Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Please do, I love me some Beef Stew.
    here it is

How Isaiah Stewart is becoming heart and soul of Pistons: ‘He’s our anchor’

Kelly Olynyk, sitting in an almost-empty Little Caesars Arena after a shootaround session last week, was examining his arms with a smirk on his face. The Pistons forward looked to one side, then the other, faintly pointing to spots up and down his pasty-white guns that were not so long ago tattooed with wounds from battle.

Olynyk, like a good teammate and professional, avoided the question asked to him, which was: “You and Isaiah Stewart are both very competitive. During camp, was there — I don’t want to say fights — any stories of you two really going at it?” The look on his face said everything. A look at each arm sent the veteran’s mind down memory lane. He looked up, perhaps with a visual on his mind but was wise enough to keep it vague.

“That dude hits hard, man. That dude hits hard,” Olynyk told The Athletic. “A bunch of scratches, claws. Ten years in this league, you know what to expect. Young guys, they’re going to go full speed, 110 miles per hour, hit.”

The cat is out of the bag on Isaiah Stewart, the Pistons’ second-year center. He’s no longer catching NBA big men and teams by surprise with his never-ending motor and physicality. A year ago, Stewart made the NBA’s All-Rookie Second Team as a bench player for Detroit. His antagonistic on-court persona coupled with his sweetheart demeanor off the floor quickly endeared the 20-year-old to a city that fell in love with professional basketball because of players just like him.

In Year 2, Stewart is now a starter for the Pistons. He’s getting a crash course in what it takes to be an elite defensive big man in today’s NBA. Stewart hasn’t looked out of place. His presence is felt more nights than not. In the process, he’s become the heart and soul of a rebuilding franchise that is trying to restore the fabric of its glory days into the modern era. Stewart, too, has become the human embodiment of “Detroit vs. Everybody,” as made clear in Friday’s loss to the Nets, a game in which Stewart got tangled up with Blake Griffin, a former teammate and admirer of the young center. The dust-up ended with Stewart standing over a laying Griffin like a warrior who had just finished the job, and it evoked the greatest roar in the building on a night that had plenty of them, as Detroit narrowly fell to star-studded Brooklyn.

Stewart, more quickly than most anticipated, is stating his claim as a core piece to what the Pistons are trying to build.

“He plays like that every day — practice or game, it doesn’t matter,” second-year forward Saddiq Bey said. “He plays the same way — aggressive, hard. That’s a testament to him and his consistency, his mindset and mentality.”

When Stewart came to the NBA, many questioned whether he had the capabilities to be a bothersome rim protector. At 6-foot-8, he’s a little undersized. He’s not the greatest leaper. In college, at Washington, he was in the middle of a 2-3 zone. There just wasn’t enough evidence out there. However, thanks to an enormous wingspan, good anticipation and that motor, Stewart currently ranks 13th in the NBA in blocked shots per game (1.3). Additionally, the Pistons’ most-used lineup this season (the starting group of Killian Hayes, Cade Cunningham, Saddiq Bey, Jerami Grant and Stewart have logged 57 minutes together this year — all this past week), has a respectable defensive rating of 99.2, per NBA.com.

Stewart, if you ask his teammates, is the spine of Detroit’s potential defensively.

“He’s our anchor,” Bey said. “He’s physical, has good, quick feet and long arms, quick jumps. He’s everything you need in a defensive presence inside. He’s definitely our anchor, for sure, down low. Him being so young, it’s going to be great for the future.”

Head coach Dwane Casey said the team is allowing Stewart to switch more defensively because of his good feet and improved awareness. Also, Stewart is far more communicative this go-around.

“He’s talking and communicating,” Casey said.” That’s always a thing for the young players. He’s doing a better job now.”

As with any young player, Stewart still has work to do to cement himself as a full-time, long-time starter in the NBA. The offensive end is the obvious place to look, but the framework for him to be a real threat on that end is there. The shooting stroke has a good base, and with time, he’ll eventually shoot more and be more efficient from distance. Until then, though, Stewart has to continue developing as a screener and roller, as well as continue to improve his decision-making when getting the ball as a roller. Inside, he’s fine. Without Stewart being an elite vertical threat, 88 percent of his shots are 10 feet or fewer from the basket, per NBA.com, and he’s converting on 61 percent of those opportunities.

Stewart isn’t what many coaches and teammates believe he will be five years from now, but the foundation is solid. As the rest of his game comes along, Stewart will survive and impact by doing what he’s always done: playing hard. That in itself goes a long way. However, there’s something about Stewart’s makeup that suggests he has a chance to be a longtime player in this league, possibly a pillar to a good team. Time will tell.

It’s clear now, though, Stewart’s spirit radiates throughout the rest of Detroit’s roster like he’s a wily veteran. Yet, there’s still an innocence about the way he plays the game. When and if Stewart can put it all together, well, it’ll be appointment viewing.

“He’s a student of the game,” Olynyk said. “He’s always asking questions… ‘What did you see with this? Why did you do that?’ That’s good. A second-year player coming to you. You don’t have to come to him.”
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

�� Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No, not straight up. Just mean including Smart as a major piece. Smart + Williams would be intriguing, though Philly wouldn't want Williams so a 3rd team would need to be involved.
    No offense but I think you're over valuing Smart a tad.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    No offense but I think you're over valuing Smart a tad.
    Nah, I'm not saying Philly should take that trade, I'm just saying that Smart/Williams and one of Pritchard/Langford/Nesmith is the best Boston could do.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What if every team had its own Marcus Smart?
    https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/5/...n-marcus-smart

2021/2022 NBA Thread: Anyone but the Lakers or Nets!

Curry had 50 tonight.

Hawks were up 15 and Trae Young had his floater game going. He and Curry both had 24 at half.

In 3rd, Curry kept going and the Dubs won by 14 on a SEGABABA.

Young ended up with 28.

Hawks have their own SEGABABA at Jazz tomorrow.

Markieef learned one of the oldest rules in sport
    Never cheap shot a Serbian.

Jarrett Allen named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week, the fist Cavalier since LeBron to earn the honor.

This young team is fun. Sucks Sexton just went down with a meniscus tear though.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Markieef learned one of the oldest rules in sport
    Never cheap shot a Serbian.
    Jimmy Butler decided to be a fake tough guy once he returned to the bench. I'm not condoning Jokic's actions but he did have a knee injury a week ago and Morris went for the knee first (after coming from half the court away).

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Jimmy Butler decided to be a fake tough guy once he returned to the bench. I'm not condoning Jokic's actions but he did have a knee injury a week ago and Morris went for the knee first (after coming from half the court away).
    with the game out of reach in an early season game. At first I was like "what the fuck is wrong with Jokic," then I saw the full replay and, well that shit is uncalled for and you reap what you sow.
    Jokic will be suspended a few games but noone comes at him again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    with the game out of reach in an early season game. At first I was like "what the fuck is wrong with Jokic," then I saw the full replay and, well that shit is uncalled for and you reap what you sow.
    Jokic will be suspended a few games but noone comes at him again this season.
    What Morris did was bush league. I can't stand the Joker but he takes a ton of shit out there...it's hard to be a big guy in the league these days. I don't think he deserves more than a 1 game suspension for that and Morris should get something too. He fully instigated that whole thing.

Don’t blame Jokic at all after seeing that knee contact. Morris is lucky he didn’t really fuck him up.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think Shaq and Barkley said it well: "If you're going to hit me, don't turn your back, because I'm gonna hit you back."

Fuck Morris. He goes in hard like that and then immediately turns and walks away like a he's innocent. He got what he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I think Shaq and Barkley said it well: "If you're going to hit me, don't turn your back, because I'm gonna hit you back."

Fuck Morris. He goes in hard like that and then immediately turns and walks away like a he's innocent. He got what he deserved.
    Agreed. The idea that Joker is a punk because he hit Morris in the back is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I can't stand the Joker.
    What’s not to like? (Out of curiosity)

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    That he's not on the Blazers and his flopping around gets old. Mainly it's that he's too fucking good.

^^ Haha. Most honest NBA take ever right there.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    He reminds the Blazers fans what Sabonis would have done for them if he got here in 88

After watching that Pistons @ Rockets game I feel pretty good about the Piston’s choice of Cunningham over Green. Green right now is probably a better pure scorer, but Cunningham seems to work in the flow of the game better. Pretty funny to see Green get T’d up running his mouth after a dunk. Cunningham just goes about his business communicating with his teammates while doing all the right things.

It remains to be seen which one will be the better player in the long run but my money is on Cade.

^^^ Agree, it was a good game to watch for 2 one-win teams.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Anthony Edwards exploded on the Dubs. 48/5/5 on 16/27 FG; 7/13 3s. Looks good this year; had a few forced drives, but hyper efficient and basically getting anything he wanted. Fun to watch. Good thing KAT is empty calories.

Dunno what got into Wiggins; maybe got up for TWolves? 35 on 14/19 shooting and posterized KAT 2x. Wish he’d be that aggressive more often.

Westy watch: another triple double 25/14/12 on decent efficiency but also 8 TOs. Season 28% from 3, plus Averaging 9 assists and 5 TOs.

Why would Lakers put ball in Russ’ hands if LeBron on floor? And why play those two together and mess up spacing?

I think it's just accepting the reality that the only way the Lakers will have a chance is if LeBron and Russ can be productive on the floor together. So basically hoping they figure it out over the next few months.

Warriors are 10-1 now... and Klay isn't back yet (but they've had a relatively easy schedule). Not bad for a supposed 10 - 12th seed. ;-)

Rumor has it Klay might return in late December, ahead of schedule. I have tickets on Dec 28th so fingers crossed I get lucky.

That must be nice for you W fans. The Blazers are pretty disappointing.

Celtics seem to be figuring shit out, at least a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Celtics seem to be figuring shit out, at least a little.
    Sorry if this was hashed out earlier in the thread and I missed it, but do you Celts fans think Tatum and Brown can win it all together? If not, who do you want to see stick around long term.

I'm asking because I see it as being a similar situation as Dame and CJ. They're both great, I think Dame is clearly better, but they're not winning it all together and it's unfortunate, but one has to go. Is the same view held by Celts fans or are they not there yet?

and to take this a step further I think I would be willing to trade Dame for Brown.