Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reed College Cabin is still there in govey. Unsupervised shenanigans at Mazama Lodge for us for a couple years on weekends, circa 1981-2.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    The demise of the mountaineers is sad. They've been around since 1906. My parents were members in the 70s. They have some great community centers in Seattle and Tacoma. I joined 20 years ago when I moved back to the area and didn't have any friends to go climbing and hiking with. This was before it was fashionable to meet your friends on the internet. And as others have said, if you already feel accomplished in the woods it is annoying to test into their pre-requisites to do things more advanced than simple hikes. Even back then, it seemed like a dying organization that was getting older, and older, and left in the dust by the facebook/instagram crowd (but they'll never go completely away because of the million dollar real estate portfolio). I could see it being ok to do for a quick bit to make some friends if you are new to the area. I have a friend who is a mountaineer glacier guide and he is a good dude (but definitely the eagle scout type).
    This. I was an Eagle scout in an Eagle Scout/REI family and grew up around a lot of Mountaineer's types. It was a great organization for many decades and helped establish the outdoor lifestyle and expectations that many in the PNW take advantage of. Unfortunately, they remained tied to their traditions, rules and ways and couldn't modernize. Now they're facing a big challenge to modernize and bring in experienced members and mentors as the boomers age out. I think there is plenty of interest from new Seattleites to learn from the organization's courses, but I'm curious to see if the whole ship can stay afloat.

Years ago we skied Baker via the Easton and encountered two Mountaineers rope teams, sweating in full Gore, as they trudged to the summit in warm conditions. Nasty looks and consternation from their TL when we carefully stepped over their rope near a crevasse, to then arc corn down to Railroad Grade. An early reminder that peaks are way more fun on skis vs crampons (and gaiters)

Hey OP - you want to learn to sail? Come race with me Wed. evenings starting mid-April next Spring. Send a PM if that idea appeals at all.

Any recommended alternatives to the Mounties Basic Alpine Climbing class?

I'm new to Seattle and could use some glacier travel type instruction and unfortunately don't have any more experienced friends (at the moment, hopefully) to teach me, but I've got plenty of less experienced friends I could drag along if I can convince them I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tuowtraws View Post
    Any recommended alternatives to the Mounties Basic Alpine Climbing class?

I'm new to Seattle and could use some glacier travel type instruction and unfortunately don't have any more experienced friends (at the moment, hopefully) to teach me, but I've got plenty of less experienced friends I could drag along if I can convince them I know what I'm doing.
    Call Pro Guiding https://www.proguiding.com/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

There is https://washingtonalpineclub.org/

Or just hire a commercial guide for a trip to show you the ropes:

https://mountainmadness.com/trips/ice

i joined on a very discounted (or free?) trial tier to watch my friend give a lecture on her Cho Oyu summit. I think it came with a discounts on books so i bought a couple.

the lecture was cool and if you were able to take advantage of that in person that’s worth something.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    This.

Or North Cascade Mountain Guides
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by ericrayl View Post
    Hey OP - you want to learn to sail? Come race with me Wed. evenings starting mid-April next Spring. Send a PM if that idea appeals at all.
    Very interested & thanks for the invite! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Second.

The WAC is what you seek. They offer a basic course that start up in late winter/early spring. Intake starts soon and is limited and somewhat competitive (requirements being fitness, and proving that you can make the time requirements which is basically 1-2 days every weekend for ~2 months in addition to a weekly Tues or Weds night meeting for theory and knot practice) Very solid people, chill vibes, good times, good education, and as a bonus, manageable group size. Final practicum is a Baker climb.

Mountaineers...is for a certain type

Chiming in to say I'm not a WAC member but am friends with several and have stayed at their Guye cabin several times and it's pretty nice. And in a really good spot for access to Alpental.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I was reading through the Mountianeers old annuals looking for something else and came across this, fortunately times have changed...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1633338059.456029.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	387788

Name:	Image1633338078.907706.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	387789

Name:	Image1633338097.627818.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	387790
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I was reading through the Mountianeers old annuals looking for something else and came across this, fortunately times have changed...

Name:	Image1633338059.456029.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	387788

Name:	Image1633338078.907706.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	387789

Name:	Image1633338097.627818.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	387790
    Yikes. What is the new/current name?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That's gotta be the dark divide area, right?

I think the peak shown in the photo may be Sunrise Peak.
    https://listsofjohn.com/peak/50551

I’m not sure but I thought even for the early 1900’s the names were a bit much for a group like the Mountaineers
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think the peak shown in the photo may be Sunrise Peak.
    https://listsofjohn.com/peak/50551
    That makes sense. I was up in that area yesterday and that divide - if is the Dark Divide - would make sense. They are burly, big, and long. And right near Dark Meadow and Dark Peak.

Name:	craggy pk historic.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	387888

Name:	craggy pk modern.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	387889

The Mountaineers worth joining?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Name:	craggy pk historic.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	387888

Name:	craggy pk modern.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	387889
    What’s the date on the upper topo and the area it covers? Now I’m wanting to know who it renamed after. Originally I was looking up who Kendall Peak at the Pass was named after. I’m pretty certain it’s named after Benjamin (Bion) Freeman Kendall, he was in McClellans party that surveyed the area in 1853 and was Washingtons First territorial librarian, he was killed in his newspaper office in Olympia in 1863 over some beef. The search took me down some rabbit holes, reading McClellans account of the survey was pretty interesting basically they were looking for possible RR routes over the Cascades they went north up to the Chelan/Methow area before heading towards Snoqualmie Pass, they went up Lake Keechelus then turned towards Lost Lake and down into what is now the Cedar River watershed. The one thing they didn’t find is what is known as Stevens Pass which was found later during a different RR survey. Another person of interest was A.H. Sylvester who worked for the forest service starting around 1900 and was very prolific at naming places in the Cascades especially in the central part.

“Born Oct. 1827 in Bethel, Maine. Fresh out of Bowdoin College in 1852, Kendall found employment as a government clerk in the Survey Land Office in Washington, D.C. He served as an aide (along with Elwood Evans) on the 1853 Isaac Stevens survey team when the first Territorial Governor made his way to Olympia. Governor Stevens had arranged for the selection of the Territorial Library prior to his departure, and the books arrived by ship in October 1853. The Governor made it to Olympia in November, and Kendall a month later. As Louise Morrison wrote, "Governor Stevens' first message to the Legislature implied that he considered Kendall the librarian," but he wasn't officially elected to the post by the Legislature until April 17, 1854. In that election he defeated attorney Frank Clark on vote of 17-9.

On his qualifications and legacy as Librarian, Maryan Reynolds writes, "Kendall's political activity and connections were his primary qualifications for the post. Kendall immediately built a small facility at Fourth and Main Streets (now Capitol Way) to house the library. The legislators, holding a proprietary attitude toward the library, bridled at Kendall's action; they fully expected the Territorial Library to be located under the same roof as themselves ..." In his reports to the Legislature, Kendall also provided a listing of the Library's holdings, the first version of the catalog. He was also appointed as Chief Clerk of the House, February 27, 1854, and was admitted to the bar later that year. In April 1855 his short and meteoric rise found him in the office of acting U.S. District Attorney, and he was elected Prosecuting Attorney for the 2nd District in 1856. Although he eventually became "bitterly opposed" to Governor Stevens, he successfully prosecuted Leschi in his 2nd trial held in Olympia, going against defense attorney Frank Clark.

Realizing he was not making any friends in Olympia, he visited Washington D.C. in early 1861 to lobby for a new post, and was actually present when Fort Sumter was attacked. He served as a spy at the bequest of General Scott, gathering intelligence for the Union government during a swing through the Southern States. As a reward, Kendall was appointed Washington Territory Superintendent of Indian Affairs for awhile. One writer has observed that "Kendall, though an eloquent orator, able, energetic and industrious, was noted for his unyielding opinions, bitter and juvenile prejudices, high-handed contempt for the views of others and his indiscreet utterances." He was called Bezaleel Freeman Kendall by his political opponents. His editorship of the Olympia newspaper Overland Press gave him ample opportunity to expand the number of his enemies, and one them shot and killed him in his business office in January 1863. Frank Clark, who had been defeated by Kendall for the post of librarian and was also bested by him at the Leschi trial, was the defense attorney for the man charged with Bion's murder. The accused man fled, never to be seen again. Some historians have suggested it was Clark's firearm that was used as the murder weapon and the killer was merely an instrument of broad conspiracy.”

I’m not sure but I thought even for the early 1900’s the names were a bit much for a group like the Mountaineers
    They were still publishing tribalist bigotry a few decades ago, though less racist.

The Spokane Mountaineers seem proud to be unrelated, thanks to this thread that makes more sense now.

What’s the date on the upper topo and the area it covers? Now I’m wanting to know who it renamed after. Originally I was looking up who Kendall Peak at the Pass was named after. I’m pretty certain it’s named after Benjamin (Bion) Freeman Kendall, he was in McClellans party that surveyed the area in 1853 and was Washingtons First territorial librarian, he was killed in his newspaper office in Olympia in 1863 over some beef.
    This site lets you see usgs historical maps for any location you want. Looks like they don't have maps prior to 1900 around Snoqualmie pass though.
    https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/view...4773/-121.2410
    Last edited by abraham; 10-04-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    This site let's you see usgs historical maps for any location you want. Looks like they don't have any maps prior to 1900 though.
    https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/view...4773/-121.2410
    I have downloaded a few of the geo referenced historical maps and used them in the Avenza App to find some mine tunnels at the Pass there’s a fair number of them I’ve also learned how to use Google Earth with the public land survey system add on and old mineral survey maps from the BLM. It’s impressive how accurate they surveyed in the Cascades with a transit and chain. Once the maps are lined up in the right place I can get GPS coordinates the difference is usually 50 feet or less. There’s other interesting places the old maps can take you to that have been forgotten or nature has reclaimed. WA DNR has a geology portal that is another good source for geo referenced maps as well

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    They were still publishing tribalist bigotry a few decades ago, though less racist.

The Spokane Mountaineers seem proud to be unrelated, thanks to this thread that makes more sense now.
    Usually when I’m reading older stuff like that I do so with the understanding that’s what was normal in that day and age but I think I was caught a little off guard seeing it in print in the Mountianeers publications, I’ve seen other racial terms for terrain features on old maps but they were less offensive, not long ago there was a “Negro Creek” near Blewett Pass and some other names used to name things after the Chinese who lived and worked in the area even the local Indians treated them poorly back then

What’s the date on the upper topo and the area it covers? Now I’m wanting to know who it renamed after.

I'm not sure what year it was made. I grabbed it from the CalTopo "Historic, 1915-1945" map layer. The second snip is framed in the same coordinates using the CalTopo "MapBuilder Topo" layer.

They are centered at about 46.27578, -121.84525.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I'm not sure what year it was made. I grabbed it from the CalTopo "Historic, 1915-1945" map layer. The second snip is framed in the same coordinates using the CalTopo "MapBuilder Topo" layer.

They are centered at about 46.27578, -121.84525.
    I checked in on Gaia this morning, and I think that is the Dark Meadow and Dark Peak area, which would be the new name(s).