Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I've tried on an absurd amount of pants since creating this thread. So far the closest have been a pair of Arc'teryx Sabre LTs from the outlet. Just missing a beacon pocket but everything else is perfect. Fit is the best for me.

That's good that you found some pants! I'll try to remember to come back and post my thoughts on the HH pants once I have a chance to ski in them, in case anyone else checks this thread out looking for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I've tried on an absurd amount of pants since creating this thread. So far the closest have been a pair of Arc'teryx Sabre LTs from the outlet. Just missing a beacon pocket but everything else is perfect. Fit is the best for me.
    Now admittedly they're a burlier fabric than than the Sabre LT and certainly more spendy, but the Rush pant seems to have the other features you're looking for, including decent sizes front facing pockets that fit a beacon, snacks, etc. Probs too small for a beer though...

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Now admittedly they're a burlier fabric than than the Sabre LT and certainly more spendy, but the Rush pant seems to have the other features you're looking for, including decent sizes front facing pockets that fit a beacon, snacks, etc. Probs too small for a beer though...
    I may or may not have a pair of rush pants arriving in the mail soon, with the looser of the fit off to be returned Couldn't find any in a local store to compare.

Who Makes The Perfect Hardshell Ski Pants?

Please circle back with a comparison. I’m looking at both due to an Arc’teryx credit.

I definitely want to know which has the looser fit. Cuz. Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Please circle back with a comparison. I’m looking at both due to an Arc’teryx credit.

I definitely want to know which has the looser fit. Cuz. Covid.

Will post an update later this week

I may or may not have a pair of rush pants arriving in the mail soon, with the looser of the fit off to be returned Couldn't find any in a local store to compare.
    Right on! Also curious to hear how you figure they compare with some of the others. I previously used the Beta SV for many years and find the Rush a slightly more tailored fit.

Rush arrived today and are the winners!

Rush vs Sabre LT Fit: The rush are a bit looser with similar length.
    The pockets on the rush are on the thigh as opposed to normal hand pockets for the sabre. Neither will fit a beer comfortably.
    The vents on the rush are longer.

The rush material feels much beefier (regular goretex vs gore-pro) along with the patches on the inside of the ankles to protect against ski edges + crampons.

Both are fantastic pants but I am sticking with the rush due to the heavier materials. I got six years and hundreds of days on my old pants and would like to continue the trend of simply not having to worry about this piece of gear when I put it on. I also like the color of the rush pants I was able to get better than the sabres.

Other contenders:

Mammut haldigrat. They were sweet but unfortunately too long on me. The short size was too baggy.

Patagonia Powslayer. Again too long, the pockets were too small for me along with the vents.

Rab Men's Khroma Kinetic. My second favorite besides the arc models. Trimmest fit and best pocket layout. But inseam was the longest of the bunch.

For reference I am 5'5" 135lbs with a 30" inseam, which is why its so hard to find stuff that fits me well. A lot of people will not have fit problems with any of the pants mentioned above if you are an average height with a normal inseam.

legend in my own mind

Rush arrived today and are the winners!

Rush vs Sabre LT Fit: The rush are a bit looser with similar length.
    The pockets on the rush are on the thigh as opposed to normal hand pockets for the sabre. Neither will fit a beer comfortably.
    The vents on the rush are longer.

The rush material feels much beefier (regular goretex vs gore-pro) along with the patches on the inside of the ankles to protect against ski edges + crampons.

Both are fantastic pants but I am sticking with the rush due to the heavier materials. I got six years and hundreds of days on my old pants and would like to continue the trend of simply not having to worry about this piece of gear when I put it on. I also like the color of the rush pants I was able to get better than the sabres.

Other contenders:

Mammut haldigrat. They were sweet but unfortunately too long on me. The short size was too baggy.

Patagonia Powslayer. Again too long, the pockets were too small for me along with the vents.

Rab Men's Khroma Kinetic. My second favorite besides the arc models. Trimmest fit and best pocket layout. But inseam was the longest of the bunch.

For reference I am 5'5" 135lbs with a 30" inseam, which is why its so hard to find stuff that fits me well. A lot of people will not have fit problems with any of the pants mentioned above if you are an average height with a normal inseam.
    Good feedback. Thanks for posting this. I just replaced my Theta AR with a Rush jacket. Pants are next, though my Patagonia Primos (like cordura XCR) are still kicking. Was debating Rush, Sabre, or Powslayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Bump.

Looking for input on hard shell work pants for the hill. I haven’t skied in hard shell pants in decades. Warm and wet has been my MO on wet days.

I want useful pockets, ventilation, durability, loose fit, black. The patagucci mountain utility pant has my attention because I’m a whore and shop form.

What’s an equivalent from flylow? Does flylow make black pants?

Others?
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-11-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bump.

Looking for input on hard shell work pants for the hill. I haven’t skied in hard shell pants in decades. Warm and wet has been my MO on wet days.

I want useful pockets, ventilation, durability, loose fit, black. The patagucci mountain utility pant has my attention because I’m a whore and shop form.

Others?
    Those are a new version of the rubicon. The most burly ski pants ever made. If I had the coin I'd buy 2 more pairs and be set for life. Can't speak more highly of the rubicons I've been rocking for 10 years. They are finally getting beat after what, 800 days?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bump.

Others?
    I’ve been using Eddie Bauer Nail Driver pants for 10 years. Basically soft shell Carhartt. The new version is the Mountain Ops Ski tour pant. Heavy duty soft shell with waterproof double knees. I’m not wearing hard shell unless it’s raining or snowing at 32 degrees.

If you’re set on hard shell, I’d look a snowmobile gear for working.
    Something like these https://ride509.com/products/temper-insulated-overalls

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the responses. Those Eddie Bauer Mountain Ops pants are a great price point.

My current pants are patagucci northwall’s, which have powershield pro fabric with a fleece lining. Their fabric has held up amazingly well over many hundreds of days, but the pants have one little pocket, which is a pita for me when skiing the hill, especially when working. I’ve also blown the zipper on the pocket multiple times.