Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photo TR: Turkey

I may add some random thoughts here and there, but mostly photos as I'm no writer.

Up first was Istanbul:

Inside the Hagia Sofia:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08992.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	387084

Random Anatolian dogs roaming the streets, all very friendly and passive:

Name:	DSC09000.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	387085

As well cats, all over Turkey as a whole. They are well fed with piles of cat food on the sidewalks and bowls of milk placed out:

Name:	DSC09080.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	810.4 KB 
ID:	387086

Outside the Aya Sofia:

Name:	DSC09004.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	387087

And the Blue Mosque:

Name:	DSC09045.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	387088

Crossing the Golden Horn into Galata area:

Name:	DSC09066.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	387089

Did a sunset cruise on the Bosphorus, which is a total tourist trap but worthwhile:

Name:	DSC09092.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	387090

Name:	DSC09111.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	387091

The carpet sellers in Istanbul are aggressive and unrelenting. Any thing less than a firm no gets you followed for.....ever? My wife struggled with this initially but came to terms. They are impressive though, I'd say the average carpet seller can speak 4-5 languages well enough for small talk and selling. More on this in Cappadocia.

Random awesome tile work:

Name:	DSC09073.jpg 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	387092

We did a traditional Turkish bath. Super cool inside but no photos for obvious reasons. Neat experience.
    Not sure what this sign at the entrance says, but it must be something like: "After steaming yourself to exhaustion a 65 year old power lifter will beat you mercilessly and then scrub you with sandpaper."

Name:	IMG_1350.jpg 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	387093

On to Cappadocia. Cool area that I would compare to a smaller Moab/Goblin Valley, except that people have been living inside the rock formations for 2000 years. We stayed in a cave hotel in Goreme which was pretty cool.

Goreme open air museum:

Name:	DSC09133.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	387095

Name:	DSC09225.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	387096

Some of these churches had awesome frescoes inside:

Name:	DSC09217.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	387097

We took a private tour from the hoteliers father to see some nearby sites. In between stops they want to take you to local craftsmen who educate you on the process before giving you the hard sell. I'm sure the driver gets a cut of whatever you spend? We had him skip everything but the pottery and the rug stop, as we did have some interest in those.

Rug stop was neat, you get an education, as much as you'd like, on the process of rug making. Then they take you to a room, serve you Turkish coffee, and three or four people sling rugs at you rapid fire. At one point the rugs on the floor must've been 2 feet deep.

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	387098

Pottery shop. Again neat to see the process, including the hand painting.

Name:	DSC09172.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	387099

Love Valley:

Name:	DSC09262.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	387100

Name:	DSC09165.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	387101
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 10-01-2021 at 10:00 AM.

very cool
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Still in Cappdocia we visited the underground cities. Christians in the area built these massive underground cities that they could escape to when invaders came around. They were equipped to stay in them indefinitely with food storage and ventilation. I could never be a spelunker as just walking down the halls that connected rooms was a little much for me.

Name:	DSC09185.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	387102

Final day was a hot air balloon tour. This had been put off for the previous days due to weather. We were unsure if we'd be able to make it as we were flying out of the area at 10am from an airport an hour away. The tour operator called his brother the taxi driver who agreed to meet us and the LZ with our bags and drive us direct to the airport. It was very tight but we walked through security and onto the plane.

Name:	DSC09276.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	387103

Name:	DSC09347.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	387104

12k plus peak Mt Erciyes:

Name:	DSC09355.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	634.1 KB 
ID:	387105

Is that our taxi?:

Name:	DSC09381.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	387106

My sister-in-law's grandfather was a German colonel who was tasked to head up archeological digs in southern Turkey during WWII. I think that he was looking for the holy grail ala Raiders Of The Lost Arch. Very interesting dude.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Next up we flew to Antayla and rented a car. We had a week to make it up the coast to Izmir. This part seemed tight as there is so much to see. We picked a few things we wanted to see and crossed off a ton of stuff we wouldn't have time for.

Road side food off of the tourist trail was pretty amazing. Every meal served with a tomato salad and a huge pile of spicy arugula. This meal cost $6 usd total:

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	387107

Our first stop was a beach named Oludeniz Plaji. If you love as many cigarette butts on the beach as sand, throngs of Russian guidos and their version of the Jersey Shore and bad, thumping disco music nearly till daylight, then this town is for you. We woke up early and picked a place on the map that looked like harder access, read a few reviews and hit the road.

Ah:

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	387108

We spent two days in this little beach town. The beach by the hotel was great and uncrowded, but a drive up the coast 2-3 minutes led to nearly deserted beaches with some of the clearest water I've seen. I think we are officially old as this was more our speed.

Local beer:

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	387109

Next up Ephesus. Ancient city and some of the most complete ruins in that part of the world.

Name:	DSC09456.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	387110

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	387111

Name:	DSC09483.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	387112

After this it was drop off the car in Izmir and head home. Izmir-Istanbul-Paris-ATL-SLC was a 36 hour suffer fest of covid tests and layovers. Interesting fact, the IST airport is supposed to be the biggest in the world and it is massive. Walking from Domestic arrival to International gates takes while.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 09-28-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My sister-in-law's grandfather was a German colonel who was tasked to head up archeological digs in southern Turkey during WWII. I think that he was looking for the holy grail ala Raiders Of The Lost Arch. Very interesting dude.
    I wonder if he was working in Ephesus? That place is massive and they think they have only excavated 18% of it.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 09-28-2021 at 02:21 PM.

pro tip for bosphorus water tour: take the water bus, you can link up a few back and forths from various stops, galata being one of them. I think it costs .50c
    fav museum in istanbul is Modern Art, right on the water next to the palace. Super beauty.
    fav resto in Istanbul is "Akin Balik" in the fish market on the galata bridge.
    Russians sure do love that stretch of Coast. Every town is just horrible techno and screaming slap fights.
    Crazy that the sea use to go to the entrance of Ephesus... because its rising now heyyyyyooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    pro tip for bosphorus water tour: take the water bus, you can link up a few back and forths from various stops, galata being one of them. I think it costs .50c
    fav museum in istanbul is Modern Art, right on the water next to the palace. Super beauty.
    fav resto in Istanbul is "Akin Balik" in the fish market on the galata bridge.
    Russians sure do love that stretch of Coast. Every town is just horrible techno and screaming slap fights.
    Crazy that the sea use to go to the entrance of Ephesus... because its rising now heyyyyyooooo
    Debated asking for advice on here before we went and I probably should have.
    Modern Art near Topkapi? We missed that one. We did go to the Archeological Museum and the Muslin Art museum.
    Supposedly the port in Ephesus filled in from silt? They had a sign on site talking about plans to dig it back out and open it to the sea, allowing boats to come and visit.

^ yeah man, I think it's a silt filling up an old trench thing... I'm just causing an unnecessary internet fuss.
    Can't go wrong with any (non uber tourist) turkish restaurant and as you saw, the roadside ones are amazing and cheap. And sometimes I find it's better to go in blind on any vacation.
    Looks like an amazing trip!

killer pics! looks awesome

Damn, great TR zzz. Loved the pictures; that pottery is incredible. Did you end up taking any home?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

very cool.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Damn, great TR zzz. Loved the pictures; that pottery is incredible. Did you end up taking any home?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Yes. When he showed me how it would hold a liter of wine and I could wear it on my shoulder for easy dispensing, I was sold!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Fantastic

Nice. I went to Turkey a few years ago and really liked it. It's a huge country and I'd really like to see more of it. I bet it would be an awesome place to tour around on a moto. I hope they can steer themselves off of the current authoritarian rode they're on, but it looks unlikely.

The IST Turkish airlines lounge must be one of the wonders of the world. They have several restaurants and at least 6 bars in there, along with a movie theatre, pool table, library, and golf driving range. It's pretty nuts.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Great TR, appreciate your share

Photo TR: Turkey

Nicely done.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Nice photos. A hotel carved in rock formation would be awesome.

Wow, looks like an amazing, beautiful spot. Well documented ZZZ, thanks for posting that up and putting another place on my wish list.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I went to Turkey a few years ago and really liked it. It's a huge country and I'd really like to see more of it. I bet it would be an awesome place to tour around on a moto.
    Yup, I'm with you on that. I was contemplating Turkey and Georgia, and maybe a tour of the Balkans.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    He did most of his work in Bogazkale/Hattusa.
    Any way, thanks for the outstanding t/r

Went to turkey a few times, it and Georgia my favorite countries.

Capadocia is amazing indeed.
    In northern turkey i think there is fine good heli skiing, good stable Maritime snowpack.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

You went to turkey and didnt see gobekli tepe?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Super TR and a great walk down memory lane for me. Beautiful country . stoked for you and ur trip
    always forward but never straight