Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski stop between Big Sky and Park City

The wife and I are planning a 5 day trip to MT. in March. While there, we will ski BS and BB for 3 days. I don't want to drive from Bozeman to PC without stopping for a ski day/overnight in WY. It will be during the week, so hopefully crowds will be negligible. I am thinking of either stopping in Targhee or JHMR, but not sure which. What are your thoughts for a few hrs. of weekday skiing between BS and UT?

I'm also looking for a clean, rustic, not to pricey place to stay with good food nearby for those pow day overnight trips to JHMR. I guess that I could always sleep in my truck after a long morning ride and a day of skiing, but something nice not too far (15mins) from the village would be optimal. I think that a private room at The Hostel has minimum stay requirements. I'm looking for a go-to place for one-night stays. TIA
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Pebble.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Pebble

Do it. Either The Village or Grand Foghee will be great. Pebble, aka The Rock, can also be fun.

If staying in or near Jackson, the town usually has great winter rates for hotels, which is what I typically do. Whether it's bare-bones at Motel 6 or something nicer like the 49er, it's all walkable and with a free shuttle to the Village. If you're going to stay in The Village; I'm not much help. Lodging there tends to be much more expensive. I suspect the local maggotry will be able to chime in on dirtbag deals there.

Jackson, Teton Pass, Targhee, Big Sky, Bridger is a classic lap. Hard to go wrong.

Village: The Hostel with dinners at the Alpenhof.
    After one night @ the Hostel, maybe they'll forget that your truck is parked an extra day?

(I defer to the rec of contemp JH locals)

(edit) While it's a little further West and I've never been, I drive by Pomerelle a few times a year and wonder if it's a hidden smaller gem. They get a lot of snow up there.
    Another place Djongo et al mention is Kelly Canyon, though I've never been there either.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-27-2021 at 12:46 PM.

I'd also say Pebble
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Not even sure what Pebble is, other than Pebble Creek.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Targhee. Too much time getting over the pass. Then just head to SLC by way of Idaho Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Targhee. Too much time getting over the pass. Then just head to SLC by way of Idaho Springs.
    #locdog

Maybe Teewinot is the best bet

Beaver, Powder Mountain, Pebble.

Best thing about Pebble is it's right off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Village: The Hostel with dinners at the Alpenhof.
    After one night @ the Hostel, maybe they'll forget that your truck is parked an extra day?

(I defer to the rec of contemp JH locals)

(edit) While it's a little further West and I've never been, I drive by Pomerelle a few times a year and wonder if it's a hidden smaller gem. They get a lot of snow up there.
    Another place Djongo et al mention is Kelly Canyon, though I've never been there either.
    Pomerelle is absolutely a hidden gem

I had access to a shop pass at Pomerelle during highschool - on quite a few weekends we would get snow Thursday/Friday and there would still be first tracks to be had on Saturday/Sunday.

I'm sure things have changed, but that's a quiet, awesome little hill. +1 on the Beaver recommendation too

Ski stop between Big Sky and Park City

It’s BBI-MONTANA, not BBI-Idaho.

With that in mind, I suggest Maverick Mountain, just outside Dillon MT. Straight shot down I-15 to SLC when you are done. Owned by two kids whose parents are longtime Big Sky locals.

https://skimaverick.com

Name:  Image1632779713.670852.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  26.7 KB

Across the road from Elkhorn Hot Springs. Skiing and soaking in hot springs. Montana AF.

https://elkhornhotsprings.com

Name:  Image1632779439.875568.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  29.7 KB

Info on new owners.
    https://mtstandard.com/new-owners-of...7ed2d9969.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632780188.963362.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	386936

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

That's some mind Harry. That is a good call for a day. 6 hrs from home and 2.5hrs. from Bozeman. It may even be a more direct route than Targhee or Jackson. Maverick Mountain sounds like a fun day/sleepover trip with the wife. A different side of skiing in the intermountain west, for sure.

Jackson

I did a last minute trip to Jackson in Feb last year. I found some crazy good rates on hotels. I paid an average of $85 a night for a really nice place about a block from town. Left & came back on a holiday weekend, think it was valentines, and things were a bit higher but still very reasonably priced IMHO.

Pebble Creek has Lava Hot Springs just down the road too.

+1 for Maverick Mountain. Over 2,000 feet of vertical and a nice pitch. Not sure if they're open every day so definitely check beforehand. Could be Thursday-Sunday?

Elkhorn Hot Springs is rustic, to put it mildly. It's a fun place, but don't expect luxurious accommodations. Jackson Hot Springs is not too far away and that's another option for lodging--perhaps a bit more civilized.

BITD when I was living in Deer Lodge, we used to call the Elkhorn the Funkhorn.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Beaver, Powder Mountain, Pebble.

Best thing about Pebble is it's right off the highway.
    worst thing is lift serve tops out at 8500 and a 225" snowfall average
    when it snows low and its good
    its good

but marginal to suck without base
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

maverick is awesome. it's what skiing was like 30 years ago I feel like. single chair, $25 lift ticket on day I went on a Friday.

Also really like lost trail not too far away and another +1 on Jackson Hot Springs

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    +1 for Maverick Mountain. Over 2,000 feet of vertical and a nice pitch. Not sure if they're open every day so definitely check beforehand. Could be Thursday-Sunday?

Elkhorn Hot Springs is rustic, to put it mildly. It's a fun place, but don't expect luxurious accommodations. Jackson Hot Springs is not too far away and that's another option for lodging--perhaps a bit more civilized.
    This is about my view as well. I've stayed in the lodge(dont) and cabins at elkhorn. I'm a dirtbag and you're paying a bit too much for "rustic". Hot springs are fun as long as the Tech football goons don't show up throwing ice balls at kids and breaking windows. We used to do ski and stay at the grasshopper but it's trying to be a bed and breakfast nowadays. There are also some air b&bs near base of Maverick as well.

I dig Jackson hot springs and the cabins are nicer and can get rooms with fireplace and dog friendly. New owners are nice people. Although like any hot springs in MT, they've been crowded as shit/booked out since covid. Pretty easy jaunt to lost trail or maverick depending on snow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Yellowstone Club.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    maverick is awesome. it's what skiing was like 30 years ago I feel like. single chair, $25 lift ticket on day I went on a Friday.

Also really like lost trail not too far away and another +1 on Jackson Hot Springs
    Jackson Hot springs is a quintessential Montana experience. This place http://www.harwoodsbunkhouse.com/ is just across the street and offers another lodging option. DO NOT EXCPECT high end anything but it's all part of the charm.