosoivs!!

I still have a 3 digit serial number pair of Explosiv’s from 1986 in a 190 that I ski every year. They are still out there!!

My story: delamed the OG neons (slush bumps in Scott chute at Alpine Meadows, BTW), warranty replaced by the blues, sold em on here years ago, even with the Marker binders. Funny how good that ski was.
    I have ON3P BGs and Moment Bibbys/DWs that are soooo much better, join us in this century and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Such a serious second post.

13 years in.

Need to see tits or gtfo

Then I gift Buddha explosives
    . . .

Folsom Rad Dad’s for the real dentists who want a semi custom MX98 compatriot

96 waist, 25m at 192/199cm, flat tail, glass+maple core.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by NEskidork View Post
    So who's making super straight, mid 90's underfoot, flat tail, super stiff skis?
    That's not funny man. Too soon.

Aforementioned Kahunasploders, same seller has some explosiv 2's in good shape. There's a cheap pair of Kneissl Tankers been on ksl for months, in need of some work. If the tails haven't blown open they would be a worthy successor. Good luck, I would recommend demoing some new shit and moving on. Wishing for skis that no longer exist is a miserable existence IME.

Second post is a bit demanding but I’ll bite at the M102 recommendation.

It probably is very close to the explosive in feel… on soft snow. Much friendlier and more fun, though. Light years ahead in usability. You’d probably be floored.

But it does have some carbon in it, which can be noisy on ice.

I’m tempted to sell mine for an MPro 105 or MFree 108. Both of which likely charge just as hard and should be quieter in shit-fuck conditions.

I love the M102 in all mid snow. I’d probably love either Dynastar in mid snow even more and hate either ski less on ice.

I don’t like carbon on resort skis.

Head monster 98 is the most recent “modern” ski in this class. The 184 is true to length, where the 190 explosiv was actually 186cm.

imo- the new m102 is more like a Blizzard Bonefide than a monster or explosiv. Mass is your friend in rough snow.

What about some super Bros? Also no longer made, but seems like it would fit the bill?

Another vote for mx98. If an Exploder is like have a German on your back yelling Mach Schnell, then an MX98 is like having an Austrian with spurs on his boots on your back yelling SIEG F**KING HEIL
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    What about some super Bros? Also no longer made, but seems like it would fit the bill?
    Oh, no. Animals.

I have a pair of 180 white Wizards for sale.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Head monster 98 is the most recent “modern” ski in this class. The 184 is true to length, where the 190 explosiv was actually 186cm.
    This. Monster 98s replaced my blue Explosiv 2s. Very stiff tips and not crazy stiff underfoot so it's damn easy to ski for how stable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I have a pair of 180 white Wizards for sale.

Posted? didn't see the thread. Sold mine on here a long time ago and could be talked into another pair if the price is right. How many holes in them and what do the topsheets look like? Likely would be wall decoration as my Neons are still running strong for 1-2 slush bump days a year.

Also fwiw I have some swiss-cheezed 17(2?) buddahs that I'd be happy to ship if someone wants them.

Never skied Explosivs, but how about Down SD 105s? Available in 187, slightly-sub-40m-radius,tough as shit.

banff ski swap this weekend:

Odds are some of the CMH branded explosives avail for $100 or less

PM me if anyone wants me to look.