Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This is long overdue.

I have met some great personal friends I met through TGR. People who I will be friends with for the rest of my life no matter what happens to the forums. That is the real value of this place.

Another real value is the information available. Some very knowledgeable people post here. Oil leak from your 1978 Land Cruiser ? TRG has experts. Want to buy your 9 y/o son an RC race car for his birthday ? TRG has experts. Is a vaccine safe and effective against a global pandemic ? TRG has experts.

The vaccine thread turned into a shitshow. It was totally unusable. And right now, that thread is absolutely the most important thread on TGR. Go fishing for the afternoon and come back to find over 200 posts in that thread. Most were users like skidog being contrarian dicks, and then legit people arguing with them. Many of the post were from outright trolls like deebased who added virtually nothing of value to this forum. And then legit people arguing with him. And then maybe a post of value from Mofro… So I had to read through 200 posts of complete and absolute bullshit to find out if anything of value was posted. That is fucked up and I am glad the mods took charge and banned these assholes.

In summary, great job mods.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    if ya keep fish into the evening

eventually it gits dark
    oh and i aint an expert
    i just poopfish a lot

lemme know if ya got questions bout em ers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I saw this and thought of skidog, but it's not just a vaccine thing. That's just the thing he got stuck on. Well I guess that and if you weren't within 100 feet of the world trade center then 9/11 didn't impact you.
    Attachment 387460
    Attachment 387461
    holy fuck you’re an idiot. Did you even click in that link? The study was done on N=351 (351 people) Jesus Christ, that’s what your argument is for? A group that size is dumber? I thought y’all were the “scientific community” and you use that data.

thanks for showing what everyone else already knows. You can’t interpret data; you can only post screenshots.

Mods here are cute

Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    holy fuck you’re an idiot. Did you even click in that link? The study was done on N=351 (351 people) Jesus Christ, that’s what your argument is for? A group that size is dumber? I thought y’all were the “scientific community” and you use that data.

thanks for showing what everyone else already knows. You can’t interpret data; you can only post screenshots.
    You said all that stuff to yourself, right? Cause it fits like a glove.

You know zilch about statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    You said all that stuff to yourself, right? Cause it fits like a glove.

You know zilch about statistics.

its okay KkK, I don’t expect you to know much either but it’s pretty easy to read that article… which apparently you didn’t do either.

just keep on smoking that wacky tobacky, it’s done a number for you already 😂

We hoi polloi can bicker all we want, and usually do, but at best this is a Hobbesian Democracy with the Owners as Absolute Sovereign.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Mods here are cute

its okay KkK, I don’t expect you to know much either but it’s pretty easy to read that article… which apparently you didn’t do either.

just keep on smoking that wacky tobacky, it’s done a number for you already
    So what sample size would be enough? And why?

(It isnt simply sample size that dictates whether the data is good)

This place is part of a private business. A private business has wide latitude for how and with whom it does business.

That the “conservatives” who are supposedly pro business seem to be the ones who get most up in arms about banned trolls is ironic or indicative of the real intelligence of said conservatives. They dont even understand conservative positions.

I've been posting on outdoor related forums since the early 2000s. The others are currently on life support; turns-all-year.com, cascadeclimbers.com, nwhikers.net. All are vanilla and heavily moderated (the COVID thread on nwhikers was deleted two weeks into the pandemic because people couldn't handle the arguments). Comparatively, TGR is thriving and it is because it lacks formal moderation, and is self-moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    So what sample size would be enough? And why?

(It isnt simply sample size that dictates whether the data is good)

This place is part of a private business. A private business has wide latitude for how and with whom it does business.

That the “conservatives” who are supposedly pro business seem to be the ones who get most up in arms about banned trolls is ironic or indicative of the real intelligence of said conservatives. They dont even understand conservative positions.

Oh, I don’t know, maybe 10% like most statisticians agree would be a significant number to get a well diversified sample. But you’d probably know that if you knew jack shit about statistics…

Oh, I don’t know, maybe 10% like most statisticians agree would be a significant number to get a well diversified sample. But you’d probably know that if you knew jack shit about statistics…
    Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I've been posting on outdoor related forums since the early 2000s. The others are currently on life support; turns-all-year.com, cascadeclimbers.com, nwhikers.net. All are vanilla and heavily moderated (the COVID thread on nwhikers was deleted two weeks into the pandemic because people couldn't handle the arguments). Comparatively, TGR is thriving and it is because it lacks formal moderation, and is self-moderated.
    As long as there is an ignore function available and people refuse to use it and then bitch about the trolls while continuing to argue with them this will remain a problem.

Don't pick at scabs. That seems like a good rule of thumb.

OTOH when a person has more posts on a single page than everyone else combined it is a sure sign THEY have a bit of a problem.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

TGR has formal moderation, always has, it's just very lax.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Uh wut? Lmao no

Right, so it’s an inconclusive “maybe” that kinda says that particular hypothesis didn’t fall apart at least in that group…. could be useful in later meta-analyses right?

You’re the only one here assuming we think it’s the absolute final word on the topic. It’s just a small interesting piece of research that validates something many of us sensed in an unscientific social way. It could turn out to be flawed, that’s research for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Right, so it’s an inconclusive “maybe” that kinda says that particular hypothesis didn’t fall apart at least in that group…. could be useful in later meta-analyses right?

You’re the only one here assuming we think it’s the absolute final word on the topic. It’s just a small interesting piece of research that validates something many of us sensed in an unscientific social way. It could turn out to be flawed, that’s research for ya.
    He also proved that the sample size is likely larger by one.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Uh wut? Lmao no
    If not, who deletes the dick pics or Obama fellatio shots?
    Or banned iskibc et al or the loads of aliaii?
    It wasn't the common users.

It was the moderators who have been given special access to the software and generally judiciously manage the sites use.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the last round of bans, but to claim that TGR isn't moderated is pure, utter fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I started posting on TGR in 05, then went 15 years without posting much until pandemic boredom ramped up my internets time. So my view may be skewed.

All of these internet forums seem to be dying out, being replaced with facebook (turns-all-year.com has it's own facebook page). We all agree facebook is fucking awful. There is no useful discussion that ever comes from that place. I fear that in the future, facebook and facebook subsidiaries will be the only place for people to have internet dialog. It's just as big of a problem for society as the conglomeration of media.

I miss Mr. Pound Key.

Mods here are cute

Did they really ban SkiDog? Oh man, The King of Tilt is like, pretty historic around these parts, seems heavy-handed to me.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    As long as there is an ignore function available and people refuse to use it and then bitch about the trolls while continuing to argue with them this will remain a problem.

Don't pick at scabs. That seems like a good rule of thumb.
    This. Don’t feed the trolls. As my grandfather said
    “You will never win a fartin’ contest with a horse’s ass”

I said I was going to put mtngirl on ignore, but easier just to skip over. I have stopped following the COVID thread because it seems our understanding is starting to settle. I like the low moderation on the forum and other than glade masters time out have not seen much reason for banning

The mod group has a pretty long fuse.
    Usually when some account get blocked it’s well after a lot of bullshit and clear communication to knock it off.

The only counter argument is basically anything goes, which is kind of how the asshattery subforum is treated.

The trend over 18 years or so was that our most favorite posters got driven out by some of our least favorite, and at times what we were left with was just troll battles. That sucks, and there are value choices that need to be made:

1) freedom vs decorum
    2) which group do we want to lose: the experts, our irl friends, who don’t want to bother with a trolling war; or the trolls.

I think we give a huge amount of freedom to go start any thread you want in the asshattery room and battle and troll and insult there, but it’s been decided as a group that we want to at least try to have some low levels of decorum elsewhere and particularly in the vaccine thread.

For me, if we lose a nurse or researcher or physician posting in the pandemic thread because some dipshit keeps cunting it all up, that’s huge, and worth considering. We’re here, and not at 8kun, for a reason. If you really just want to fight with people nonstop, this really isn’t the best website for you, and there are so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I started posting on TGR in 05, then went 15 years without posting much until pandemic boredom ramped up my internets time. So my view may be skewed.

All of these internet forums seem to be dying out, being replaced with facebook (turns-all-year.com has it's own facebook page). We all agree facebook is fucking awful. There is no useful discussion that ever comes from that place. I fear that in the future, facebook and facebook subsidiaries will be the only place for people to have internet dialog. It's just as big of a problem for society as the conglomeration of media.
    Why are you afraid? We’d all be better off if all social media just went away and we actually had to communicate with friends, not “friends”. You know, call someone, drop an email or text to meet up and make plans. Normal human interaction. The current climate of social media dominance is unhealthy and yes, I know I’m part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Who was it that had in their signature, "if you have to take advice from the nitwits in this forum..."

Probably should be a sticky.
    In fairness, many of the nitwits here have good advice. Not all though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

FTR, Skidog was given a timeout, not a full ban.
    Beneficent Oversight Committee Member.

Virtually (ha) all social media is driven by 'most recently used' algorithms.
    So frenzied thread/topics/pages rise to the top.

fb and google leverage that by classifying the kinds of media reacted to and channeling that back to users of that class.

Unless our magnanimous digital overlords munificence drives them to change these algorithms, the frenzied threads/topic/pages will continue to be a primary focus where the attention seeking whores such as myself will fester.

An alternative is a more Democratic panacea: don't feed the trolls.