Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656

    2022 Bike for Wife....suggestion needed

    Hey Mags. I recently started riding and purchased a Hightower. Then...a Giant STP 20 followed for my just turn 6 son. Mom envisions days off work riding local trails here in the RFV with me, or weekends with the kids, plus extending our camping season with trips to Moab and Fruita when the resort is closed in April, May and November.

    She is 5'6", 35 and 120lbs. When she started skiing again after taking 20 years off, she was pretty timid, but a couple seasons later and she is starting to enjoy going fast, hits some small jumps with the kids, and competes with our son on who can ski the most blacks for the first time.

    That info may seem irrelevant, but meant it more understanding that she probably isn't going to be bombing down Snowmass bike park and hitting jumps, but probably will be doing more then just XC on flat trails. As for uphill, I will most likely be trying to keep up to her before long.

    I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork and either a dropper post or the ability to easily add one. 1x up front and she will be on flat pedals. I would kind of prefer not junk as she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension. Max budget is $2500...happy to spend less though if it does make sense to pay that much for a hardtail.

    Thanks for any help!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,387
    Buy whatever you can find that fits her, right now is not the time to picky.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,378
    The obvious answer: Ibis Exie. Don't be a cheap skate with your wife!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,945
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork and either a dropper post or the ability to easily add one. 1x up front and she will be on flat pedals. I would kind of prefer not junk as she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension. Max budget is $2500...happy to spend less though if it does make sense to pay that much for a hardtail.
    If that's the criteria, Chain Reaction sells some UK brands that are great options and well under your budget. They're all out of stock right now, so set up stock notification alerts and jump on them the minute you get the email. Any of these will work and they check all your boxes:

    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod195592
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197469
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod196184

    They're also available in dropper-less lower trim levels
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod196186
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197467

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,657
    For $2500 you can get a nice Hard Tail with mid level components. But like waxman said, its slim pickings, so buy what ever you can't your hands on.
    Almost every brand will have a sub $2500, 29er, 130mm (ish), trail bike, aluminum, hardtail, 1x, dropper.
    Rocky Mountain Growler $2200 with SLX/XT 12 speed.
    SantaCruz Chameleon $2400 with SX/NX 12 Speed
    Trek Roscoe $2300 SX/GX 12 Speed.
    Norco Torrent $2300 with Deore 12 speed
    Cannondale Trail SE $2200 SX/NX 12 Speed
    Niner Air 9 $2100 XT?SLX 12 speed.
    Specialized Fuse $2200 SX 12 Speed

    Are you capable of fixing/servicing your bikes? Do you want to order a consumer direct bike like a Canyon?

    I'd go to your local shop and ask what they are available to get in a Size Small, Aluminum Hard Tail, 130mm travel, 1x 12 speed with a dropper. If they say yes they can get one, GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3,903

    2022 Bike for Wife....suggestion needed

    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension.
    All good advice so far here, but I just had to pull this quote out for posterity. You know, in case your wife ever visits the thread...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    All good advice so far here, but I just had to pull this quote our for posterity. You know, in case your wife ever visits the thread...
    Hahaha...so true. Between when I started this thread and now, I may have found a bike for cheap or free that is only a couple years old and way nicer then I was going to be able to get (full suspension Scott, size small). Wife sounded happy and extremely grateful. Good day when a good friend offers to save you money and the sig other is stoked on it!

    If she enjoys it, I will be back in a couple seasons asking for advice on a new bike for her!

    Thanks Mags
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'd go to your local shop and ask what they are available to get in a Size Small, Aluminum Hard Tail, 130mm travel, 1x 12 speed with a dropper. If they say yes they can get one, GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
    I was absolutely working with the local shop, so was kind of searching for advice on one of the brands they carry to have more then one opinion. ALWAYS at least try to support the local shop for sure.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,771
    Also keep an eye out for a Kona Honzo. $1800, and I think i'd rather have deore 11s over SX 12s.

    https://konaworld.com/honzo.cfm

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

    I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork...
    I've heard that lighter riders benefit more from a coil than an air spring. I believe the thought process is that lighter riders have a harder time overcoming stiction whereas a coil would offer great small bump sensitivity. Something like an MRP Ribbon Coil. Food for thought.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    26,856
    Buy her a full suspension.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,788
    I hear Symbians are popular w the ladies

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,476
    how come no nekid pics ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    639
    A better bike will help her have more fun. Id say full suspension that works well and a dropper post are essentials. At $2500 just wait around for a good deal on a used bike and save up a bit more.

    Biking is silly expensive. I had to spend more than I wanted initially but my wife clicked with with biking and its fun getting to share the sport. Get her something comparable to your Hightower (in terms of quality) and shell be more likely to have fun and use it often. Canyon might be an option for another $1000.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,299
    I thought this thread was going to be about trading your wife for a 2022 bike.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    26,856
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about trading your wife for a 2022 bike.
    I'll take that deal.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. A friend is giving her their old bike as they have a new one on order. I don't have the full details yet on age, just know they get new bikes every couple years and it is a size small Scott full suspension. I would have to guess a Contessa from sometime in the last 5 years. Just had new breaks and dropper installed...blessed to have it for her to ride the first couple seasons, figure out what she likes, etc.

    Thanks again everyone!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Buy her a full suspension.
    For sure. Full squish changed the game for the lady rider here. Less back pain, more confidence, and shes very proud of her bike (which means I have to keep it tip top, but its worth having a hobby to share)

    ^^Nice score

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,468
    If you want to introduce your wife to the Park. Drive up Wood Road to the Elk Camp work road and park right before the gate.

    With little to no pedaling you can hit all the best lower mountain trails.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	388081

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you want to introduce your wife to the Park. Drive up Wood Road to the Elk Camp work road and park right before the gate.

    With little to no pedaling you can hit all the best lower mountain trails.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	388081
    Thanks Shred! Great intel as always.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    495
    There are some Liv Intrigues out in the wild right now. Pretty hard to go wrong as a starter bike: multi-link suspension design (similar to your Hightower), 140mm travel, tubeless, 12 spd transmission, lots of stand over - about $2500.
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/intrigue
    And the chameleon paint job on this is really really good.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. A friend is giving her their old bike as they have a new one on order. I don't have the full details yet on age, just know they get new bikes every couple years and it is a size small Scott full suspension. I would have to guess a Contessa from sometime in the last 5 years. Just had new breaks and dropper installed...blessed to have it for her to ride the first couple seasons, figure out what she likes, etc.

    Thanks again everyone!
    Can't beat free. I'm sure she'll be a lot more comfortable and have a better time on even a slightly older full suspension than a newer cheap hardtail.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    There are some Liv Intrigues out in the wild right now. Pretty hard to go wrong as a starter bike: multi-link suspension design (similar to your Hightower), 140mm travel, tubeless, 12 spd transmission, lots of stand over - about $2500.
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/intrigue
    And the chameleon paint job on this is really really good.
    Stopped in at the shop today to chat and they had one of these on the floor in medium. That looks like a pretty darn good build for the price and if it wasn't for the free bike...definitely a contender.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •