Foundation (Asimov, not Clarke)

Foundation drops on Apple+ today. Asimov was my main man as I delved into SF. Top three of the SF Golden Age for sure. No plans to re-read the book though; maybe after the series. CGI looks pretty good, but the narrative needs to hit the mark.

I just ordered the book as havent read it since college and yes Asimov was the man
    Top 3 is hard. Him, Clarke, Herbert, Niven, Bradbury, Heinlen al share that air

Asimov is in the top 3 sci-fi writers for sure. I read all the Foundation and Robot novels as a kid. Loved them then but it’s been so long it will hopefully not ruin the TV version for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I just ordered the book as havent read it since college and yes Asimov was the man
    Top 3 is hard. Him, Clarke, Herbert, Niven, Bradbury, Heinlen al share that air
    I think you gotta go Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein with Niven right behind but definitely behind. I know you're a big Herbert guy but me not as much. And Bradbury in kind of a different department.

No A.E van Vogt love???

In retrospect, top three is not adequate. Golden age wise, in addition to those already mentioned, we're talking Simak, Bester, Blish, Leiber, Leinster, Pohl, Sturgeon, Vance, Anderson, Dick, Silverberg, ..........

Bradbury was there, yes, but fringy. Niven I think was post-golden age

Yeah Niven's like 20 years younger than those guys. I just stuck with Woodsy's list.

Wow. First episode was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Seems like a respectable start; did I miss something or was it just a narrative time jump when Gaal said something was wrong with the space elevator and the next scene is the suicide bombers getting in position well before actually exploding?

Some weird reviews complaining about this being a weak StarWars rip-off. Do not understand.

Well I expect the nerds Will over analyze and do what they do. But for someone who knows nothing like myself, I think it’s great.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post

Some weird reviews complaining about this being a weak StarWars rip-off. Do not understand.
    Probably the craft used to get around Terminus... had some similarities to Star Wars craft imo... but that's all I can think of.

I suppose the criticism isn't so much of the narrative, but more the "scenery" so yeah ....... but still, petty and un-called for.

no Apple TV so have to scam it somehow, but thanks for the nudge to re read the books
    just finishing up the first.

Nice to have a book that fits in your back pocket when traveling !

Quote Originally Posted by topwater View Post
    Probably the craft used to get around Terminus... had some similarities to Star Wars craft imo... but that's all I can think of.
    some lesser read folks think Lucas invented Hyperspace...

Not sure I want to see this, just saw a guy say how can they make such a tight concise book into this bloated mess which is a pet peeve of mine ( see hatred for Hobbit trilogy)

Almost always best to pretend book and movie are not related; helps to have read it over 50 years ago. It may still be a bloated mess, but none of the stink should be allowed to stick to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    some lesser read folks think Lucas invented Hyperspace...

Not sure I want to see this, just saw a guy say how can they make such a tight concise book into this bloated mess which is a pet peeve of mine ( see hatred for Hobbit trilogy)
    You’re doing it wrong.

Watch the show first, then read the book.

Pretty long wait to read one of the all-time best SF novels.
    Relatively easy if you were born in the 80s or later because of that distracting intwerwebz.

Well ..... I'm disappoint.
    Doesn't bother me about not sticking exactly, or even remotely, to the book, it just has to be a good product. I'm hard pressed to say that there's anything that strikes me as well enough done that I could over look the glaring faults and recommend it.
    4 episodes left: seems almost impossible to recover.

Name:  Asimov.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  61.2 KB

Yeah, I'm on the same page. Not too good... Nowhere near as good as expanse. The new Dune is way better as well.

Just reread the original trilogy. Way better than the hohum show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.