Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheapo mans version of Kastle FX94, MX98

I've been looking for a Kastle MX98 or FX94 for a while now.
    But I'm a cheapo - and a lot of Kastle's stuff has kind of gone the way of "lets please the masses." (Which I get, I'm cheap and not going to make Kastle a lot of money, they're going to serve the dentists and people who are actually willing to spend a lot of coin.)

(I actually have a MX98 in 174, but it's just too short.)

A friend picked up a FX95HP in 189, but they, while great skiing a wider set of conditions, don't have the same bite and preciseness I was accustomed to in the FX94. (It's probably the early-rise tip and tail on the FX95HP.) The 95 is still pretty smooth though. And they felt ridiculously short (at least compared to the FX94/176cm) even at 189.

I really do like the MX98's though they're not as nimble as the FX94. (And I don't think it's only a weight issue.)

If I wanted to get as close to the MX98 or FX94 what other options are out there?
    Stuff I've thought of already; Monster 98, or perhaps 88. Stockli (though it seems they've mostly wimped out too from what I can tell. And they're hard to find.) Bonafide 97 - but still hard to find cheap, since it only came out last year.

Perhaps a 186 FX94 will turn up soon, and I can snag it. But short of that, what other skis are in the same general area-code?

Thoughts?

---
    Edited to add my summary of the thread...the TLDR for anyone who might reference this later.
    (This could save you from needing to read the whole thread to get a general feel.)

Some good alternatives to the Kastle FX94/MX98 (2nd gen):

Head Monster 98 (perhaps 88 too), Kastle FX95HP, old Stormrider DP Pro, Newer MX99/98 (not as strong, in general, but still good - though not cheap at the time this was written.)

Next tier; Rossignol E98/E100, Older Mantra or the new Mantra 102, Blizzard Bonafide or the newer Bonifide 97. (Or wider, the Carbon Cochise 108.)
    Last edited by gregorys; 10-26-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Older/used Bonafides, any of the early Dynastar Legend in the 186cm length.

I like that area code but think my taste are in a different neighborhood. Liked the FX95HP over the 94 - with the increased accessibility you mentioned. I’ve since gone to Stockli Stormrider 95 for that slot and happy, though I don’t see that as the ski you seek. Probably too light. Unmatched suspension and flex.
    My Kastle skis now are BMX105 HP for that bruiser masher slot and trying new ZX108 for a 50/50 traveler.
    The Stockli AR would be up your alley but it’s bank. Got a pair in the wrapper and selling before I mount as it’s probably unnecessary for me and more towards your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Older/used Bonafides, any of the early Dynastar Legend in the 186cm length.
    What he said, Bonafide ski 99% as well as the MX98 IMHO (maybe not quite the edge hold but damn close) but are 50% the price on the used market.

LP 105 in the 184 length would rule

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by tyreed70 View Post
    What he said, Bonafide ski 99% as well as the MX98 IMHO (maybe not quite the edge hold but damn close) but are 50% the price on the used market.
    No, I don't think so - at least not for me. Perhaps the Bonafide 97 does, but the older versions (not the OG but the ~2016-2020 versions) sure don't.

I skied a cheap pair I picked up in 180 for half a year (before I bent them and then my cousin borrowed and lost one), and IMO, they're not remotely close. They're certainly not terrible, but they're just not that impressive. I'd rather ski the Cochise, if I'm going there. But the Cochise isn't nearly as good on stuff like steep chaulky lines.

I've got big brute bashers (and they do that *way* better than the Bonafide). This fills the precise, icy, not quite GS ski gap (and the bonafide fails that gap too, IMO).

They are fairly cheap at times though. Certainly less than Kastles.

---
    The Stockli AR would be up your alley but it’s bank.
    Holy moly! They are definitely bank. Though at 83 waist, I'm not sure they'd be the right fit.

I should note that I'm skiing virtually all my days on Hood, in often heavy snow. Not a lot of really hard snow days. But this would fill all those low tide, firm(er) condition days - some might all be on the groom.

---
    Which is why I've not really thought about the LP105, or Pro riders. Though I'd love to ski a pair and see what I'm missing. (though there's also quite a lot of overlap with the non-OG Cochise 108.)

--
    To be honest, I *really* don't _need_ these. But I liked the FX94's (and the MX98's that are too short) and I'm kind of wanting to fill that slot in again.

My current active quiver.
    Volkl Two (186)
    OG Bodacious 186
    OG Katana 183
    Carbon Cochise (185,192 Haven't skied the 192's yet.)
    OG Cochise 185
    GS ski in 183.

I'm not in love with the Katana. The V-Two's come out rarely. (I have way too much fun on the Bodacious) The GS skis rock when it's super hard, but it's not that hard that often. And I'm not a big "carving" guy anyway.
    So it's Cochise or Bodacious about 95% of the time.

But a super-composed, pretty locked in 90-100mm ski for a few inches of new, on firm, steep chalk, etc, seems like what I'd like to have.

As long as I'm wishing - (like Suzie) I'd like a pony.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddpvi0mawk141.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	627.1 KB 
ID:	388300
    Last edited by gregorys; 10-08-2021 at 02:07 PM.

How about looking for some Ross E100? They hold their own! Key word locked in.

Edit: I had a pair of the 2017? black, blue and yellow vintage, 182 with Axial 2 MFX on R19 plates, and man they rocked the frontside! Hmmm, might have to search for another pair...

I’ve got some contenders for sale here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...er110-LibertyV

got some mantras, 184, great shape, i give u good price.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Why not look at an 80ish waist "technical frontside" since you want a "locked-in" feel?

Line Blade?

High on my list for a (somewhat) versatile hard snow ski, but that's only based on reviews.. Haven't yet had the chance to get on some.

[QUOTE=gregorys;6426335]No, I don't think so - at least not for me. Perhaps the Bonafide 97 does, but the older versions (not the OG but the ~2016-2020 versions) sure don't.

I skied a cheap pair I picked up in 180 for half a year (before I bent them and then my cousin borrowed and lost one), and IMO, they're not remotely close. They're certainly not terrible, but they're just not that impressive. I'd rather ski the Cochise, if I'm going there. But the Cochise isn't nearly as good on stuff like steep chaulky lines.

I've got big brute bashers (and they do that *way* better than the Bonafide). This fills the precise, icy, not quite GS ski gap (and the bonafide fails that gap too, IMO).

They are fairly cheap at times though. Certainly less than Kastles.

---
    I am an east coast guy (so steep chalky shoot is not in my vocab) but they fill the cheater gs ski for me in a 187 or whatever the longest length is. But I also ski the Brahma 88 and 82 so maybe I am just a fanboy? Do they rail like my race stock GS skis..... no nothing does on EC ice.

Now you have me thinking I was wrong when I skied the mx 98 off the demo truck ... hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’ve got some contenders for sale here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...er110-LibertyV
    I was lusting after your 194cm MX's. But I've not skied anything in the 190+ range, and I suspect the MX98 in 194 would kick my ass. (And it probably wouldn't be optimal in places where I'd like a little more nimble.)

Edited to add: I also considered the E98's.

Convince me I won't die on the MX98's.

Some other responses.
    I've skied the Mantra before the M5, when it had camber. (Circa 2013-2014, IIRC)
    It wasn't bad. Pretty nice. But still not close to the Kastles, at least the way I remember it.

I've considered the Rossi E98/E100 - but I don't really recall anyone having a lot of superlatives to say about it - so it was not really a strong consideration. But I've never skied one.

I don't know that I want "super locked in" - I don't think the Kastle FX94 was super locked in. But I'd describe it as locked in when you wanted it, and able to release when you wanted. (Though it sure didn't pivot well - but that's OK, because I'll ski something else if that's what I want.)

(I think my descriptions suck, but I know the "feel" I want.)

I haven’t skied Kastle in a while but have skied the Monster 98 and have owned the Monster 108 and own the Monster 82. They are strong powerful skis that don’t fuck around. Hold an edge like crazy but can release fairly easily when commanded. Super damp and stable.

The closest thing that I have skied to an MX98 is a Volkl Explosiv and next the metal Mantra.. Also, maybe Garbones, I bet that the Enforcer 100 skis a lot more like a cheap MX98 more than Bones. But then again, not much can stand up to an MX98 (current version excluded.

BTW, I saw some MX99 on bay for like $400. I'd scoop those up.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

5'9"/170. IMHO, the FX94 is the opposite of the Bonafide. Skied a 2017 180 Bones for a few days and was not a fan; felt like skiing a dead wood plank with weak carving, no pop off the tail, and (at my weight) no redeeming qualities. Put in a fair number of days on FX94, which were energetic and fun, carved fine and were the "easiest" ski I've ever been on. Too light for inbounds at speed though, so upgraded to FX95HP. These are rock-solid rocket ships and super fun, but have a narrow sweet spot due to lots of rocker. If you try to drive the tips in Spring slush, the rocker hooks and the front of the ski plows, so you have to remember to stay off the tips when the snow is heavy and soft. They're magic if you stay centered though (considering remounting 1cm behind the line). Still have them. Also have 2012-2014 Mantra, which is like a heavier and damper FX94. Super predictable and good all-around. Kinda bland compared to the wild ride of the FX95HP though, lol. Had the Experience100 for awhile (mounted 1.5cm behind line), great-carving energetic groomer zoomer but smaller tips and not as versatile as the others (a larger turn radius would improve it).

Picked up Mantra 102 for this season thinking it might split the difference between the FX95HP and the 2013 Mantra. Will try MX99 and new MX98 if I ever get a chance to demo.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-08-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Augment 98? They might be even more coin than the kastles though.

Blossom might be making something that fits the bill as well.

Otherwise older stormriders or super bros aren’t far off.

Salomon Stance 96

Mantra 102 184 on bay for $400
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I haven't spent a lot of time on the Rossi E98/100 in the long lengths but they were exactly the skis that came to mind when I read your descriptions. More like a GS ski than a bone and less like a GS ski than a .... GS ski. And "all mountain" GS ski. It's been a long time but, yeah, kinda like the one time I rode MX98's back in the day. I had one of my better pinnacle ski experiences dropping off the top of Bachelor on a pair of E98's and my rode at the bottom was leaving without me - had to hurry. I think the E98/100's were obscured behind the S series craze and were never fully evaluated by this crowd. They are pretty badass if you've got enough room and scrotal circumference to let them run and do their thing.

I guess here's what I hear, and have read in this thread and elsewhere...

Newer MX99's seem to have gotten a little more "accessible" (at least what I've read) - I think that generally means they've taken out the what I like best to make them sell better to people who want "easier" skis. Though I think the 2021-2022 MX98 is back, and perhaps more like what I crave. But it will be years before that's affordable enough to get me to buy a pair. The FX96HP, it seems, lost the metal, and is (IMO) inferior to the prior HP versions. I hear that like the MX, they are returning to a more beefy version 96Ti, more like the 95HP. It remains to be seen how close they come back to the real deal. (Interestingly enough, the FX96HP is at skiessentials, right now, for $500 - new.)

Probably next in line is a Monster.

Then an E98/E100, perhaps an older Mantra.

If I wanted to go wider and overlap with the Cochise (which may not make a lot of sense on pretty hard days) the Monster 108 or LPR.

It'd be nice to get a demo day this year - I'd really like to ski the Bones 97, and the new Mantra 102. (And the new Katana and Cochise.)

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I think you need to get off the Kastle kick because, like me, you can't afford them. I got my 194 MX98s after three years of daily scouring the internet, awesome ski but burned a lot of matches looking for unicorns.

Reading what you're saying about other skis, I really think you'd like the E98/100. It skis a lot like the old MX88 if it was wider. They're well damped, quiet at speed, carve like all get out, and very much like to be pushed. Have a very good edge feel, without sounding plinky and hollow like mantras and bonafides on bulletproof hardpack. The only downside for me is the 22m radius is a bit tight for my current preferences (same problem with the bones for me). But I still have a pair in the back of the closet for when I burn through the rest of the fleet. You can find them cheap as chips, worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I think you need to get off the Kastle kick because, like me, you can't afford them.
    Hey there, don't rain on my parade!

I've actually owned quite a few Kastles - but yes, I've found them very cheaply.

I actually had a line on a pair of FX94s in Hood River via Craigslist last spring, until the deadbeat ghosted me, after agreeing to meet me after a day of skiing. Waited an hour for him, after going a fair bit out of my way already.
    (The story's actually longer than that, but, dude, what a wanker.)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Hey there, don't rain on my parade!

I've actually owned quite a few Kastles - but yes, I've found them very cheaply.

I actually had a line on a pair of FX94s in Hood River via Craigslist last spring, until the deadbeat ghosted me, after agreeing to meet me after a day of skiing. Waited an hour for him, after going a fair bit out of my way already.
    (The story's actually longer than that, but, dude, what a wanker.)
    His daddy probably let the trust funds hit the account after he begged forgiveness for his Insta scandal that rocked both the communities of Scarsdale and Cherry Hills Village concurrently. He no longer needed the cash to support his girlfriend's Voss and Coke diet, so he blew you off; what a wanker. If it makes you feel better he ghosted the dude that was going to buy his third Land Rover of the year too on the same day. Hood River ain't what it used to be.

Happy hunting.
    "Let's be careful out there."