Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    If you are qualified....definitely.
    Not nearly as common as autumnal autofellation apparently.

Funny how people go from “how do I get a cool mountain job they are hard to find” to “they are easy to find” when they have one

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

Funny how people go from “how do I get a cool mountain job they are hard to find” to “they are easy to find” when they have one
    Something something choices something....

Isn't that the refrain from a few maggots here>

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

EVERY SINGLE BUSINESS EVERYWHERE is dying for help, minimum wage to damn good wage jobs.

No reason anyone with a healthy body, decent brain and decent work ethic can't be making decent money right now, at least from what I've seen out west.
    Lower paying employers are hurting the worst because their employees left for upgrades. Is it sustainable long term? Will those workers and hiring businesses succeed and keep them or will they fail and go crawling back? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

I would venture to say, that if you took a poll of the maggots that live in mountain towns that they were not raised in, a large percentage of them will most likely say something like "it is what I wanted in my life, so I packed up and made it happen." Very few people get relocated by their employers to ski towns and randomly get offered jobs in ski towns that they didn't apply for.

If you don't chose to live somewhere how do you get there? I guess if you are incarcerated somewhere? Otherwise, it is a choice. Now, is it easier for some of us then others, hell yes it is....but choices. "I can't because of my job" is an excuse. Find another job or skill or make sacrifices if it is truly what you really really want. If it were easy, the towns would be even more overcrowded.

Wife took a remote work job, I told my employer she got a new job in the mountains and we were moving, but I would like to stay on and work remotely. Sold the places in the city, packed up the kids and moved. Now both employed locally at the old 9 to 5....however, the 9 to 5 in mountain towns is not the same as a 9 to 5 in a city. Pressure is way less and flexibility is way more. Grab those boot straps!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Gotta ski on Saturdays because that's when the kids' lessons are. But don't worry I work around this by skiing somewhere reeeeallly shitty and we are usually outta there by noon when the crowds descend. Lunchtime tailgates are the shizznit.

Gotta use vacation time and $$$ to fly somewhere and make it happen for midweek goodness. Its okay though, it's the life I chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

And I guess that makes the autofellators the verse?

If living the dream is justifying yourself in the middle of the workday on a screen, have at it. Glad you’ve got that flexibility gretch

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I would venture to say, that if you took a poll of the maggots that live in mountain towns that they were not raised in, a large percentage of them will most likely say something like "it is what I wanted in my life, so I packed up and made it happen." Very few people get relocated by their employers to ski towns and randomly get offered jobs in ski towns that they didn't apply for.

If you don't chose to live somewhere how do you get there? I guess if you are incarcerated somewhere? Otherwise, it is a choice. Now, is it easier for some of us then others, hell yes it is....but choices. "I can't because of my job" is an excuse. Find another job or skill or make sacrifices if it is truly what you really really want. If it were easy, the towns would be even more overcrowded.

Wife took a remote work job, I told my employer she got a new job in the mountains and we were moving, but I would like to stay on and work remotely. Sold the places in the city, packed up the kids and moved. Now both employed locally at the old 9 to 5....however, the 9 to 5 in mountain towns is not the same as a 9 to 5 in a city. Pressure is way less and flexibility is way more. Grab those boot straps!
    I was being sarcastic and needling a few mags that keep droning on about 'choices' and whatnot.

FTR, I was a ski town mag with a 9-5 gig. It worked well, especially when I started working from home and had the ability to ski during lunch. No longer is the case since I moved with the wife for her career. I miss it terribly.

To your point, you are correct. It can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    We are all trade contractors, and are royalty up here, and have to turn away 4x the work than we can take and will likely not even call you back unless you are a friend of a friend at least because we are taking a Pow day or working billing 2x our normal rate to some tech fuckwit in Martis Camp whose wife is demanding a remodel of the $12M "cabin" they just bought before they host their Christmas party...

Or you can make pizza, pour coffee and tune skis.
    Not that I wouldn't do the same, but, you know that you are enabling an awful social strata to form in your town, right? if you're turning away work, turn their's away, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, in other words, Sunday afternoon.

It's kind of amazing that some people only ski weekends, and, specifically, Saturday. When I was stuck skiing weekends in my last job, the only one, fortunately, I ever was stuck on weekends, Killington would literally have twice as many people on the hill on Saturday than Sunday. So, therefore, you have to assume that a lot of people only experience a ski hill on Saturday. Then they eat brunch on a hangover and drive home Sunday. In my old ski shares there were five or six people like that, and they had full season passes and nice clothes and equipment.
    This is absolutely true at Chestnut, my home area. They must make 100% of their profits on Saturdays. Sunday breaks even and they lose money on weekdays. Last year we could ski Saturday till about 11:30ish then done till 3 or 4, ski a couple hours into dark usually the hotel or home depending on if we were skiing Sunday (almost always). Still worth going. Sundays were a bit more crowded last year because I think Saturdays sold out and pushed people to Sunday.

Not that I wouldn't do the same, but, you know that you are enabling an awful social strata to form in your town, right? if you're turning away work, turn their's away, please.
    They pay to well to say no, plus someone else will come along and do it. If you think contractors turning down rich people is going to prevent them from buying, building and "ruining" ski towns you know even less about ski town living than you seem, if that's even possible.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Yeah, probably right. Pissing in the wind. People suck.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Some of us live in ski towns so we can be 10 miles from the hill, but need to work 9-5 jobs to afford it.
    This times 250,000 WFH'ers in ski towns.

And if you think the lift line will be bad, wait until you try and get a table at a ski town restaurant.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The contractor that did our kitchen remodel said he started taking smaller jobs (ours was ~$75k) bc he was tired of the huge delays on the large mansion projects.
    He said it was easier to manage his crew and keep them consistently busy on a bunch of smaller projects.
    maybe it was hogwash but I got my new kitchen so i’m happy
    skid luxury

yeah, they suckered me in. Last year I got 2 resort days because of the stupid res system. The flipside is I got of sledding and BC skiing in.

FUCK VAIL
    Hello darkness my old friend

Who is this "you" you speak of when quoting me?
    Let me explain my post for you Benny:
    Humor, Sarcasm and Storytelling.

Gretch got it at least...

But Benny, do you even Tahoe? Do you know contractors here? I do, lots, and they despise working in Martis etc, but a new Denali towing a toy hauler full of toys out for a couple of weeks vacation ain't getting paid for by patching roofs on mobile homes.
    And slips for the new wake surf boat ain't cheap either....
    Oh, and general life and overhead is fucking expensive here too, even without baller toys.
    Contractors go where the work is. Some refuse to go into Martis, but there are always plenty plenty who do.

Yeah, I get it. Whatever, highest bidder. It just all kinda sucks. Everything is getting out of reach for schmucks.