Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me plan a quick January get away

Mrs. and I want to road trip the week after New Year's. We are thinking Jan. 2-6 or Jan. 9-13. We want to ski resorts that accept either IKON or EPIC. Right now, our short list includes JHMR, Aspen, Telluride and Grand Targhee. If we choose JHMR, we will probably stay in Jackson. If we choose Aspen, we probably will either stay either in Basalt or Snowmass. Targhee =Teewinot and Telluride=The Camel. My thoughts are that GT will have the best snow, but less to do after 5:00pm than at Alta and no IKON or EPIC. JHMR should have good snow and the town of Jackson is always fun. Aspen will have questionable snow, but the dinners will be exceptional and there is always the tampi factor. Same with Telluride, but the snow may even be worse than Aspen. If I didn't want to really take advantage of IKON/EPIC we would just drive 45 mins and stay at Alta for 3-4nights, as it obviously is the choice for early January shredding. It's just that I want to spread those 7 days out, and the only better time to ski Alta than Jan. is March. Optimal trip is 4 days skiing pow on uncrowded hill with great food and comfy, but not overly expensive, bed.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-06-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If i were to do Aspen I would go for the later weekend. Busy AF here 1/2-1/6. Snow will be questionable as you know with colorado resorts in early jan.

Keep and eye on the snowpack and make your decisions from there. If I were you id ski GT/Jackson, better chance of good snow.

Stick with your original plan of AltaBird > JHMR > Big Sky. All are IKON, and all are a few hours drive from each other. That's a pretty epic road trip that allows for flexibility for snow and storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Stick with your original plan of AltaBird > JHMR > Big Sky. All are IKON, and all are a few hours drive from each other. That's a pretty epic road trip that allows for flexibility for snow and storms.
    This is a good plan It is 3 hours between Big Sky and Jackson and another 5 to SLC, on which you can drive right by Grand Targhee. Once at Alta/Bird you can also use Ikon for days at Deer Valley, Solitude and Brighton if you want or if LCC is closed because of avalanches.

The Telluride, Aspen skiing is best reserved for a southern loop trip.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    This is a good plan It is 3 hours between Big Sky and Jackson
    Unless the weather is really good... then who knows how long it might take.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Unless the weather is really good... then who knows how long it might take.
    Heh, yah... many a times I've broken trail over Teton pass or across the potato fields between Ashton and Tetonia. But even then, it was rarely much more than an hour of additional hour travel time, at worst. Even if ID-32 is closed due to drifting snow, the reroute through St. Anthony doesn't add much time.

I've had far sportier adventures in Snake River Canyon on US-191 as I drove from SLC to Jackson.

Heh, yah... many a times I've broken trail over Teton pass or across the potato fields between Ashton and Tetonia. But even then, it was rarely much more than an hour of additional hour travel time, at worst. Even if ID-32 is closed due to drifting snow, the reroute through St. Anthony doesn't add much time.

I've had far sportier adventures in Snake River Canyon on US-191 as I drove from SLC to Jackson.
    We must have just gotten lucky... 32 *and* 33 were closed - we ended up going through Swan Valley and Alpine. Took us more like 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We must have just gotten lucky... 32 *and* 33 were closed - we ended up going through Swan Valley and Alpine. Took us more like 6 hours.
    Yuck! I've never had that happen, though it does happen.

A few years ago, my brother and I drove from PDX, and both Teton Pass and ID-31 were closed, forcing us out of town south to go north. It turned a 12-hour drive into a 16+ hour drive.

Yuck! I've never had that happen, though it does happen.

A few years ago, my brother and I drove from PDX, and both Teton Pass and ID-31 were closed, forcing us out of town south to go north. It turned a 12-hour drive into a 16+ hour drive.
    Yeah - we briefly considered heading over to Teton Pass from Swan Valley, but there were a *lot* of cars going that way and I was in no way confident that Teton Pass wouldn't shut down before we could get over it...

Although most of my nightmare drives have been in Hoback Canyon...

There is an old thread on here somewhere that has 5 different routes between Jackson and SLC, but obviously winter weather will always be a factor.
    Gravity Junkie

Why not wait and decide when the time gets closer? It seems you have the flexibility, just wait to see which resort starts off best and go there. Especially since you're driving and already have lift tickets, as long as you're somewhat flexible on where you stay, I don't think securing last minute (week out) lodging will be overly difficult

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking. You could even take it a step further and make reservations that allow cancellation

That's what I will do. Today I'm inclined to just take a room at either The Rustler or GMD for 4 nights the second week in Jan. and enjoy Alta like a tourist. Rustler is expensive though. How good could the food be. GMD can be fun.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Optimal trip is 4 days skiing pow on uncrowded hill with great food and comfy, but not overly expensive, bed.
    GT probably fits this bill the best. Good food but not certain about 'great' in and around the Drictor metroplex.
    Relatively easy driving, even in a storm, From PC to GT.

In summer, all 5 ways to JH take 5 hours, for me. Winter rarely adds much. Mebbe an hour if weathery.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Why not wait and decide when the time gets closer? It seems you have the flexibility, just wait to see which resort starts off best and go there. Especially since you're driving and already have lift tickets, as long as you're somewhat flexible on where you stay, I don't think securing last minute (week out) lodging will be overly difficult

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    How can there be any other answer?

pretty sure groundhog to valentine day is THE best window for all mentioned resorts

Tampi factor??

legalize it

Go to Mammoth

On average, the best coverage early Jan is the PNW.
    So: Bachelor.

Another alternative, known for excellent snowmaking and grooming is Sun Valley, where sn00ty resources abound and Epic is valid (I think). One of the grand dames of American skiing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I would love to go to Bachelor, but it is not on the short drive list. Right now, I'm thinking Alta, Targhee or Jackson. As someone who drives up that canyon often, 4 days and nights at Alta/GMD might be nice, especially the snow Gods come thru

Short drive wasn't specified.

Road trip to me means up to 1000 miles.

Up to seven hours on this trip. My ideal early season road trip would bring me up thru Alpental and Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Up to seven hours on this trip. My ideal early season road trip would bring me up thru Alpental and Baker.
    Sun Valley then?

Alpy really needs a lot of snow to open the upper mountain, be sure to check that. We'd love to show you around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    .... Once at Alta/Bird you can also use Ikon for days at Deer Valley, Solitude and Brighton if you want.....
    Did this the first year on Ikon. Was not impressed with Deer Valley, but to be fair, weather kept most of the decent terrain from opening. What was most impressive was the $13 can of Modelo after pass discount. Seems like a place where money from otherwise undeserving and not-quite-smart people who don't know how to spend it goes to die.