Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Super 8 in Jackson is walking distance to both the Whole Foods and the Albertsons. You can eat 3 healthy, reasonable meals + snacks for like $20/day or less if that's your goal. You can also spend $100 on an average meal out there, so it depends how disciplined you are.

I skied 95 days driving all over the west this winter for 4+months. I plan on 2k per month for food and gas etc. Passes are paid for in the spring previous.

This coming winter I'll be at 2 or 3 places(Taos, beaver, pine creek) and Indy pass travelling . Should be able to do 2k per month. Pretty reasonable I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Not everyones version of a ski 'vacation'.
    You're not there on vacation, you're there to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    You're not there on vacation, you're there to ski.
    THIS

Holy JFC airfares are out of control! Pretty sure we are bailing on visiting and skiing with family and friends in NM this February.

Airtime tickets are way too expensive for our family of four right now. Doesn't seem to be an end in sight for the foreseeable future into the end of February.

Ugh. 1st world problems. But ugh

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I skied 95 days driving all over the west this winter for 4+months. I plan on 2k per month for food and gas etc. Passes are paid for in the spring previous.

This coming winter I'll be at 2 or 3 places(Taos, beaver, pine creek) and Indy pass travelling . Should be able to do 2k per month. Pretty reasonable I feel.
    I have no idea how you cover lodging, food, gas etc on two grand a month

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Name:  IMG_7924.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  47.0 KB

I don't pay the state of California hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Super 8 in Jackson is walking distance to both the Whole Foods and the Albertsons. You can eat 3 healthy, reasonable meals + snacks for like $20/day or less if that's your goal. You can also spend $100 on an average meal out there, so it depends how disciplined you are.
    I'm curious (Jackson local here): What 3 healthy meals are you eating for $20 from Whole Foods....or even Albertsons?

A sushi roll is $12+ and a pound of prepared salmon is $25.

Fried chicken at Albertsons is $8, and that's among the cheaper options.

I'm genuinely curious for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    I'm curious (Jackson local here): What 3 healthy meals are you eating for $20 from Whole Foods....or even Albertsons?

A sushi roll is $12+ and a pound of prepared salmon is $25.

Fried chicken at Albertsons is $8, and that's among the cheaper options.

I'm genuinely curious for myself!
    When you stay up all night, do you cook bro?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    When you stay up all night, do you cook bro?
    Pretty funny. I'm wondering how someone is cooking while at the Super 8, which was the point of pinned's post. If you've been to our WF you know that raw ingredients aren't really any cheaper — at least I don't seem to be saving any money when I cook.

I'm open to learning if there's some kind of WF hack that I don't know about.

PB & J

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Pretty funny. I'm wondering how someone is cooking while at the Super 8, which was the point of pinned's post. If you've been to our WF you know that raw ingredients aren't really any cheaper — at least I don't seem to be saving any money when I cook.

I'm open to learning if there's some kind of WF hack that I don't know about.
    Cold soaking. And it's not a morman thing.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

How very Wobegon, where all the vacations are above average.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I'm spending just around $3.5K for my daughter and I to ski three days.

Drive from the upstates to YYZ. Park and fly to YYC. Rent a car to drive to Golden and ski 2 days at KH. Stay right on the mountain. Drive over to Banff for two nights (stay in town) and ski one day at either Sunshine or LL (haven't decided). Fly back out of YYC. She flies to San Diego back to school. I fly back to YYZ. Drive back to the upstates. End of Jan. I think that's all a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I'm spending just around $3.5K for my daughter and I to ski three days.

Drive from the upstates to YYZ. Park and fly to YYC. Rent a car to drive to Golden and ski 2 days at KH. Stay right on the mountain. Drive over to Banff for two nights (stay in town) and ski one day at either Sunshine or LL (haven't decided). Fly back out of YYC. She flies to San Diego back to school. I fly back to YYZ. Drive back to the upstates. End of Jan. I think that's all a bargain.
    That is basically insane. We pay about 2000-2200 Chf for a family ski trip (of 4) of 8days.

Including a ski pass ( only one because we switch illegally at noon becausesomeone has to stay with the kids...well see how that works out still, it was somethinglike 249 chf...),7 days of lessons for my big girl, half board with dinner for two adults and two kids and gas for the car to get there and back.

It's the week starting at New years eve so ultra prime vacation time.

Granted it's a cheap family style hostel thing with showers on the hallway for 3 or 4 rooms each, but that's perfectly fine for most people here.us prices sound crazy I probably could not Afford to ski in the US with a teacher salary.

And it's in the valais in a decent ski area with a 1h drive to some other fun places which are not verbier ( well actually it's one of the best for storm skiing...although not much fun above tree line even with sun .)
    Last edited by subtle plague; 12-16-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

If you #vanlife it or sleep in your rig, that cuts out a significant cost. Toss in an affordable hotel every few days on a long trip and it's easy on $2k per month.

Man this answer has changed over the years.

2003 - JBLU flight from JFK to Denver: $350. Rental car (4wd) for a week. $300. Lodging at my buddy's couch/floor in Vail, where I had lived the prior winter: One 6 pack per night. Ski passes: Free / bartered for various beverages with friends from prior year. Total cost of a week in Vail: <$1,000.

2004 - NYC to Geneva: $500 (REALLY!). Transfer to Chamonix: $50. Super old, rickety house in Les Houches, split 10 ways: Maybe $300 for the week per person. Chamonix lift passes for the week. Maybe $200? Total cost of a trip to Yurp: About $1,000.

2008 - SFO to SLC: $200. Ridiculous 7 BR house at the Canyons DURING SUNDANCE, split 12 ways, but during a recession and before VRBO arb had been figured out: $600 per person for the week. Rental car: $300 for the week. Ski Utah card passes to ski Alta, SB, and Soli to my heart's content: Like $45 per day. Total cost: Maybe $1500 - $2000 for the week?

Have children

2021:

Flight to Big Sky: $2500 for 4 people
    Lodging - 2 BR 2 BA condo: $3000 for week
    Lift: About $500 total, plus amortize another $300 to amortize our Mountain Collective passes, which we also used at Palisades and Alta Bird that year.
    Lessons: Another $500 - $1000 or so.
    Dining (my wife doesn't want the "pasta special" every night, wtf?): Maybe $100 per day = $700?
    Rental Car - $500
    Total cost: $8,000+. Nearly 10x what it was in the past.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    That is basically insane. We pay about 2000-2000 Chf for a family ski trip (of 4) of 8days.

Including a ski pass ( only one because we switch illegally at noon becausesomeone has to stay with the kids...well see how that works out still, it was somethinglike 249 chf...),7 days of lessons for my big girl, half board with dinner for two adults and two kids and gas for the car to get there and back.

It's the week starting at New years eve so ultra prime vacation time.

Granted it's a cheap family style hostel thing with showers on the hallway for 3 or 4 rooms each, but that's perfectly fine for most people here.us prices sound crazy I probably could not Afford to ski in the US with a teacher salary.

And it's in the valais in a decent ski area with a 1h drive to some other fun places which are not verbier ( well actually it's one of the best for storm skiing...although not much fun above tree line even with sun .)
    In defense of hb, when time with the kids is limited, it justifies any cost.
    That said, part of the point of the original question for the average ski vacation is to demonstrate that Yurp is so much cheaper, bigger and better if one chooses wisely. Reconsider folks.

Rage on dirtbags, there's a time for everysnow over the mountain. I did 2 months in SLC on $600US + 300 hits of acid in 1975.

It's funny how Suisse is supposed to be the most expensive place on earth--except when it's not.

I'm going to Big Sky next month and my biggest layout is going to be for lodging. I could have gone cheaper for sure, but got a 3BR condo near the mountain for $2,500 (splitting with two other guys). I'm sure the rental car is going to be close to $1,000 when gas is figured in. Four day Ikon pass was $419. Luckily I got a round-trip flight to Bozeman for $250, so that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It's funny how Suisse is supposed to be the most expensive place on earth--except when it's not.

I'm going to Big Sky next month and my biggest layout is going to be for lodging. I could have gone cheaper for sure, but got a 3BR condo near the mountain for $2,500 (splitting with two other guys). I'm sure the rental car is going to be close to $1,000 when gas is figured in. Four day Ikon pass was $419. Luckily I got a round-trip flight to Bozeman for $250, so that helps.
    My 4runner for 4 days here, $160 all in.
    Surprisingly inexpensive for the car.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    My 4runner for 4 days here, $160 all in.
    Surprisingly inexpensive for the car.
    No shit?

We got a Mountain Collective. Which cuts down on hotels and window tickets. We'll easily pay for the passes with our trip to BC next week. We also bring a mini Keurig and hot plate with us to cook our own breakfasts, (clandestinely,) in our hotel room. We travel with our dog. So, finding dog friendly places is key. It's still not cheap. But that mountain collective is going to be used on three different vacations this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

As I've written: lodging is exceptionally cheap.
    Getting a real hotel and other stuff in a place like verbier ( right across the big valley actually ) .....I could easily triple that number to 6000-7000 chf.

We definitely checked out the cheapest options. It's not Standard Swiss. Ordinary Swiss would be 3k-4k for a family.
    Buuut: Still you can go even cheaper in the lesser known Austrian resorts or Italy. But pushing the family ski vacation below 1500 euro/chf per week without the rv is pretty hard. Even with the rv I guess we spend 1000 bucks per week I'd say...haven't done that in a while since we usually go for a few days when it's good far away and day trip from home if it's good.

This is the first time in 20 years I've preebooked a trip. The kids have to learn somehow.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Props. Poppa Plague.
    We hope there's room in the budget for a little EuroBBI2023.