2022 Bike for Wife....suggestion needed

Hey Mags. I recently started riding and purchased a Hightower. Then...a Giant STP 20 followed for my just turn 6 son. Mom envisions days off work riding local trails here in the RFV with me, or weekends with the kids, plus extending our camping season with trips to Moab and Fruita when the resort is closed in April, May and November.

She is 5'6", 35 and 120lbs. When she started skiing again after taking 20 years off, she was pretty timid, but a couple seasons later and she is starting to enjoy going fast, hits some small jumps with the kids, and competes with our son on who can ski the most blacks for the first time.

That info may seem irrelevant, but meant it more understanding that she probably isn't going to be bombing down Snowmass bike park and hitting jumps, but probably will be doing more then just XC on flat trails. As for uphill, I will most likely be trying to keep up to her before long.

I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork and either a dropper post or the ability to easily add one. 1x up front and she will be on flat pedals. I would kind of prefer not junk as she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension. Max budget is $2500...happy to spend less though if it does make sense to pay that much for a hardtail.

Thanks for any help!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Buy whatever you can find that fits her, right now is not the time to picky.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The obvious answer: Ibis Exie. Don't be a cheap skate with your wife!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork and either a dropper post or the ability to easily add one. 1x up front and she will be on flat pedals. I would kind of prefer not junk as she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension. Max budget is $2500...happy to spend less though if it does make sense to pay that much for a hardtail.
    If that's the criteria, Chain Reaction sells some UK brands that are great options and well under your budget. They're all out of stock right now, so set up stock notification alerts and jump on them the minute you get the email. Any of these will work and they check all your boxes:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod195592
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197469
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod196184

They're also available in dropper-less lower trim levels
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod196186
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197467

For $2500 you can get a nice Hard Tail with mid level components. But like waxman said, its slim pickings, so buy what ever you can't your hands on.
    Almost every brand will have a sub $2500, 29er, 130mm (ish), trail bike, aluminum, hardtail, 1x, dropper.
    Rocky Mountain Growler $2200 with SLX/XT 12 speed.
    SantaCruz Chameleon $2400 with SX/NX 12 Speed
    Trek Roscoe $2300 SX/GX 12 Speed.
    Norco Torrent $2300 with Deore 12 speed
    Cannondale Trail SE $2200 SX/NX 12 Speed
    Niner Air 9 $2100 XT?SLX 12 speed.
    Specialized Fuse $2200 SX 12 Speed

Are you capable of fixing/servicing your bikes? Do you want to order a consumer direct bike like a Canyon?

I'd go to your local shop and ask what they are available to get in a Size Small, Aluminum Hard Tail, 130mm travel, 1x 12 speed with a dropper. If they say yes they can get one, GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

2022 Bike for Wife....suggestion needed

she made a comment about me buying myself a nice bike and her crap, but I also don't want to spend the money for full suspension.
    All good advice so far here, but I just had to pull this quote out for posterity. You know, in case your wife ever visits the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    All good advice so far here, but I just had to pull this quote our for posterity. You know, in case your wife ever visits the thread...
    Hahaha...so true. Between when I started this thread and now, I may have found a bike for cheap or free that is only a couple years old and way nicer then I was going to be able to get (full suspension Scott, size small). Wife sounded happy and extremely grateful. Good day when a good friend offers to save you money and the sig other is stoked on it!

If she enjoys it, I will be back in a couple seasons asking for advice on a new bike for her!

Thanks Mags
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'd go to your local shop and ask what they are available to get in a Size Small, Aluminum Hard Tail, 130mm travel, 1x 12 speed with a dropper. If they say yes they can get one, GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
    I was absolutely working with the local shop, so was kind of searching for advice on one of the brands they carry to have more then one opinion. ALWAYS at least try to support the local shop for sure.

Also keep an eye out for a Kona Honzo. $1800, and I think i'd rather have deore 11s over SX 12s.

https://konaworld.com/honzo.cfm

I was thinking an aluminum hardtail with a decent air spring fork...
    I've heard that lighter riders benefit more from a coil than an air spring. I believe the thought process is that lighter riders have a harder time overcoming stiction whereas a coil would offer great small bump sensitivity. Something like an MRP Ribbon Coil. Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Buy her a full suspension.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I hear Symbians are popular w the ladies

how come no nekid pics ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A better bike will help her have more fun. I’d say full suspension that works well and a dropper post are essentials. At $2500 just wait around for a good deal on a used bike and save up a bit more.

Biking is silly expensive. I had to spend more than I wanted initially but my wife clicked with with biking and it’s fun getting to share the sport. Get her something comparable to your Hightower (in terms of quality) and she’ll be more likely to have fun and use it often. Canyon might be an option for another $1000.

I thought this thread was going to be about trading your wife for a 2022 bike.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about trading your wife for a 2022 bike.
    I'll take that deal.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. A friend is giving her their old bike as they have a new one on order. I don't have the full details yet on age, just know they get new bikes every couple years and it is a size small Scott full suspension. I would have to guess a Contessa from sometime in the last 5 years. Just had new breaks and dropper installed...blessed to have it for her to ride the first couple seasons, figure out what she likes, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Buy her a full suspension.
    For sure. Full squish changed the game for the lady rider here. Less back pain, more confidence, and she’s very proud of her bike (which means I have to keep it tip top, but it’s worth having a hobby to share)

^^Nice score

If you want to introduce your wife to the Park. Drive up Wood Road to the Elk Camp work road and park right before the gate.

With little to no pedaling you can hit all the best lower mountain trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	388081

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you want to introduce your wife to the Park. Drive up Wood Road to the Elk Camp work road and park right before the gate.

With little to no pedaling you can hit all the best lower mountain trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	388081
    Thanks Shred! Great intel as always.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There are some Liv Intrigues out in the wild right now. Pretty hard to go wrong as a starter bike: multi-link suspension design (similar to your Hightower), 140mm travel, tubeless, 12 spd transmission, lots of stand over - about $2500.
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/intrigue
    And the chameleon paint job on this is really really good.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. A friend is giving her their old bike as they have a new one on order. I don't have the full details yet on age, just know they get new bikes every couple years and it is a size small Scott full suspension. I would have to guess a Contessa from sometime in the last 5 years. Just had new breaks and dropper installed...blessed to have it for her to ride the first couple seasons, figure out what she likes, etc.

Thanks again everyone!
    Can't beat free. I'm sure she'll be a lot more comfortable and have a better time on even a slightly older full suspension than a newer cheap hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    There are some Liv Intrigues out in the wild right now. Pretty hard to go wrong as a starter bike: multi-link suspension design (similar to your Hightower), 140mm travel, tubeless, 12 spd transmission, lots of stand over - about $2500.
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/intrigue
    And the chameleon paint job on this is really really good.
    Stopped in at the shop today to chat and they had one of these on the floor in medium. That looks like a pretty darn good build for the price and if it wasn't for the free bike...definitely a contender.