Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The names Dark Meadow and Dark Peak are unchanged from the old map with the racist terms. Dark Peak is 5 miles line-of-sight east from "Kirk Rock", the new name for what was once "N-head" mountain. The creek flowing north from there was also named N-head, but now is called Yellowjacket Creek. NF-28 runs alongside it down to the Cispus river.

Interesting stuff. I hunted elk a decade or so ago in the McCoy Creek Drainage which shows up on the north portion of that map. I hiked all through the woods up and down that slope between the road and the ridge that runs from Juniper Peak -> Sunrise Peak -> Jumbo Peak -> Dark Peak. Rugged country for sure.

I was hunting with an old logger that worked falling timber in that area several decades earlier. He's in poor health but he's like an encyclopedia of knowledge about local history. I think I'll try to pay him a visit this month. I wonder if he'll know anything about the history of the names in that area.

To the OP's original question. I've never been a member of the Mountaineers and I have a similar opinion to others. It's just too bogged down with bureaucracy. With that said, I know folks who got their start in Mountaineering there and they're cool people who do cool stuff. I also have friends that have been pretty active with Meany lodge. If you have little kids, a weekend at Meany lodge during ski season is super cool. It's like a throwback to a totally different era. Totally worth doing. So, who knows, maybe you would find what you're looking for with the Mountaineers?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I was hunting with an old logger that worked falling timber in that area several decades earlier. He's in poor health but he's like an encyclopedia of knowledge about local history. I think I'll try to pay him a visit this month. I wonder if he'll know anything about the history of the names in that area.

Following up on this, I visited my friend last weekend, the old logger who's spent his whole life in that part of the state. I asked him about the old naming. He was aware of N. Head Creek being renamed Yellowjacket creek. The renaming happened before his time but he said when he was young the old timers still used the old name. He also said that N. Head was a common phrase used to refer to a large rock in the middle of the road. They type of thing that was hard to dig out with a bulldozer when building a road on a logging job.

I'm not writing any of this in an attempt to defend the term. I'm glad it's no longer acceptable, but the history is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Anyone have experience with the mountaineers in the pnw? I'm thinking of joining to gain access to some of the lodges, maybe take some classes, maybe learn to sail?!?

Are the people cool? Are lodge reservations hard to come by? Other comments?

Thanks y'all
    I've been a Mountaineers member for many years and thought I could bring another perspective. The club is huge, that brings it's own challenges and it also brings a broad spectrum of members with a membership that is somewhere around 14,000 people. With a membership that large we have a good number of absolute mountain crushers (Steve Swenson is on the Board of Directors) but we have an equal number of people at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Most of the people that I talk to that highly value their membership do so for the community that they find more so than anything else. If you already have an established group of friends that you like to get out with then you won't need that from the club. If you are suffering from the Seattle Freeze then it's a good way to meet people and find partners. The lodges are cool and having access to them is a nice perk in normal winters.

My experience with the Mountaineers is what pulled me into avalanche education which has lead me to ski/splitboard guiding. Most of my education has come from AIARE and the AMGA but it is all built on a base of field experience that has come from the Mountaineers and other providers in my area. I've also had the opportunity to be involved with a program called the Alpine Ambassadors which is Steve Swenson's personal project. The program runs multiple trips every year to give people a chance to level up their rock and ice climbing skills alongside professional guides and accomplished climbers that Steve has pulled into the program.

Overall I think the Mountaineers has benefits that outweigh the negatives. Feel free to ask any more questions here or shoot me a DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Following up on this, I visited my friend last weekend, the old logger who's spent his whole life in that part of the state. I asked him about the old naming. He was aware of N. Head Creek being renamed Yellowjacket creek. The renaming happened before his time but he said when he was young the old timers still used the old name. He also said that N. Head was a common phrase used to refer to a large rock in the middle of the road. They type of thing that was hard to dig out with a bulldozer when building a road on a logging job.

I'm not writing any of this in an attempt to defend the term. I'm glad it's no longer acceptable, but the history is fascinating.
    It’s cool you were able to get local knowledge like that
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”