Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RockShox Flight Attendant

So this is coming out… I kind of like the theory of it but also hate the idea of having batteries on all the various components, but progress I guess

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rocks...ght-attendant/

Yawn. Like Fox electronic stuff...very few people want this overpriced crap for a fucking bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yawn. Like Fox electronic stuff...very few people want this overpriced crap for a fucking bicycle
    This is kind of what people said when Corvette released their electronic shocks that auto adjust stiffness as you drive.

I certainly won't be buying it anytime soon, but cool they are working on it and releasing to the market. You never know what this will lead to down the road.

Speaking of new tech, etc....it is kind of crazy to me we still have rear derailleurs.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Seems like a better option than the Fox live valve. Fox defaults to closed, but opens the damping when it senses a bump. Rockshox defaults to open, but closes the damping when it senses pedaling / a lack of bumps. At least for my purposes, Rockshox sounds better.

But ultimately, agreed - the correct number of batteries on my bike is zero. And even with the suspension locked out, my Enduro is still a heavy bike with heavy, slow rolling tires, and thus is slow on the climbs. Electronics will never change that fact.

Also, the whole setup adds 300 grams. I can just see someone fretting over the uphill implications of locked suspension vs. 3/4 of a pound of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    hate the idea of having batteries on all the various components
    Don't worry, soon enough it will be integrated into your ebike's battery, along with the motors for your power-assist brakes/steering and electronic shifting, all available at the low low price of $20,000.

I could never get the ShockWiz to give me reliable results. I can't imagine this will be any better.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like a better option than the Fox live valve. Fox defaults to closed, but opens the damping when it senses a bump. Rockshox defaults to open, but closes the damping when it senses pedaling / a lack of bumps. At least for my purposes, Rockshox sounds better.

But ultimately, agreed - the correct number of batteries on my bike is zero. And even with the suspension locked out, my Enduro is still a heavy bike with heavy, slow rolling tires, and thus is slow on the climbs. Electronics will never change that fact.

Also, the whole setup adds 300 grams. I can just see someone fretting over the uphill implications of locked suspension vs. 3/4 of a pound of weight.
    I don't know, a climb switch and coil shock works for me on most rides I do.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    This is kind of what people said when Corvette released their electronic shocks that auto adjust stiffness as you drive.

I certainly won't be buying it anytime soon, but cool they are working on it and releasing to the market. You never know what this will lead to down the road.

Speaking of new tech, etc....it is kind of crazy to me we still have rear derailleurs.
    the reality is that nothing is more efficent than a DER which still works pretty well if you don't hit a rock, efficency is very important for a human powered M/C but now you got the E-bike which will drive new tech cuz of the power available to negate the drag of internal gear boxes, i could see Shimano coming up with something that has the gears and all in the BB/ motor assembly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I love not touching knobs on either the bike or the moto. Set it and forget it. Polls on pinkbike show the vast majority ride this way. A tiny portion of riders constantly tinker.

^^^ this in spades

I'm on the same page. I don't want any batteries or electronic shit on my bike. There seems to be an influx of over priced, overengineered gear being marketed towards riders that is unnecessary.

Engineers and marketing folks have to justify their careers in an adult sized toy business.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I don't know, a climb switch and coil shock works for me on most rides I do.
    The climb switch on the coil on my Enduro works great. Until I get back on the Spur and remember that 50mm less travel and 8 lbs less weight still climbs waaaaaaaaaaay better.

I don't think these systems take much power so its not like having tocharge an E-bike for every ride

I would be for a " set it and forget it " system cuz I would always forget to change suspension settings and be half way down the run before realizing its still in lockout mode, but with the Yeti switch infinity left in open mode it climbed really well

having said that I don't have any problem working the boost button

300g = .6613 lbs So actually 2/3rds of a pound. You over exaggerated by 41.6g.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Spoken like a true MTBR/TGR nerd

Yeah, but is that with a full or empty battery?

Spoken like a true MTBR/TGR nerd
    Or someone who uses a scientific (aka metric) measurement. Kinda like the rest of the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA116B9A-859F-4A2C-9199-21F2D13133A5.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	542.9 KB 
ID:	388070

^^^ add the UK to that map, they want to go back to imperial now that they've brexited.

I'd be curious to jump on an electronic suspension platform and see how much difference it makes in my day to day riding. Would I even notice? I tinker a fair bit but it's mostly with low speed compression to control how deep the bike sits in its travel. I rarely flip the switch on my shock, even on long dirt road grinds I find that the loss of traction negates the benefit of the stiffer pedaling platform.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Or someone who uses a scientific (aka metric) measurement. Kinda like the rest of the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA116B9A-859F-4A2C-9199-21F2D13133A5.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	542.9 KB 
ID:	388070
    Well, the rest of the world, except for the countries that say they use metric but actually use a hodge podge of whatever unit happens to be lying around. Canada and UK, I'm looking at you.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    So this is coming out… I kind of like the theory of it but also hate the idea of having batteries on all the various components, but progress I guess

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rocks...ght-attendant/
    This is unimpressive.

...But what it will turn into will be crazy useful to them depending on how they use the data
    Consider:

"Before": Shock leaves the factory. Neither mfg'er nor rider likely knows what the ideal settings are, and often never will

Now:
    1) They have all the makings of a shockwiz, and the ability to take that data and upload it to the cloud, and download it to whatever rig. Bike gets stolen? Demoing a new rig? Pair with your phone, download profile and *poof* new ride is dialed to your liking. (yes, different bikes will likely need slightly different settings but the core idea similar)

2) They now have pools of user data including details on weight, riding style, speed, terrain ridden which they can feed through a machine learning algorithm that, with increasing exposure, will be able to predict profiles for new riders. More rider data-->more accurate profile. Gain 10 lbs between seasons? The algorithm mines data from similar users to come up with the necessary to tweaks based on how you ride. And the holy grail: Gather data from all dentists, put it through a machine learning algorithm, and out comes the perfect $20k dentist bike.

Well, the rest of the world, except for the countries that say they use metric but actually use a hodge podge of whatever unit happens to be lying around. Canada and UK, I'm looking at you.
    Was on a work call today w/ guy in UK who asked few americans what we use; pound/stone or metric. Other american answered stone and thats what we got as the answer as the rest of us are rapidly using google to convert stone.... which is 14 pounds. Also was using it to describe someones weight so was like like 12 and a half stones to make it extra confusing.

Sorta interesting, but 300g added to already super heavy bikes seems pretty pointless in this first go. Hopefully trickles down to good stuff. As much as I lament the bike industry/marketing pushing this stuff, bikes now are sooo much better than they used to be. Eventually guessing much of the engineering will go to e-bike (which this is also probably most applicable to), but hopefully the rest of us get some benefits w/o eventually.

what kind of chioce do you have when you are sleeping next to the elephant ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what kind of chioce do you have when you are sleeping next to the elephant ?
    Maybe you guys need to take some notes from the Mexicans. They seem to do a pretty good job of avoiding freedom units.

how closely linked were they with American industry and weren't they the murder's thieves and rapists ?