Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XT or XTR noticeable differences vs SLX derailleur?

After a rock roll on Clownshoes claimed my GX shifter, I replaced it and my beat up X0 mech with an XT shifter and a SLX M7100 SGS mech keeping my X01 cassette and chain. I wanted an XT mech, but they were hard to find, and the XTR is quite pricey.

My SRAmano shifts better than any setup I've had.

I'm wondering if it is worth it in terms of performance and durability to upgrade to XT or XTR and put the SLX in my box as a backup, or just grab another SLX for a backup?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The real dope upgrade would be an xt cassette and chain, but that’s more complicated, likely necessitating a freehub body swap. But it is still what I would do.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Not much difference between SLX and XT derailleurs, the bearing in the pulleys are fancier in the XT but that's not something I'll ever notice. I don't think you could tell the difference if you ran either with an XT shifter which gives you the rapid release option.
    I have an SLX backup for when I explode my 2nd XT derailleur. Couldn't find another XT at the time and XTR is too dentisty for me.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The XT shifter and derailleur I had were hands down the least durable drivetrain components I've owned in the last decade. Multiple XT derailleurs crapped out on me for no apparent reason, and the shifter essentially seized up and required a full degrease / regrease after a year. The setup shifted really nice for about two months when it was new though.

XTR chain and cassette were holding up nicely for me. No complaints there.

I would just run it till supply issues are over
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have bikes with each. No discernable difference beyond weight in my opinion.

Thanks for the beta. Bummed to hear about the poor Shimano XT durability!!!

My SRAM trail had been shifting poorly despite replacing everything but the mech last year, and the Mech had been slappy like the "clutch" had gotten sloppy, or maybe a new spring? Impressed how zero-friction the pulley wheels were though... no friction at all at 3 years unlike the new SLX.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The real dope upgrade would be an xt cassette and chain, but that’s more complicated, likely necessitating a freehub body swap. But it is still what I would do.
    I just got a new wheelset with XD on super sick P321s and the cost to buy a microspline body is $135 (I shoulda done it at time of order when it was free). When the X01 wears out it would be about the same price to get the microspline body and an XT cassette as to buy a new X01 cassette... plus then I'd get the full HG+ benefit...

I switched an SLX onto my Enduro bike and do not believe the clutch is as strong as compared to XTR. There's a bit more chain slap.
    Otherwise, functions great.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The XT shifter and derailleur I had were hands down the least durable drivetrain components I've owned in the last decade. Multiple XT derailleurs crapped out on me for no apparent reason, and the shifter essentially seized up and required a full degrease / regrease after a year. The setup shifted really nice for about two months when it was new though.

XTR chain and cassette were holding up nicely for me. No complaints there.
    Here's one for you.... my XT derailleur snapped in half on a ride this weekend, see attached pic. I was in the second easiest gear, standing on flat ground, and started to pedal when it snapped and wrapped itself on the top side of my cassette. By the looks of it, I think it's a clear manufacturing defect. It was half a mile into a 20+ mile ride, so I had to alternate singlespeed on the climbs and chainless on the descents.

Name:  download (1).png
Views: 599
Size:  216.7 KB

At least with the 11 speed drivetrains I noticed a significant increase in reliability with the XTR derailleur vs the XTs. I know that hasn't always been the case with XT but it seems like they are in a zone of trying to be light but also trying to be cheap that doesn't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Here's one for you.... my XT derailleur snapped in half on a ride this weekend, see attached pic. I was in the second easiest gear, standing on flat ground, and started to pedal when it snapped and wrapped itself on the top side of my cassette. By the looks of it, I think it's a clear manufacturing defect. It was half a mile into a 20+ mile ride, so I had to alternate singlespeed on the climbs and chainless on the descents.

My conclusion at this point is mostly that Shimano's quality control is horrendous.

I know a bunch of good riders that have put a ton of miles on their shimano drivetrains with minimal issues. They've have 1000's of miles on shifters / derailleurs that're still shifting well. And then I know a bunch of good riders like us that have had nothing but problems. The same could be said for Shimano's brakes - half of the world thinks they're the best brakes on the market, the other half is completely baffled that anyone would purposefully put those things on their bike.

The only logical answer is that the quality of the parts coming out of the factory is a complete gamble. If you get a good one, it'll be great. If you get a bad one, it'll be terrible. And there's no way to know what you'll get ahead of time.

Dunno what to tell you. I run XT derrs. and shifters on a 2x10 drive train with Sram Cassettes and chains. Its been years since I broke anything so I guess I just jinxed myself.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I switched an SLX onto my Enduro bike and do not believe the clutch is as strong as compared to XTR. There's a bit more chain slap.
    Otherwise, functions great.
    Have you messed with the tension adjustment at all?

Here's one for you.... my XT derailleur snapped in half on a ride this weekend, see attached pic.

That’s exactly where mine broke.
    But I did suck up a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Have you messed with the tension adjustment at all?
    Yes, but it's not as easy as the higher end units.

I have been lucky, two complete xtr drivetrains that I have had on two bikes since they first came out. Absolutely flawless, each bike with more that 1500 miles of rowdy riding. I should buy a lottery ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have been lucky, two complete xtr drivetrains that I have had on two bikes since they first came out. Absolutely flawless, each bike with more that 1500 miles of rowdy riding. I should buy a lottery ticket!
    Powerball is well north of half a billion as we speak so it might not be a bad idea. :bringing:

Put 6500 miles on an 11spd XTR derailleur and shifter combo from 2014. Sold the bike this summer and is still being ridden I believe. Same mileage on 2-pot XT brakes. Call me a Shimano fan.

Not enough time on my 12spd SLX stuff, but SRAM gear on my trail bike is running great at 1500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke an XT, took out 6 spokes and ripped a inner tube stem off when i ran over a small stick at a walking pace which flips into the wheel, it was dumb luck & I'm not going to whine about it

In reality there is no way to exactly hit/ break a der the same way every single time and so one hit is gona break it and another seemingly same hit does not and when they break it will be in the most likely place where the leverage is ideal for the casting TO break and if it breaks when you were just riding along slowly how about all that other shit you did to it last week ?

it would be interesting to do destructive testing with a way to quantify how much it takes to break a der, I'm sure Shimano & Sram know

otherwise we got a lot of anecdotal evidence with a sample size of 1 so your take away is ... you broke it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-30-2021 at 11:09 AM.

It will do this if the derailleur is too close to the cassette (B-screw). Shiimano B-screws do move (back out) regularly. It's so bad that loctite won't solve it, so now I put a lock nut on it with a longer screw to make room.

I had a Shimano rear mech which did the same as yours, bc my B-screw backed out, and the jocket wheels grabbed the cassette, one pedal stroke and BANG.

I had a SRAM mech get eaten by the wheel halfway through a ride, so it can happen to any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I had a SRAM mech get eaten by the wheel halfway through a ride, so it can happen to any brand.
    I also had this happen with an Eagle GX der - totally trashed rear wheel at the end. Not even sure what happened, but a lot of damage needed to be repaired after that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what it is about modern derailleurs, but I've had way more issues with things rattling loose. B-set screws, the main mounting bolt to the hanger, limit screws, etc. I've had all of those rattle loose a fair amount with both Shimano and Sram. The early Sram Eagle stuff was the worst - they definitely upped their loctite game in 2018-ish.

Don't recall every having those sort of issues in the 8 - 10 speed era. Maybe it's because of the clutch. Maybe it's just that bikes are more capable and I'm riding faster through rough terrain and everything's getting jiggled around a lot.

the XT on my 5.5 worked perfectly for 3 years,

I did have to bleed the SLX brakes after a couple of years

I have never tried it myself but I would try plumbers tape for a B screw that loosens off OR red loctite doesnt really move once its dry

https://nsmb.com/articles/xtr-vs-deo...YriaeFuMp-64r4

A timely artical, not XTR vs XT but XTR vs Deore which should make an even bigger difference ?

sounds like the big difference is the price and the weight
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-07-2021 at 01:50 PM.