Look Pivot Dildo Rod Disassembly...How You Do?

Im sure there is a thread out there on this already but I've been searching for a while and can't find it...

alrighty. so I have this pair of project pivots that I've been wanting to paint and dye parts of and before I could even start I ran into the problem that a lot of old pivots seem to have. the rods that connect the dildo to the brake assembly are siezed and I can't spin em. tried penetration fluids (PV blaster, CRC) and a blow torch as well as vice grips/channel locks to try and spin the bastard (you can see in the picture how much I biffed it up trying ).

no go. shit is fucked.

SO! here I am asking if anyone has any experience taking off the mounting rod pieces off the dildo? My vocabulary is very not correct but bare with me...the pictures below will help.

it looks like there is a rivet holding the mounting rod piece into where it sits on the dildo. Do I need to break that and re rivet it with a new one? I'm putting a new set of breaks on anyway and they have the lil black mounting rod pieces so I was hoping I could swap it out. It was also pretty stripped out when I got em (which shoulda been a sign that they were fugged) so I would be stoked to replace it.

let me know if anyone has any experience or beta on this and how I can get it off! cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3799.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	825.3 KB 
ID:	388179  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Think your better off replacing : https://www.sunandski.com/p/34410059...ki-bindings-21

I've fiddled with those and would not trust it to go all back together again.

I have had this same problem with pivots and never was able to get it fixed. Maybe gwat has some ideas, he's the resident pivot scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true

This guy did it. Looks like a pain in the ass though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was literally just wondering this same thing. Looks like a lot of work per that instructables link.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true

This guy did it. Looks like a pain in the ass though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Actually just happened on this same thing by sheer coincidence today. Yeah, they are rivets, that are part of support bar and you'll therefore have to replace that entire piece. Yes that looks like torture to figure out. Yes I am no longer a broke college student that needs to do things like hand-bend a brand new support bar from raw steel. Would be a 'fun' learning experience though.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Classic case of just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I think that guy did a pretty sweet job, and the bar only serves to get you into the binding. But any time you get in to the elastic travel on that heel (read: any time anything happens at all while you're in the binding), it's putting strain on those nylock nuts he replaced the riveted ends with. It's still a pretty solid connection, and probably not the first place you'll break a pivot heel because there's plenty of opportunity, but it just adds another potential issue to an imperfect system. I'd ski it but I would constantly worry about it.

Don't do it.

Contact Look customer service in Ogden, send the bindings back for a rebuild. Will cost you the price of shipping, maybe a bit more. I've had a couple of pairs of out-of-warranty dildos fixed.

ETA... you should still be able to adjust that side with a big flathead driver. Just take it slow.

cheers to all y'all for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Don't do it.

Contact Look customer service in Ogden, send the bindings back for a rebuild. Will cost you the price of shipping, maybe a bit more. I've had a couple of pairs of out-of-warranty dildos fixed.

ETA... you should still be able to adjust that side with a big flathead driver. Just take it slow.
    Sounds like the move, if that works id be hyped. Thanks for the beta

What ur supposed to do is snap that bitch down on your finger. #fknsndr

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Sort of related but unrelated - I need to swap a pair of dildos and brake assemblies and wondering if anyone has good ways to snap the heel closed when the binding isn't mounted so I can access the worm screws. I've had these literally snap the base plate and fly 3 feet across the table when doing it in the past and there's the ever dreaded finger crush possibility. I also have a busted shoulder so don't have much strength in one arm to slowly manhandle them open. If there's no good way other than just doing it slowly and carefully with a lot of force to hold them from snapping open I'll just wait until I'm healthier, but what better time to be mounting skis than while you're injured
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

With a bum shoulder it might be tough.

You could try clamping the ski to a bench and then using your good hand to lift the heel.

Other idea is to use a boot to engage the heel then kick it out like a horizontal release.

^ Screw your heel to a 2x4/work bench, flip the heel open, and swap your dildos. Unscrew from 2x4. Just use regular old wood screws.
    1 beer job for 4 heels swaps.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 10-14-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    ^ Screw your heel to a 2x4/work bench, flip the heel open, and swap your dildos. Unscrew from 2x4. Just use regular old wood screws.
    This is the way.

I took mine apart and I don't know what was the bigger pain, taking them apart and putting them back together or snapping the heal piece on my finger resulting is a lost finger nail...

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I took mine apart and I don't know what was the bigger pain, taking them apart and putting them back together or snapping the heal piece on my finger resulting is a lost finger nail...
    In our ski shop we mounted all of our display bindings on a nice wooden 1"x4" with a hole for them to hang on the wall. People could touch them, fondle them, click them open and closed.
    After the second incident of an "adult" snapping his finger in Pivot bindings, I printed some "danger pinch hazard" stickers.
    After the sticker we only had 3-4 more incidents.
    I'd be grinding a boot, and a coworker would be mounting skis in the back bench room, and we would hear a blood curdling scream of a 12 years old.... we'd look at each other and say "The Pivot rat trap has caught another kid".
    It's fun prying open the Pivot that is crushing a kids finger, while the parent watches.

"Teachable moment"

Sounds perfect, thanks. l only have a 2 x 10 lying around but I can find something. I guess I could also just mount them each on the ski they need to be on and then swap the dildos after

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Sounds perfect, thanks. l only have a 2 x 10 lying around but I can find something. I guess I could also just mount them each on the ski they need to be on and then swap the dildos after
    ^ Once I mount Pivot heels to a ski, I try not to remove them.
    If I want to switch heels/dildo I leave the baseplate and brakes on the skis and swap dildos between skis.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    What ur supposed to do is snap that bitch down on your finger. #fknsndr
    I don't think it's so bad.

https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...-Pivots?page=2

^ Once I mount Pivot heels to a ski, I try not to remove them.
    If I want to switch heels/dildo I leave the baseplate and brakes on the skis and swap dildos between skis.
    Ya that's what I was getting at - mounting the "wrong" dildo with the "right" baseplate to each ski, then swapping the dildos. I don't like to remove the screws and degrade the holes either