Page 30 of 92 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    As far as expectations go… how quickly we forget. Jordan won three straight titles, did the whole first retirement thing and minor league baseball… and upon his return he had way more eyes on him than LeBron ever has. It was an absolute scene. This isn’t in any way bashing LeBron but it’s kind of funny to me that it’s even being compared. I suspect most who are over 40 in this thread will agree wholeheartedly. Things are just different now compared to the monoculture that doesn’t really exist any longer.
    Yeah, but nobody was putting that much scrutiny on 18 year old MJ. And comparing the scrutiny of the pre-internet days, with the scrutiny that comes in today's social media world, is way off base. For his time, MJ had tremendous eyeballs him. But I am not only over 40 but over 50, and comparing something from the 90s to today, well, it just isn't the same. People didn't have pocket video devices, couldn't tell the whole world that they just saw Michael at McDonalds, whatever. No way is that anything like what things are today. Not to mention, you're trying to compare a 2 year period of MJ's life with 18 years of LBJ's.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My brother-in-law‘s dad was driving out of a Bear’s game, (and we were probably listening to post game comments on the radio), and I don’t remember the exact topic but he said: You know, I don’t think the Bulls know what they’ve got with this Michael Jordan guy.
    The Bulls sucked back then and there was a lot of hype because they had number 3 pick etc. Anyway, we were all avid sports fans, my brother-in-law‘s father was a season ticket holder for both Bulls and Bears etc. and it’s like “oh this guy could be good”.
    Remember high school LeBron was on the front page of SI.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

2021/2022 NBA Thread: Anyone but the Lakers or Nets!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, but nobody was putting that much scrutiny on 18 year old MJ. And comparing the scrutiny of the pre-internet days, with the scrutiny that comes in today's social media world, is way off base. For his time, MJ had tremendous eyeballs him. But I am not only over 40 but over 50, and comparing something from the 90s to today, well, it just isn't the same. People didn't have pocket video devices, couldn't tell the whole world that they just saw Michael at McDonalds, whatever. No way is that anything like what things are today. Not to mention, you're trying to compare a 2 year period of MJ's life with 18 years of LBJ's.
    Sure I guess it’s just different. But this is what I like to call the “mom test.” She couldn’t tell you much about LeBron but MJ was on her radar because he was front page news, hence my monoculture reference. It has nothing to do with LeBron, it simply no longer exists. In terms of cultural influence it isn’t even close. The NFL and Tom Brady is the only thing that registers in that realm currently.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Sure I guess it’s just different. But this is what I like to call the “mom test.” She couldn’t tell you much about LeBron but MJ was on her radar because he was front page news, hence my monoculture reference. It has nothing to do with LeBron, it simply no longer exists. In terms of cultural influence it isn’t even close. The NFL and Tom Brady is the only thing that registers in that realm currently.
    I’d agree with this. Remember when everybody talked about the same news? Seinfeld? There’s just too much now for that to ever be true. All eyes on you vs eyes always on you.
    focus.

I'll see your point and raise you: Brady is not in the same hemisphere as Jordan was. Lest we forget, Jordan, as a person, was actually a brand as big as Coke or IBM. There's been nothing like it in the sports world before or since. In fact, there's been nothing even close.

Sixers just getting punked by Los Nets.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I'll see your point and raise you: Brady is not in the same hemisphere as Jordan was. Lest we forget, Jordan, as a person, was actually a brand as big as Coke or IBM. There's been nothing like it in the sports world before or since. In fact, there's been nothing even close.
    Agreed. Tiger is probably as close as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Sixers just getting punked by Los Nets.
    exposed in many ways.......30% shooting won't happen all the time.....and the nets won't shoot 56% every game - but - i thought coaching blew - throw it to embiid and watch, standing around on offense - zero defense, no bench at all (sixers sub in shake milton, they send in patty mills.....that sort of sums up benches). i predict another 1st or 2nd round exit...............especially if james harden forgets how to play. hopefully more changes this summer; need much more than just harden.
    was hoping Morey would of done way more on the buy-out market.

Utah Jazz play Ukrainian anyhem before game, give thousands of roomnights to Ukrainian refugees
    https://www.nba.com/jazz/utah-jazz-f...inian-refugees

Like Wordle? Try it for NBA players: https://poeltl.dunk.town/

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    This is awesome. It's a good thing they only have one per day or my Friday would be gone.

Agreed. Tiger is probably as close as it gets.
    Tiger is the first to come to mind, but I also think we are heavily discounting LeBron. He is globally known. Brady can't hold a candle to his worldwide influence, NFL only has so much reach.

LeBron, if he isn't already, will be bigger than MJ, it's just a fact due to his youthful head start, times he came up in, and his diversification into other mediums, markets and career paths well before something like that was a possibility for MJ.

Look at his production company alone (seriously, look at this shit https://bronstudios.com/), it's incredible the level of talent he's assembled and reach he's already established. He's on a Disney-like trajectory.
    I still call it The Jake.

I guess it depends on what you mean by bigger… but in terms of cultural influence LeBron is nowhere close to MJ during his peak.

Sheeyit, Karl Malone did Hardees commercials

Steph, Klay and Draymond back on the court together for the first time in 1005 days. What a crazy stretch.

Steph, Klay and Draymond back on the court together for the first time in 1005 days. What a crazy stretch.
    That's pretty crazy. I didn't realize it had been that long.

I've decided to adopt the Nuggets as my playoff team. I know everyone here was wondering.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    fuck that's hard. first one I got without help, second one I had to cheat.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah I’m sure there will be easier ones but some of the more obscure players are tough - I had to cheat on today’s answer.

My friend had a great point, how on Earth could they not name that game Wardell??? It’s too perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    That's pretty crazy. I didn't realize it had been that long.

I've decided to adopt the Nuggets as my playoff team. I know everyone here was wondering.
    What? How dare you.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Celts playing good D overall and up 16 on Dubs at half. Dubs entirely incompetent. Celtics offense nothing special.

Dubs are 4/24 from 3, and have missed about 10 wide open 3s out of their 20 misses (my definition: nobody within 8').

Let's hope that Smart's diving roll on Curry's ankle doesn't cause any lingering injury. Unfortunate result on that play.

I think Curry will be fine, but god damn Smart, you didn't have to go all fucking Patrick Beverly out there. Diving low on a guy from behind is bush league. And I like Smart, sure it was just a quick reaction while hustling.

Why is no one on this Boston defense in the DPOY conversation? Sure, the Warriors are missing open looks, but they're still the number 1 D in the league currently.

The Celts top 7 guys, and 8 of 9, are very solid defensive players, which is why nobody gets DPOY talk.

Jokic with 29-13-8 in 26 minutes. Ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Celts top 7 guys, and 8 of 9, are very solid defensive players, which is why nobody gets DPOY talk.
    Among that group are bigs mobile enough to switch on the perimeter and ball handlers long and strong enough to guard wings. They can switch all day. Or not. Plus their stars work on D every night.

Replacing Schroeder with White transformed this team. Schroeder is selfish, erratic and tends to dribble aimlessly. White is selfless and moves the ball quickly and intelligently. And White's advantage on D is even more colossal. On top of that they just trust each other now.

Agreed 100%.