Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Mountaineers worth joining?

Anyone have experience with the mountaineers in the pnw? I'm thinking of joining to gain access to some of the lodges, maybe take some classes, maybe learn to sail?!?

Are the people cool? Are lodge reservations hard to come by? Other comments?

Thanks y'all

Don't do it!!!!

Overly officious, laden with bureaucracy and self appointed "leaders" everything requires interminable prerequisite courses to be completed.

And their love of gaiters.

Learning to sail? I'll again recommend Windworks at Shilshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yes.
    I will likely insult a variety of decent people, but in my experience, there is a sufficient number of uptight and weird people who dent the experience.

Lodges are supposed to be alcohol and drug free (but aren't). It contributes to an odd vibe, a subtle war, like being back in high school sneaking smokes and joints while Sister Mary Elephant stalks the shadows with her switch.

The lodge up at Snoqualmie used to be run by a guy that lived there with his family when he wasn't supposed to. The lodge burned down. They had a ropetow there which caused a death, so the ropetow was abandoned and property sold to Summit At Snoqualmie.

They have a lot of classes in the area where the participants can be identified by their gaiters and wool pants, smelling of granola regimentations.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Shhh.

There's a glot of Mountaineers.

And they're in their breeding gaiters.

What’s wrong with gaiters, how can you shingle without them?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Agreed with the above. I joined a couple of years ago and never used it. Everything required some badge which then required some other set of pre-requisite classes which only enrolled like once a year or had major waiting lists. It just wasn't my style. If I need to take a class I'd much rather pay a bit more and go through a commercial outfit at this point.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    What’s wrong with gaiters, how can you shingle without them?

Shingle? Is that like a schoddish?

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Agreed with the above. I joined a couple of years ago and never used it. Everything required some badge which then required some other set of pre-requisite classes which only enrolled like once a year or had major waiting lists. It just wasn't my style. If I need to take a class I'd much rather pay a bit more and go through a commercial outfit at this point.
    Now you know where the failed eagle scouts went.

Second Windworks for sailing. It’s a nonprofit through US Sailing. I just took a class from them and will be taking way more. Check out the Sailing thread.

The demise of the mountaineers is sad. They've been around since 1906. My parents were members in the 70s. They have some great community centers in Seattle and Tacoma. I joined 20 years ago when I moved back to the area and didn't have any friends to go climbing and hiking with. This was before it was fashionable to meet your friends on the internet. And as others have said, if you already feel accomplished in the woods it is annoying to test into their pre-requisites to do things more advanced than simple hikes. Even back then, it seemed like a dying organization that was getting older, and older, and left in the dust by the facebook/instagram crowd (but they'll never go completely away because of the million dollar real estate portfolio). I could see it being ok to do for a quick bit to make some friends if you are new to the area. I have a friend who is a mountaineer glacier guide and he is a good dude (but definitely the eagle scout type).

Ha thanks for the replies everyone. I think this quote confirms my worst fears

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Shhh.

There's a glot of Mountaineers.

And they're in their breeding gaiters.
    Thanks for the tip on windworks!

Do you need to be fondled to receive the required badges ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Do you need to be fondled to receive the required badges ?
    You'd have to ask the members. Their next meeting is in Mingeborough at the Slothrops house.

On the other hand… The Mountaineering Club (no relation) - the rooftop bar in U District is worth a stop if you’re in the neighborhood.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Weirdos can never seem to get their sunscreen fully rubbed in.

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    So maybe they're not failed eagle scouts?

Started reading this thread and thought, "Dang. This sounds like a particularly shitty adult Scout troop." And then...

Yep.

Bummer to hear, but not totally surprising. Seems like the old school "club" organizations have fragmented substantially in the internet age and younger folks just aren't into it.

The book publishing arm puts out good stuff. Not sure exactly how they're affiliated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yes.
    I will likely insult a variety of decent people, but in my experience, there is a sufficient number of uptight and weird people who dent the experience.

They have a lot of classes in the area where the participants can be identified by their gaiters and wool pants, smelling of granola regimentations.
    What's wrong with wool pants and gaiters? (And wool pants, wool underwear, wool socks, wool mitten liners?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack and Michael Koerner Mt Washington cropped.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	387431

The picture is 50 years old so maybe I get a pass? And for the record I'm not a member. Not a member of the Appalachian Mtn Club either (the picture was taken at Mt Washington.)

I wear wool pants as well, but I keep my gaiters hidden.

I remember the Mazamas yelling at us while we ran around Mt. Hood tripping in our underwear.

No gaiters!

Their Seattle headquarters has an outdoor climbing wall that is free to use and great for teaching friends and family things. I taught my wife to rappel and set up anchors there and taught my daughter to climb there.

Good, free, outdoor resources like that are hard to come by.

Their organized activities for adults are overly bureaucratic as mentioned by everyone else.

Their community outreach programs for youth are good and get a lot of kids who otherwise wouldn't have access to such activities involved though.

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    So true!
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What's wrong with wool pants and gaiters? (And wool pants, wool underwear, wool socks, wool mitten liners?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack and Michael Koerner Mt Washington cropped.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	387431

The picture is 50 years old so maybe I get a pass? And for the record I'm not a member. Not a member of the Appalachian Mtn Club either (the picture was taken at Mt Washington.)
    Classy self-dox.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

We joined to use the Mt Baker lodge a few times when my kids were young. The drinking thing was odd. I was discreet and no one said anything. If you really want to stay at the mountain it’s one of the few options. Stopped going because the hours were so restricted. Open at 6 on Friday, lights out at 10. Up at the crack of dawn and closed before noon on Sunday.

I wear wool pants as well, but I keep my gaiters hidden.

I remember the Mazamas yelling at us while we ran around Mt. Hood tripping in our underwear.

No gaiters!
    That was you ? I actually spent quite few nights at the Mazama Lodge in high school with friends getting yelled at by climbers to shut the fuck up as we were assing out drunk in the bunk room.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That was you ? I actually spent quite few nights at the Mazama Lodge in high school with friends getting yelled at by climbers to shut the fuck up as we were assing out drunk in the bunk room.
    Circa 1975, on the Palmer snowfield and up onto the hogsback. boxers with red hearts and black converse low tops.
    We ran into then all roped up walking up the Palmer as we came down and they yelled at how we were endangering them because they were going to have to rescue us.
    The college had (has) a cabin in Govt Camp.