Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Niksile View Post
    Really great work with the professional boots! I just got foamed mine hand the experience with them while skiing was amazing! I like really much how the boots are holding the knee so I can keep the boots comfortable tightness without making the boot too stiff for me with the two upper buckles.

How ever I had some issues in two areas and both feels like I would need just a little bit more space there. First one is tailor's bunion and it's actually the same with problem that I have had with my older Hawk Ultra boots and it have been solved perfectly just with a normal memory fit process. For that are I used pads while foaming and after foaming was ready shell was also modified manually but it seems that these were not enough. The second issue is with malleolus that I didn’t expect at all and thats why I didn’t use pads there while foaming.

So I have two questions:

1. How should I try to refit the boots? Just the normal memoryfit process or something else? Can that do something bad for already foamed liner? Should both the shell and liner be warmed up?

2. How situations were some shell fitting is needed should normally be done? If memory fit process have been earlier enough is it possible to do that first with the liner without the foam?
    My personal thought on Memory Fit is that it is great when:
    - you need a lot of work done to the shell when normal stretching & grinding is too time consuming and/or the required area of expansion is simply too big
    - you don't have time/ability to revisit your boot-fitter for multiple refits
    - you favor comfort over performance

Traditional stretching & grinding is great when:
    -you just need a couple of stretches
    -you have the time/ability to revisit your boot-fitter for multiple refits
    -you favor performance over comfort (you don't want any wasted movement in your fit)

My personal opinion is to just treat the specific areas that need addressing, so just have your boot-fitter stretch the 1st met and ankle(s) that are bothering you. But if you choose to do Memory Fit, you don't need to reheat the liner, just heat the shell.

Atomic Mimic Professional Liner

Just took my first few laps in mimics. My foot is so locked in the difference in feedback from the snow / ski is amazing, I feel like a different skier. Nice work ONK.

Also, the foaming process is a pretty amazing feeling - that goo working it’s way around your ankle / Achilles was very …soothing? I’d pay money to feel that regularly…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Just took my first few laps in mimics. My foot is so locked in the difference in feedback from the snow / ski is amazing, I feel like a different skier. Nice work ONK.

Also, the foaming process is a pretty amazing feeling - that goo working it’s way around your ankle / Achilles was very …soothing? I’d pay money to feel that regularly…

Awesome stuff- that's exactly what we're going for. The foaming portion of the fitting process is something else, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Awesome stuff- that's exactly what we're going for. The foaming portion of the fitting process is something else, isn't it?
    know of anyone in the Tahoe area stocking the mimic liners? i've been calling around with no luck so far.

I think Christian at Elite feet has…

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Atomic Professional Series Mimic Liners in Salomon X-pro 120
    A question for OneNerdyKid: What would be the process and sequence for molding & foaming these liners for use with in my Salomon X-Pro 120's? Should the shell also be heated and what is the heat, foam, buckle sequence of the process? Thanks!

I’d love to grab a couple pair of these for my racer girls next year….

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Updates from Luke Koppa on the Mimic Professional liner & Professional Dual Strap vs. Booster: https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...0-professional

Mental masturbation on liners this evening… got my Mimic Pros foamed and skied them today.

In short: they are good (way better than any stock liner I’ve tried). But I hesitate to call them “best liner ever” for my foot and my skiing.

27.5 Mimic Pro liners in my heavily punched 26.5 Hawx Ultra 120 S shells.

Foaming process was easy. 5 minutes per side. Cool to feel it flowing around your ankle and back half of the foot during the process. My liners came with the HV Tongue (which is the thinnest), and I didn’t have the option of switching it out at the shop the day I got foamed. Maybe more tongue options there later this season, and I think I would benefit from a thicker one.

Skied them today. Heel and ankle hold is very good. On par with a stock Zipfit or most Intuition HV liners. The plastic reinforced tongue maybe adds a little forward flex stiffness compared to my Intuitions or Zipfits.

Material around the toe box and met heads is pretty thin. Similar to Zipfit but less stretchy than their Neoprene. Definitely less material than HV Intuitions (which means more wiggle room but also less warmth compared to the Intuitions).

My Zipfit WC 27.5 have a ton of extra Omfit added. Like 5+ cork additions to each liner. And they probably offer a tighter overall fit than the Mimic Pro. But functionally on the ski hill, they feel pretty similar. Just have to buckle down a bit more with Mimic Pro, where my super fat Zipfit is basically bursting at the seams unbuckled.

Too early to tell, but I’m going to guess that for my foot and my Haglunds, I will probably try an HV Intuition again. In both the Mimic Pro and the Zipfit, there is just less material and a harder/firmer overall feel around the heel. And many people may prefer that. But the additional material and softer foam of the Intuition HV means more comfort (and secondarily more warmth) for me personally.

I reserve the right to change my mind of course

I’ll ski the liners back to back or one shell with one and one shell with another this season just to be sure.

Ok, end rant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	809DD11D-5DBD-4E5A-B1CE-2218DD3CD9D2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	642.4 KB 
ID:	406104
    Last edited by DGamms; 02-16-2022 at 12:37 AM.

Sounds like it's off to a good start for you. Helpful tip - when looking at the V3 Tongues, associate the name of the tongue with the resulting fit you are looking for. High Volume Tongue = High Volume fit, just like with boot shells. If you need more space, go High Volume. If you need less space go Medium Volume or Low Volume, depending on what tongue you already have.
    Thanks for all the info Matt. Got a few questions on the tounges for my situation:

I broke my first metatarsal on my right foot when I was 10, and as a result my right foot has a shorter instep, lower arch, and is just shy of 3/4 of a standard American shoe size shorter than my left foot. In my current boot (old dalbello lupo sp) I've sized down for my smaller foot, toe punched the left boot, got custom foot beds, and added a bunch of foam over the instep of my right foot to fill the instep void which I have tinkered into a pretty darn functional layout. However, the presence of the foam increases the stiffness of my right boot, so the buckles and strap tightnesses are a little funky to get right when I'm actually on the hill. It performs pretty well, but frequent cold & numb toes are telling me my fit is still basically dog shit.

My questions are: would I be able to get different volume tounges for each foot, if that would address the instep difference issue, and if different tongue volume would create an unmanageable difference in boot flex?

Obviously, a lot can be done with a bootfitter, but it seems like the combo of the tongue volumes and foam injection are a real opportunity to solve my problems if I decide to spring for a pair of atomic pros in the future. Just want to get some confirmation before I make the $1k investment

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Mental masturbation on liners this evening… got my Mimic Pros foamed and skied them today.

In short: they are good (way better than any stock liner I’ve tried). But I hesitate to call them “best liner ever” for my foot and my skiing.

27.5 Mimic Pro liners in my heavily punched 26.5 Hawx Ultra 120 S shells.

Foaming process was easy. 5 minutes per side. Cool to feel it flowing around your ankle and back half of the foot during the process. My liners came with the HV Tongue (which is the thinnest), and I didn’t have the option of switching it out at the shop the day I got foamed. Maybe more tongue options there later this season, and I think I would benefit from a thicker one.

Skied them today. Heel and ankle hold is very good. On par with a stock Zipfit or most Intuition HV liners. The plastic reinforced tongue maybe adds a little forward flex stiffness compared to my Intuitions or Zipfits.

Material around the toe box and met heads is pretty thin. Similar to Zipfit but less stretchy than their Neoprene. Definitely less material than HV Intuitions (which means more wiggle room but also less warmth compared to the Intuitions).

My Zipfit WC 27.5 have a ton of extra Omfit added. Like 5+ cork additions to each liner. And they probably offer a tighter overall fit than the Mimic Pro. But functionally on the ski hill, they feel pretty similar. Just have to buckle down a bit more with Mimic Pro, where my super fat Zipfit is basically bursting at the seams unbuckled.

Too early to tell, but I’m going to guess that for my foot and my Haglunds, I will probably try an HV Intuition again. In both the Mimic Pro and the Zipfit, there is just less material and a harder/firmer overall feel around the heel. And many people may prefer that. But the additional material and softer foam of the Intuition HV means more comfort (and secondarily more warmth) for me personally.

I reserve the right to change my mind of course

I’ll ski the liners back to back or one shell with one and one shell with another this season just to be sure.

Ok, end rant.
    With any aftermarket liner, previous stretching/shell work can affect how a new liner behaves in the shell. For example, if you've modified the shell to fit the super thick ZipFit into it, then that will affect how a new liner interfaces/meshes with the foot & shell combo. There is also a Low Volume fit option for the tongue which will create a snugger fit for sure. That's what Luke did in his Blister review.

Quote Originally Posted by beeshbeesh View Post
    Thanks for all the info Matt. Got a few questions on the tounges for my situation:

I broke my first metatarsal on my right foot when I was 10, and as a result my right foot has a shorter instep, lower arch, and is just shy of 3/4 of a standard American shoe size shorter than my left foot. In my current boot (old dalbello lupo sp) I've sized down for my smaller foot, toe punched the left boot, got custom foot beds, and added a bunch of foam over the instep of my right foot to fill the instep void which I have tinkered into a pretty darn functional layout. However, the presence of the foam increases the stiffness of my right boot, so the buckles and strap tightnesses are a little funky to get right when I'm actually on the hill. It performs pretty well, but frequent cold & numb toes are telling me my fit is still basically dog shit.

My questions are: would I be able to get different volume tounges for each foot, if that would address the instep difference issue, and if different tongue volume would create an unmanageable difference in boot flex?

Obviously, a lot can be done with a bootfitter, but it seems like the combo of the tongue volumes and foam injection are a real opportunity to solve my problems if I decide to spring for a pair of atomic pros in the future. Just want to get some confirmation before I make the $1k investment

Thanks!
    The 3 different thicknesses of tongues we have create 3 noticeably different fits. One of the things a custom boot will achieve (or allow to be achieved) is addressing differences between left and right feet, which is honestly super common. So if you need to go with a MV fit tongue on one foot and a LV fit on the other, then that's a perfect example of addressing the needs of each foot, and our system allows for that.

How much do these change the flex? If put into a sti 110 will it still be a 110?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    How much do these change the flex? If put into a sti 110 will it still be a 110?

You'll notice the boot becoming slightly stiffer, but not enough to turn the right flex into the wrong flex. I would say the boot becomes more direct, responsive, and powerful more so than it becomes stiffer.

I received my Atomic professional boots today and I have to say I am impressed. I fondle a lot of boots and this liner is impressive in its quality. The boot feels stiffer than my Ultra 130 with the mimic liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I received my Atomic professional boots today and I have to say I am impressed. I fondle a lot of boots and this liner is impressive in its quality. The boot feels stiffer than my Ultra 130 with the mimic liner.
    Is your new Professional boot an Ultra Professional? Is your previous Ultra from the 1st generation or current version?

Stoked you like the liner quality - it was definitely a focus of ours to leave nothing out and go the extra mile on this one.

Is your new Professional boot an Ultra Professional? Is your previous Ultra from the 1st generation or current version?

Stoked you like the liner quality - it was definitely a focus of ours to leave nothing out and go the extra mile on this one.
    Yes it is the Ultra Professional, coming from a current gen Ultra. I already really liked the Mimic but this is a step up for sure.

Hey ONK, what's the best way to get the different volume tongues? Is there any way I can order them directly or do I need to track down a shop to order them for me? I think I need this one (looking to take up more volume in a 25.5)
    https://www.atomic.com/en/shop-emea/...ml#color=34161

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Hey ONK, what's the best way to get the different volume tongues? Is there any way I can order them directly or do I need to track down a shop to order them for me? I think I need this one (looking to take up more volume in a 25.5)
    https://www.atomic.com/en/shop-emea/...ml#color=34161
    Wait, isn't the thickest tongue (for narrow ankles) called "Low Volume" and white? MV is black?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Wait, isn't the thickest tongue (for narrow ankles) called "Low Volume" and white? MV is black?
    If you want a High Volume fit, go with the High Volume Tongue (thinnest tongue, or more room)
    If you want a Low Volume fit, go with the Low Volume Tongue (thickest tongue, or less room)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    If you want a High Volume fit, go with the High Volume Tongue (thinnest tongue, or more room)
    If you want a Low Volume fit, go with the Low Volume Tongue (thickest tongue, or less room)
    Good looking out fellas, I get the fit stuff backwards a lot. Yeah, I want the low volume then.

Anyone know how to get them in Massachusetts (or SLC)? I know I had a hell of a time finding a shop to get the liners in SLC…

I think the Sports Den in SLC may have had them last year

I called Wachusett and they ordered them from Atomic very quickly for me - super helpful guy. So if you need boot fit parts in central Massachusetts give Wawa a ring.

Same Mimic Professional for Redster CS 130 and Hawx Ultra XTD 130

ONG,

Top work on the development and educating us all. Thank you.

If I were to purchase a Redster CS 130 with Profesional liner could I also use that same liner in a Hawx XTD 130? (I know this is unusual - but I have a specific regular family day/ tour home application for this).

I know clogs and shell fit between the 2 are quite different (96 vs 98 and heal pocket) - but actually having a slightly looser fit in the XTD is okay for less performance/ more comfort and touring.

Specific question: is the Profesional Liner for the Redster CS different to that for the Hawx in terms of last and volume of the actual liner (beyond the tongue)?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    If I were to purchase a Redster CS 130 with Profesional liner could I also use that same liner in a Hawx XTD 130? (I know this is unusual - but I have a specific regular family day/ tour home application for this).I know clogs and shell fit between the 2 are quite different (96 vs 98 and heal pocket) - but actually having a slightly looser fit in the XTD is okay for less performance/ more comfort and touring.

Specific question: is the Profesional Liner for the Redster CS different to that for the Hawx in terms of last and volume of the actual liner (beyond the tongue)?
    I'm trying that exact thing at the moment. I need a "demo days" boot with GripWalk and tech fittings so I can use any demo binding at tests. I settled on a Hawx Ultra 120 XTD, swapped out a few parts and have been wearing them around the house for the past week or so. I went with the 120 Ultra XTD because it seems to flex a bit smoother and getting in the shell is a bit easier than the 130, but the forward stiffness was a lilttle underwhelming.

Adding the Professional liner from the Redster CS Pro gets the stiffness up to around 130 and increases heel retention - haven't skied them yet, but it's a promising marriage. Touring will probably suck, but I don't plan on doing any in this boot anyway.

The forefoot volume of the 96mm Redster CS and the Hawx Ultra XTD isn't all that different - the really noticeable difference is in the midfoot, navicular and styloid areas. The Redster Professional liners seem to work fine in the Ultra XTD.

PS I had punched the crap out of the Redster CS before I heated and injected the liners, same with the XTD, so they were essentially the same shape . . .