Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Guys ski trips, maybe 6 of us, shared car or shuttle, slopeside condo to limit shuttling in the morning.

$400 airfare
    $100 a night lodging, maybe $75
    $100 a day skiing, advance purchase
    $100 daily food and drink, 50/50 out vs restaurants
    Maybe $100 for shared transport, vares greatly

Low seems to be $1200, high close to $1800. We eat and drink well and slopeside is expensive but worth it to not wrangle drunken fools in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You can get most places for $350 RT out of ATL. Usually stay with a friend in SLC and use his car to get places, might split time between touring and riding lifts, so call it $200 for tickets, then drinks and food. 4 days skiing works out to around $800.

Cheapest trips I’ve done we toured the entire time and I found $250 rt airfare ATL->SLC. 5 days skiing for about $550-$600.

Last year I put ten days on my Indy pass ($200 purchase price ~$20/day) and put together a good NE trip and then McCall ID for Brundage/Tamarack. I don’t have family or SO to pay for on trips and it’s usually $600-$1000 for trips and that includes splitting rental and accommodations with friends.

I think it depends (obviously) but if you are buying plane tickets, ski tickets, lodging , food both on and off the hill it's going to add up to at least $2k/person. If you can brown bag, cook at home, use ikon/epic and get a deal on lodging and flights then obviously that would make a big difference. Nowhere is cheap anymore though.

back when ski bro was still an MD we would combine ski trips to rogers pass/ kicking horse/ revy with the annual medical conference in Banff

the medica confrence always coincded with the pork seminar so Banff was full of guys in tweed jackets with elbow patches/ hush puppies and fat guys in starter jackets

Between the 51 cents per km and the 4 star Banff springs it was a pretty good way to go ... probably almost free
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Our planned trip for 4 to Whistler next year is costing approx. $2.5k for lodging, $1k for Edge passes and it'll be another $500-1k for food. So approx. $1k/person/week, but no need for flights or hire cars as we can drive up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So is $2k a reasonable average cost?
    For a week I'd say that could be low for most "destination" type places. It's pretty tough to get average lodging for under $100 per night. I'd say $150 per night for a group in a condo is more realistic. Car rental would be a bit lower than $500 assuming several people would be splitting the car.

Thanks for reminding me to start actively searching for slummy, I mean basic lodging with free cancellation policies for the winter.

<$800
    Not that I’m getting deals or bumming my way…more that i just don’t have many ski vacations…it’s too fucking expensive
    a week is unfathomable to me…that’d be amazing

I guess it's much less with an rv in Europe, but before the rv I made it work for 500- 700euros per week depending on lift price. 200 for a week pass is/was doable in some resorts. Hell, I paid 17 chf for a day Ticket in arolla im 2009 and 15 Euros for a weekday Ticket in the piemont in 2018.

And I usually got something in the 30-60 Euro range with breakfast per day.

Nowadays I only ski day by day so lift Tickets are more expensive, but rv lodging is free

My AK Trips were slightly more expensive.
    Japan and revelstoke were about 1000 to 1300euros per week.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A benefit of traveling for work all the time is I fly free and stay free just about anywhere. However my proposed trip to JH will still probably cost $2k for the week after pass (wouldn’t get a pass if not for the trip) and food.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Just wondering what people spend on their ski vacations for a week?
    $400 rt airfare?
    $500 car rental?
    $500 lodging (kind of low end, but maybe it's part of a family deal)?
    $500 food?
    + lift tickets (assuming lots of people just use thie Ikon/Epic) ?

So is $2k a reasonable average cost?
    I usually use points for airfare and car rental is usually cheaper, but won;t be this year. I think your numbers are accurate otherwise. It;s great if you go with a buddy and split car and lodging.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    our yearly bc hut trips are bout 2k per person now that very few huts want to do uncatered/unguided during peak season
    and another $500 or so to drive, eat and road lodging and a few days skiing on the way home
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Just before the Covid hit, I had a nice week long trip from the East Coast to Spokane with two day skiing stops at 49° north, silver, lost trail and Lookout Pass. Cost me about $875 altogether and I only spent the first and last nights sleeping in the car. Love that Indypass!

Name:  sigpic541_3.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  8.2 KB
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I don't really take ski vacations.
    yeah

my cousin does a ski vacation once a year christmas dinner out for 8 people usually starts at $1,500 but it's total debauchery
    then that one dinner at hongas in telluride was well over 3k it got really ugly at least it was the off season all on the customers dime so nice

my guess is ski vacations can get pricy

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Just before the Covid hit, I had a nice week long trip from the East Coast to Spokane with two day skiing stops at 49° north, silver, lost trail and Lookout Pass. Cost me about $875 altogether and I only spent the first and last nights sleeping in the car. Love that Indypass!
    All the people who say they can't afford ski trips should pay attention to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Guys ski trips, maybe 6 of us, shared car or shuttle, slopeside condo to limit shuttling in the morning.

$400 airfare
    $100 a night lodging, maybe $75
    $100 a day skiing, advance purchase
    $100 daily food and drink, 50/50 out vs restaurants
    Maybe $100 for shared transport, vares greatly

Low seems to be $1200, high close to $1800. We eat and drink well and slopeside is expensive but worth it to not wrangle drunken fools in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much how I have been doing it. Wife and daughter aren't interested in skiing much anymore so it usually guys trips. We are coming to prefer slopeside more if not too crazy expensive to eliminate vehicle rentals, which are expensive if you have 6 or more

$120-$800 p/day, depending on the scope of the trip.
    If there is a heli involved, that is a complete budget buster.

Silverton is an odd case too, where food and lodging is inexpensive, but yeah, lifts are on par with the destination places until you get in the heli.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

good for you characters who live near the goods & those that are ok dirtbagging for it too
    but fuck off for the blaming people for having budgets & additional priorities to skiing
    it's life

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    good for you characters who live near the goods & those that are ok dirtbagging for it too
    but fuck off for the blaming people for having budgets
    I'd thought this thread was all about budgets.

Once we started looking harder at what we got for our ski$ and realizing lots of destination places in N. America didn't have the value for the $, we started hitting the smaller places where not only were costs less, but we were having a much better time. Like Monarch, Wolf Creek, Lost Trail, Discovery Basin. etc.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    but fuck off for the blaming people for having budgets & additional priorities to skiing
    it's life
    One of my favorite concepts / ideals I've learned from maggots is from TAFKALS and his wife: "extreme leisure" . In short, do cool, extreme things. But treat your self. That is -- plan a trip that includes skiing 5000' couloirs AND drinking nice apres cocktails before a great dinner.

I've tried to embrace it better despite my tendency and celebration of dirtbaggery ways. Last week I spent the race weekend sleeping in the minivan before and after a trail race, but dinner afterwards was having fresh shaved truffles over boxed mac n' cheese and drinking Westvleteren 12 to celebrate.

Sometimes there are spots on hut trips available on VERY short notice you just slide in on a fully catered trip

Shopping was 2 cases of beer and a chateau cardboard,

I had 1 day to pack and 2 days to drive

at 1000 $ off buddy the guide was not making much $ on me but he was covering his expenses
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's more of a lifestyle than a ski vacation.

But on the odd occasion that I do trade in my ski lifestyle for a ski vacation and a change of scenery, I usually look for cheap airfare if it's a ski vacation that's too far to drive.

Did a trip to JHMR from Seattle about 5 years ago that I ended up booking through the JHMR website. It was middle of January, and was able to get the discounted airfare on Delta, plus lodging and 6 day lift tix for about $1,800 all in for two. No rental car. Picked up by the hotel shuttle free of charge, and then paid the few bucks per day to take the town bus to JHMR each day. Free breakfast at the hotel. Had to pay for dinners, which I would guess averaged about $40 pp/night.

On the trips to Europe, I use airline miles and it's just lodging/ski passes/F&B. Last trip to the Arlberg, we splurged for a nice ski in/out joint in Lech, which ran us about $2k for the week but including breakfast and dinners. Lift tickets were a couple hundred bucks. Train from Munich R/T was another $100 pp. Not a bad way to see the world.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Your Ski Vacation Costs

We don’t take tons of ski vacations but when we do, we’ve found international trips to be pretty cost effective for the amount of outsized fun.
    The Euro lodging tends to be on par or cheaper than in the US and usually breakfast is included (don’t forget pocket cheeses and meats so benny will be proud)
    In Hokkaido the breakfasts were insane (the best sashimis) and I think dinner was also included in many of our stays there too. I believe we were aiming for around $200/ night (but will confirm with our family trip mgr*)
    Generally the lift tickets are much cheaper than in the US too.
    So many places are set up for ski travel that you can avoid car rental (altho sometimes we do rent cars)
    We can usually find well priced flights too.

*Andrew
    skid luxury