Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Sorry if this was hashed out earlier in the thread and I missed it, but do you Celts fans think Tatum and Brown can win it all together? If not, who do you want to see stick around long term.

I'm asking because I see it as being a similar situation as Dame and CJ. They're both great, I think Dame is clearly better, but they're not winning it all together and it's unfortunate, but one has to go. Is the same view held by Celts fans or are they not there yet?

and to take this a step further I think I would be willing to trade Dame for Brown.
    I can't speak for all Cs fans of course, but my feeling is it is way too early to decide that. They are too young, and too new to being the alphas (even Tatum had to defer somewhat to Kemba and Kyrie, and Brown is very new to being "the" guy). I do not think it is similar at all to Dame and CJ, because a) we haven't seen enough of Tatum and Brown as alphas yet like I just mentioned (Dame and CJ have a long track record), and b) they are both long wings that won't and don't get abused defensively.

With improvement by the surrounding cast, like Timelord and Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard, I do think they can win. They can also still put together a trade for a third star with the pieces they have, both in terms of getting these guys some run to build trade value, and also in terms of having salary to match without giving up Tatum and Brown.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

They’re not trading Dame.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I can't speak for all Cs fans of course, but my feeling is it is way too early to decide that. They are too young, and too new to being the alphas (even Tatum had to defer somewhat to Kemba and Kyrie, and Brown is very new to being "the" guy). I do not think it is similar at all to Dame and CJ, because a) we haven't seen enough of Tatum and Brown as alphas yet like I just mentioned (Dame and CJ have a long track record), and b) they are both long wings that won't and don't get abused defensively.

With improvement by the surrounding cast, like Timelord and Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard, I do think they can win. They can also still put together a trade for a third star with the pieces they have, both in terms of getting these guys some run to build trade value, and also in terms of having salary to match without giving up Tatum and Brown.
    Makes sense. If they do figure it out I could see them being similar to a Jordan/Pippen combination...probably not that good obviously, but similar in that they figure out how to coexist while winning games.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    They’re not trading Dame.
    And I sure hope we're not trading Jaylen Brown.

I'm with Danno, I want to see what these guys can do as the lead duo, and if their other youngsters can step up. Rob Williams is looking good and playing way more minutes than ever, and Langford is showing signs. Horford/Schroder/Richardson is a nice veteran trio in the mix too. I'm bullish.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    And I sure hope we're not trading Jaylen Brown.

I'm with Danno, I want to see what these guys can do as the lead duo, and if their other youngsters can step up. Rob Williams is looking good and playing way more minutes than ever, and Langford is showing signs. Horford/Schroder/Richardson is a nice veteran trio in the mix too. I'm bullish.
    I don't blame you for having that take. If you could get Dame for Brown I think the Celts instantly become a favorite in the East. Long-term that might not make as much sense but if you get a chip out of it would it be worth it?

I don't get Dame....loyalty does not get you a chip....portland not winning one, not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    I don't get Dame....loyalty does not get you a chip....portland not winning one, not anytime soon.
    Totally. Embiid should bail too!

I wouldn't do Dame for Brown straight up. Dame is the better player right now, but not by much, and Brown is on the rise and young (plus a better contract).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Seems the Celtics aren’t that far off on talent. Would want to hear from Celtics fans about leadership/culture, and whether bringing in someone different would upgrade leadership/culture and still keep high talent level. Don’t see an obvious way to do that.

Smart has leadership qualities. Does he have the requisite judgment/talent/performance level? Seems inconsistent to me.

See, I like Smart. I don't think he gets enough credit. He's more than his stats. As a Celtics fan I've seen too many "stars" come through that couldn't deliver AND were corrosive to the team, cough, Kyrie, cough. So I'm a little apprehensive about the next big thing someone wants on the team. I'd hate to give up Smart's intangibles and not have someone who fills that niche, even if they can score, but keep us short of a ring.

I agree that Smart is way better and more important than the stats show. He's definitely the kind of player that championship teams want/have. That said, I don't think he's untouchable, I'd trade him in the right deal. But I definitely value him much higher than as just a matching salary.

I like smart, except for the occasional boneheaded play such as the foul at the end of the Dallas game. The celts are playing much better now, last year they looked like world beaters one night and beaters the next. I’m curious to see if they stay consistent

2021/2022 NBA Thread: Anyone but the Lakers or Nets!

So one fun thing about the league right now: it’s as wide open as it has been in years. There’s like 8-12 teams that could conceivably win it all depending on how things break. When was the last time we had that?

Even as a Warriors fan I had to admit it was boring once KD joined. Stay healthy, they win, someone gets hurt and maybe they lose. Injures being the x factor isn’t exactly fun.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Dame looks like he got the bag and got comfy. The way he's playing this year, and the contract he just signed, I'm glad he's comfortable in Portland cause he may be really hard to move by the end of the year.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dame reminds me a lot of Draymond. Doesn’t feel like he can go all the way and loses his edge. Those guys are good friends too so kind of makes sense. Put Dame in a situation where he has hope again and I bet it would be different. Or it’s just a slump, who knows?

So the W’s appear to be able to turn it on or off at will.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So the W’s appear to be able to turn it on or off at will.
    Defense is really good. They make the effort.

Steph gonna Steph. Curry scored 40 on the Bulls with just 1 FT. 15/24, 9/17 from 3. 50, 25, and 40 last 3 games.

Ok, Harden getting there. Scored 39 on 11/18, 6/10 from 3, and 11/15 FTs. Also had 12 assists.

Neglecting his flop count, though?

Last night’s game against the Cavaliers had me once again questioning the payment for watching a season of disappointment.

Tonight they traveled to Toronto and turned it on in the fourth quarter for a win. Shooting has been horrible so far this season, tonight they actually shot the ball well. Cade was off for most of the night but hit shots down the stretch to secure the win. Beef Stew was able to keep out of foul trouble and contributed on offense as much as his usual defensive presence. Killian flirted with a triple double and has some fast hands on the defensive end.

Still feeling pretty good about the future of the Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Neglecting his flop count, though?
    I hate watching his shit. He “ain’t even that good.”

Dubs up 5 on Nets at half. Curry 19; Wiggins 13. Durant 16; Harden 14 and has 8 FTs at half.

Fun half of hoop except for the FT parade. 31 FTs between the two teams so far.

Curry keeps going from damn near the logo. Crazy shit.

Got MVP chants at Barclays.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 11-16-2021 at 10:37 PM.

I'm really digging how deep the team goes, at least in terms of potential contributions and "next man up" attitude combined with a rare selflessness. But team chemistry can be a fragile thing, and I'm just glad the dubs have it...for now.

Makes it really fun to watch, and root for all the players, not just the superstars.

Draymond was outrageous tonight. Some of the playmaking was unreal. And even taking threes and going to the hoop!

Has the mitten been discussed in this thread yet? Because he is rad.

I’ve caught most w’s games so far and this team is fun as hell. Which is good for me, because the covid-ravaged 6ers are not at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Draymond was outrageous tonight. Some of the playmaking was unreal. And even taking threes and going to the hoop!

Has the mitten been discussed in this thread yet? Because he is rad.

I’ve caught most w’s games so far and this team is fun as hell. Which is good for me, because the covid-ravaged 6ers are not at the moment.
    From The Athletic - Marcus Thompson:

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — You’ve got to understand. This is Kevin Durant.

Easily one of the greatest players ever. The best scorer in the modern era of the NBA, someone whose talents translate in any era, any style, any situation. And he is playing in MVP form: 28.9 points per game on 56.7 percent shooting.

So for him to go scoreless in the third quarter on 0-for-8 shooting, missing all four of his 3-point attempts while the Nets got outscored by 17, was an epic display of defense. A signature performance in what is shaping up to be an emphatic Defensive Player of the Year campaign for Draymond Green.

“You can’t do a better job defensively than what Draymond did tonight,” Steve Kerr said. “Kevin is, as I’ve said before, he’s the most talented basketball player ever in terms of that size and skill and ability to get any shot he wants. He showed it in the first quarter. He got anywhere he wanted. And then I just thought we stayed with it. That was the main thing. In that third-quarter performance, Draymond was with him everywhere he went. You can’t possibly do a better job than what Draymond did.”

You’ve got to understand. This is Draymond Green.

He is one of the great defenders of all time. In an era of heavy perimeter play and disappearing post play, Green has emerged as the most versatile defender in the game. He’s played a 6-foot-7 center for championship teams. He’s arguably the greatest help defender of all time. He’s the ultimate quarterback of a defense with the instincts and IQ to single-handedly destroy opponents’ schemes.

On Tuesday, Green, the anchor of the league’s top-rated defense, dismantled the Nets offense by smothering Durant. He started on KD early but often accepted the switch when screened, leaving Durant to go to work on another Warriors player. But in the third quarter, Green refused to be deterred. He ratcheted up the intensity and hyper-focused on the Nets legend who posed the biggest threat.

Of Durant’s eight missed shots in the third quarter, Green contested five, including the first three. (Two were Gary Payton II closeouts and one a Damion Lee contest on a midrange pull-up.) For the game, Durant was 1-for-7 and a turnover with Green defending him. The one make: a lob he caught behind the defense over Green.

“I felt like I had a good groove defensively going,” Green said. “My job is to make that shot as tough as I possibly can and live with those results. I think I made K take some tough shots over me. And he missed some of them. But the reality is we’ve both seen him take those same shots and knock every one of them down. So I think I did a pretty good job tonight. I had a lot of help. He’s a helluva scorer.”

You’ve got to understand. This is two legends going at it.

In today’s era of pick-and-rolls and switching, it’s rare to see two titans of their craft throw down. It’s even rarer for the two to be friends who’ve been through the highs of NBA titles and the lows of public feuds. So it’s two elite players dueling. And they’ve got each other’s game down like classic rap lyrics.