Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Atomic Mimic Professional Liner

Just got fitted for a pair of Mimic professional liners and HOLY SHIT... I am stoked. The feeling of the foam filling your boot shell truly is a unique experience. At the price I really am feeling that standard foam liners like intuitions are going to be dropping by the wayside.

These have been discussed on Gear30 2 or 3 times now; who all is skiing in them? '

Matt Manser from Atomic talks about it here on episode 132.

Ellsworth talks about it here after being fitted on episode 140.

Carbon fiber upper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7309.JPG 
Views:	507 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	388184

Rear foam ports
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7310.JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	388185

I somehow missed these before now.
    What boot do you have them in?

I have them in my Cochise 130, was looking at replacing my shells but after debating between the Hawx Ultra XTD vs Lange XT3 vs Fischer ranger free couldn’t find anything that flexed like the Cochise.

I linked the relevant gear30 pods in my original thread.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How many moneys?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

$219 through my local shop

Including labor and fitting? Half the price of a zipfit. Hmmmmm

Market competition is a good thing. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    $219 through my local shop

That's a pretty damn good deal since MSRP is $299.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Including labor and fitting? Half the price of a zipfit. Hmmmmm

Market competition is a good thing. We'll see...

Yup, all included.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That's a pretty damn good deal since MSRP is $299.
    I was pretty damn shocked too, maybe a little homie hookup from the shop owner after dropping $1000 on custom foot beds and shells for MrsSkiLyft.

Getting these guys fitted up with the boot, I am super stoked, as a guy who can fit into a raptor 95mm with minimal work.

Just got fitted for a pair of Mimic professional liners and HOLY SHIT... I am stoked. The feeling of the foam filling your boot shell truly is a unique experience. At the price I really am feeling that standard foam liners like intuitions are going to be dropping by the wayside.

These have been discussed on Gear30 2 or 3 times now; who all is skiing in them? '

Matt Manser from Atomic talks about it here on episode 132.

Ellsworth talks about it here after being fitted on episode 140.
    Glad you are stoked on the new Mimic Professional liner, that's always awesome to hear. I really think this is something new and different in the world of liners and I can't wait until more people get the chance to experience it for themselves.

As always, if anyone has any questions about the liner, its materials, the process, etc. drop them here and I will get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Glad you are stoked on the new Mimic Professional liner, that's always awesome to hear. I really think this is something new and different in the world of liners and I can't wait until more people get the chance to experience it for themselves.
    As always, if anyone has any questions about the liner, its materials, the process, etc. drop them here and I will get back to you.
    How does one find a shop that carries the new liner? The online retail located shows every one from REI to rental shops.
    And better a question, how does one know that they have previous experience foaming boots before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How does one find a shop that carries the new liner? The online retail located shows every one from REI to rental shops.
    And better a question, how does one know that they have previous experience foaming boots before.
    I’ll answer the second, the shop owner I was fit by was honest and basically said, you’re my first. And if I fuck up, don’t worry you’ll get a pair of liners that are correct eventually.
    After being part of the process it’s a 1 banana job, put liner in special mimic sleeve, heat liner, put in foot beds, put in shell, add shoe horn, step in, adjust tongue, buckle, step on special platform and pull down, inject with foam (no exit ports like surefit so you just add until you can’t due to resistance), hang out for 10-15 minutes, walk around the shop to eliminate any air bubbles; and your done.

I suspect that Atomic has put a lot of work into making the foaming process relatively brainless, so more shops would "take the risk" on a custom process that didn't require tons of fitter skill, luck, correct moon-phase, etc...

I’ll answer the second, the shop owner I was fit by was honest and basically said, you’re my first. And if I fuck up, don’t worry you’ll get a pair of liners that are correct eventually.
    After being part of the process it’s a 1 banana job, put liner in special mimic sleeve, heat liner, put in foot beds, put in shell, add shoe horn, step in, adjust tongue, buckle, step on special platform and pull down, inject with foam (no exit ports like surefit so you just add until you can’t due to resistance), hang out for 10-15 minutes, walk around the shop to eliminate any air bubbles; and your done.
    Ya, I totally get that Atomic has developed this liner so that almost anybody in a shop can foam them. There is still an element of some skill required. I'll start calling some Atomic shops to see who is on board.
    I'm a foam fanboy, I have not skied in an Alpine boot without a custom foam liner since 1999. So I've been through a lot of different foaming procedures.

Which shop did you patronize for the fitting?

Also-

@onenerdykid - the atomic website lists shops that carry atomic products, but I fear that doesn’t necessarily also mean that they have been trained in the process of doing the boot fitting. Can you provide any shops in the SLC valley that have been trained in the new process?

Are they more touring or inbounds oriented?

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Are they more touring or inbounds oriented?
    Full alpine, that said, with the top buckles undone and my walk mech open I can still move my Cochise through its very minimal range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    Also-
    @onenerdykid - the atomic website lists shops that carry atomic products, but I fear that doesn’t necessarily also mean that they have been trained in the process of doing the boot fitting. Can you provide any shops in the SLC valley that have been trained in the new process?
    On the Atomic page you can choose the category of the retailer:
    Pro Center
    Alpine
    Ski Touring
    Protection
    Race
    Rent/Rental
    Memory Fit
    Expert Boot Fitter

Pro Center
    Alpine
    Ski Touring
    Protection
    Race
    Rent/Rental
    Memory Fit
    Expert Boot Fitter
    ^this helped - many thanks. I didn’t think to do a dealer locator. Instead I just looked at the product and shops autopopulated at the bottom of the screen, without listing them as certain types of dealers. Again, the dealer locator function is way more helpful in that regard.

Sounds like this liner is built to work with a lot of other shells? If pricing is often found lower than MSRP -- makes it a very enticing alternative to ZipFit if it last near as long.

^^ I’m curious as to the longevity as well. The foam inside is a different PU mix which is a bit softer. Feels more comfortable.

Pro Center
    Alpine
    Ski Touring
    Protection
    Race
    Rent/Rental
    Memory Fit
    Expert Boot Fitter
    Finding a specific retailer that has a specific product is actually harder for us to do than it sounds. This is a pretty good filter we have and while it will help narrow your search down, you should call from there and see what the retailer specifically stocks.

We only sold the Professional Series of boots & liners to real boot-fitters who take pride in their work. With that said, we spent the better part of two years making this the best fitting foam liner but the easiest foam liner to make. Because of that there are specific tools that need to be used and a specific fitting process, but as the OP already saw - it is stupid easy to make these liners. I tell shops if you have the time & skill set to heat mold an Intuition liner, you can make a Mimic Professional liner.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Sounds like this liner is built to work with a lot of other shells? If pricing is often found lower than MSRP -- makes it a very enticing alternative to ZipFit if it last near as long.
    ^^ I’m curious as to the longevity as well. The foam inside is a different PU mix which is a bit softer. Feels more comfortable.

We currently make 3 differently lasted/constructed liners: one for Redster STI/TI (will fit other world cup boots), one for Redster CS (will fit other commercial race boots), and one for Hawx Ultra/Prime (will fit other commercial 98-100mm lasted boots). Those options will therefore cover a pretty wide variety of boots on the market. I know of one shop owner who put the Hawx version into his Nordica Speedmachine and he says he'll never go back to his previous aftermarket liner.

We spent a lot of time dialing in the PU foam over the last couple of years (and it's the same formula for all liner versions). It has a really nice balance of initial comfort, foot hold and long-term durability. It's hard to say if a liner will last 300 or 400 days of skiing because we haven't had that available time, to be honest. But, lab compression tests put this right up there with basically every other PU foam on the market, which usually means multiple shell lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    We currently make 3 differently lasted/constructed liners: one for Redster STI/TI (will fit other world cup boots), one for Redster CS (will fit other commercial race boots), and one for Hawx Ultra/Prime (will fit other commercial 98-100mm lasted boots). Those options will therefore cover a pretty wide variety of boots on the market. I know of one shop owner who put the Hawx version into his Nordica Speedmachine and he says he'll never go back to his previous aftermarket liner.

We spent a lot of time dialing in the PU foam over the last couple of years (and it's the same formula for all liner versions). It has a really nice balance of initial comfort, foot hold and long-term durability. It's hard to say if a liner will last 300 or 400 days of skiing because we haven't had that available time, to be honest. But, lab compression tests put this right up there with basically every other PU foam on the market, which usually means multiple shell lifetime.
    Good info as always, Matt. Excited to try mine.

Great info. As someone who has a stock of a shell that they love (current RX130 LV) -- this looks like a very good option for keeping them kicking for a long time at a reasonable price. Thanks for bringing this to market!