Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So you don't accidentally run down the battery as easily?
    it would take about 1,000 up/downs to drain a car battery. Plus, you can do it in accessory mode anyway, when the engine isn't running.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Sure enough, that fucking piece of shit driver aid was the culprit. I guess the occasional slush pile on road and lane boundary was confusing it at times into trying to re center the car? Who knows.
    Similar experience when I got my new tacoma. In my case it was in construction zones where the lanes had shifted but they didn't do a good job of removing the old paint striping. Lots of crazy beeping as I wasn't going where the truck thought I should be going. Fortunately there was no active steering assist, just beeping, and I was able to permanently turn it off.

I've had bigger problems with the smart cruise control. Tacoma is not refined like the Sienna we rented on a road trip couple years ago. You'd be cruising along and never notice the Sienna gradually decelerate from 80 to 70 or 60 for a slower vehicle ahead, the system was so smooth. There's nothing smooth about the Tacoma. It's a constant battle between maintaining cruise speed and following distance. There is a slower car ahead in your lane, Tacoma is full speed ahead until the second that car comes within sensor range and then it hits the brakes. You know the radar can see far enough ahead that all it needs to do is let off the accelerator, but instead it is full on and then hit the brakes. Incredibly annoying and wasteful.

Have also had a instances that seemed dangerous. Driving on a curve on the freeway the sensor has picked up a slower vehicle in the next lane and applied the brakes. Same thing when a car that is going the same speed changes lanes across a gap in front of you. It's braking hard enough to startle you and any cars behind you who aren't expecting you to brake.

Cruise is supposed to make driving easier, but this system just adds stress and annoyance. Tacoma system is unusable unless freeway traffic is very light. Fortunately you can still turn on dumb cruise control, so that is all I use now.

It's not just the Tacoma. I'm sure radar cruise is good in some vehicles but it's been a downgrade in several cars I've driven.

Cruise control slows down? WTF? I expect it to speed up so I can pass the slow azz hooptie blocking my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    It's not just the Tacoma. I'm sure radar cruise is good in some vehicles but it's been a downgrade in several cars I've driven.
    My 2006 Sequoia has terrible cruise control. Doesn't have smart cruise, of course, but if the car is going 55 and cruise is set at 65 and you hit "resume" it will red line it to get back to 65 as soon as possible, rather than just normally accelerating.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Our 2017 VW alltrack has radar cruise (I didn’t need it but I was lucky to find a stick shift locally, so…) and I use it occasionally — the selectable following distance has been appropriate, with 3 choices that line up with what you’d expect. Seems like Toyota should get this shit right too.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Similar experience when I got my new tacoma. In my case it was in construction zones where the lanes had shifted but they didn't do a good job of removing the old paint striping. Lots of crazy beeping as I wasn't going where the truck thought I should be going. Fortunately there was no active steering assist, just beeping, and I was able to permanently turn it off.

I've had bigger problems with the smart cruise control. Tacoma is not refined like the Sienna we rented on a road trip couple years ago. You'd be cruising along and never notice the Sienna gradually decelerate from 80 to 70 or 60 for a slower vehicle ahead, the system was so smooth. There's nothing smooth about the Tacoma. It's a constant battle between maintaining cruise speed and following distance. There is a slower car ahead in your lane, Tacoma is full speed ahead until the second that car comes within sensor range and then it hits the brakes. You know the radar can see far enough ahead that all it needs to do is let off the accelerator, but instead it is full on and then hit the brakes. Incredibly annoying and wasteful.

Have also had a instances that seemed dangerous. Driving on a curve on the freeway the sensor has picked up a slower vehicle in the next lane and applied the brakes. Same thing when a car that is going the same speed changes lanes across a gap in front of you. It's braking hard enough to startle you and any cars behind you who aren't expecting you to brake.

Cruise is supposed to make driving easier, but this system just adds stress and annoyance. Tacoma system is unusable unless freeway traffic is very light. Fortunately you can still turn on dumb cruise control, so that is all I use now.
    Reason number 238 why I bought a Colorado and not a Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Woo-Dus View Post
    Sure, but only one wire coat hanger to get the window down.
    so you'd open the window instead of the door? i mean as designed I know some window buttons are easier to operate than door locks, but they needn't be (and actually, the window buttons I am familiar with might be easier to pull up than the door lock, but you couldn't push them down to open the window with wire- and at the point where you'd start using something better than a coathanger then you'd just use one of those shiv things to open the door)

Inconvenient conveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

Same with my Tundra…….lane departure feature is turned off…and cruise is manageable but kinda annoying. (Wife really hates it) I do like the blind spot feature though…and my headlights work. So I got that going for me.

I've been pretty happy with the adaptive cruise control and lane assist in my 4ester. Once in a while it slows on a curve because of a car in the next lane but it's gentle. The lane assist is unpredictable--sometimes it doesn't see both lane lines when they're obvious, and once in a while it sees the lane lines when they are obscure or scrapped away entirely, but when it's working it works well. One time it caught me dozing--something I never do--re-centered the car and the movement of the steering wheel woke me. I do have to be careful pulling into the garage. I have to touch the bumper to the back wall and if I'm not careful the car slams on the brakes.

Saw a Tesla damn near take out someone in the next lane over yesterday. There's some road construction going on the interstate and the stripes went both straight and veered over for temporary lanes that were no longer in use. Tesla took a quick dive over to the next lane following the temp lines, almost side swiping the vehicle next to it. Thankfully the driver must've been somewhat paying attention as he swooped back to the correct lane. Close freaking call that definitely seemed to be caused by the autonomous feature most likely.

Just following it’s programming. That’s all it can do.

My phone can't find itself anywhere other than my house unless I keep it still for more than a few minutes when it's on wi-fi. If the phone is moving it has no idea where it is so using maps is completely useless. The wife's new car doesn't have nav and the maps in my car are 9 years old and can't be updated anymore. Big pain in the fkn ass easy technology bullshit.

That phone's either defective or ancient. Time for action.

There's probably a reason LG stopped making and selling phones last year. I have a feeling I found one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Cruise control slows down? WTF? I expect it to speed up so I can pass the slow azz hooptie blocking my way.
    In a Highlander that's prone to wandering. Living dangerously there man

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There's probably a reason LG stopped making and selling phones last year. I have a feeling I found one of them.
    LG phones are notorious for crappy GPS. I had a G4 that I loved other than the GPS functionality.

My phone can't find itself anywhere other than my house unless I keep it still for more than a few minutes when it's on wi-fi. If the phone is moving it has no idea where it is so using maps is completely useless. The wife's new car doesn't have nav and the maps in my car are 9 years old and can't be updated anymore. Big pain in the fkn ass easy technology bullshit.
    Garmin standalone GPS with lifetime map updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

In a Highlander that's prone to wandering. Living dangerously there man
    Heh. I usually drive the Sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I had one of those stolen from my car a couple of years ago. I had no idea there was still a demand for those on the black market.
    My phone does OK because I would rather get lost and die of starvation than use the Subaru navigation system.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    An inconvenient convenience epitomized. Additional technology purchase to accommodate the deficiency of the original inconvenience. Bravo.

Inconvenient conveniences: anything made by Microsoft these days