Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    On average, the best coverage early Jan is the PNW.
    So: Bachelor.

Another alternative, known for excellent snowmaking and grooming is Sun Valley, where sn00ty resources abound and Epic is valid (I think). One of the grand dames of American skiing.
    FWIW Mt Bachelor regularly gets droughts in January. It’s a great time to practice edging on boilerplate.

True, January is generally a bad month to ski the PNW, but usually there's a base.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Unless the weather is really good... then who knows how long it might take.
    No doubt. It's best to respect that drive in the winter, particularly around Island Park where it is flat but often full of black ice. We flipped a rig there years ago and nearly averted disaster. Ahh memories.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I would love to go to Bachelor, but it is not on the short drive list. Right now, I'm thinking Alta, Targhee or Jackson. As someone who drives up that canyon often, 4 days and nights at Alta/GMD might be nice, especially the snow Gods come thru
    Why would you pay big bucks, to stay in a lodge, 10 miles from your home?

Just wait and see who has the best conditions.

Why? Because, there is a lot to say for staying at the base of the mountain, (especially Alta) and not having to wait in line to enter and drive up the canyon on a pow day. I could only hope for one of those days when I can wake up at 7:30 and grab first 10 Collins chair after it dumped 25" overnight. Plus, I think that 4 nights at the base of Collins is a magical respite for anyone, regardless of where they live.When I lived in suburban NJ, I more than occasionally slept in Manhattan on those nights when I didn't want to drive home.
    That is what I will do. Most is based upon snow. However, most lodging at Alta, Teton Village and even the Teewinot have at best a 14 day cancellation policy. Aspen is easy. I could stay at The Element in Basalt and cancel 48hrs prior.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Pro move - make reservations at multiple locations
    and choose who has the best conditions and forecast.

Just make sure you keep up with cancelation dates.