Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do we have a resident podiatrist?

Every time I land on my left foot when walking, I get a searing pain that radiates from the tip of my second toe into my forefoot. I noticed it yesterday afternoon and it has gotten progressively worse, going from uncomfortable to actually painful. The toe itself looks fine. No ingrown toenail or injury that is immediately apparent to me. Anyone have any idea what might be up?
    swing your fucking sword.

I always knew you were a 50+ year old male
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Every time I land on my left foot when walking, I get a searing pain that radiates from the tip of my second toe into my forefoot. I noticed it yesterday afternoon and it has gotten progressively worse, going from uncomfortable to actually painful. The toe itself looks fine. No ingrown toenail or injury that is immediately apparent to me. Anyone have any idea what might be up?
    Is the toe itself numb or tingly or feels "fat"?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is the toe itself numb or tingly or feels "fat"?
    No, nothing like that. Just a sharp pain when I put pressure on it.

Not sure about tip of toe. But stabbing forefoot pain sounds like neuroma.
    The tip of my neuroma toe is actually numb.

I started a thread up in here. It has some decent info.
    . . .

Certainly could be a neuroma. More often they involve the 3rd or 4 th toes and often with some numbness.
    Is the 2nd metatarsal head--the ball at the base of the second toe--unusually prominent compared to the others?
    Start by staying off of it. (At college, right, good luck.) A rigid sole postop shoe may help by keeping the foot from bending.
    https://www.cvs.com/shop/medline-sem...prodid-2410003
    If the problem persists see a real doctor. If you prefer to self treat look up plantar neuroma (Morton's neuroma) and metatarsal pad (met pad), but based on what you've said so far your problem doesn't sound classic for a neuroma.

How to give yourself a heavy duty foot massage.
    Imagine a line between each toe, back to the heel. So 4 on each foot.
    Get a golf ball and stand on it and slowly roll from the toes back to the heel along a line.
    I usually start on the pinky toe side and after I make it back to the heel once, switch feet.
    There will be spots that are excruciating and you can barely put any weight on but persist anyway.
    Do it a few days a week to start, can be a bit much to do every day at the start.
    If you've seen no improvement in a couple weeks then you'll know it's not a muscular/tissue problem.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Check for a rock in your shoe. That’s the cause of 98% of all foot pain. Removing the rock usually results in instant relief.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Certainly could be a neuroma. More often they involve the 3rd or 4 th toes and often with some numbness.
    Is the 2nd metatarsal head--the ball at the base of the second toe--unusually prominent compared to the others?
    Start by staying off of it. (At college, right, good luck.) A rigid sole postop shoe may help by keeping the foot from bending.
    https://www.cvs.com/shop/medline-sem...prodid-2410003
    If the problem persists see a real doctor. If you prefer to self treat look up plantar neuroma (Morton's neuroma) and metatarsal pad (met pad), but based on what you've said so far your problem doesn't sound classic for a neuroma.
    Thanks, OG. Based on my Google MD, I don’t think it is a neuroma. I’m walking now and it feels worse than it did two hours ago. I’m gonna try to get an appointment with a podiatrist for tomorrow. Since I’ve gotta walk at least a few miles a day, I’m not too keen on the idea of waiting it out and seeing what happens.

Thanks, OG. Based on my Google MD, I don’t think it is a neuroma. I’m walking now and it feels worse than it did two hours ago. I’m gonna try to get an appointment with a podiatrist for tomorrow. Since I’ve gotta walk at least a few miles a day, I’m not too keen on the idea of waiting it out and seeing what happens.

This may sound stupid but any chance you stepped on something? Has anyone taken a very close look at the bottom of your foot. Because of all the callus you can puncture the sole of the foot without bleeding and the entry wound can be hard to see and can close over in a day. Sometimes an xray will show the foreign body, sometimes it won't.

Getting sick or injured at college sucks. No one to take care of you, lots of walking as you say.

If you can't get an appointment right away you might give the postop shoe a try while you wait.

Now I'm remembering my oral board exams for surgery--one examiner presented me a case of foot pain. Nothing abnormal on examination, on multiple tests and xrays. I never did figure out what the problem was but I passed anyways. Years later I ran into the examiner at a meeting and asked him about it but he didn't remember the case or know the answer. So please report back what the podiatrist says--40 years later maybe I'll finally bind out what the mystery foot pain was caused by.

This may sound stupid but any chance you stepped on something? Has anyone taken a very close look at the bottom of your foot. Because of all the callus you can puncture the sole of the foot without bleeding and the entry wound can be hard to see and can close over in a day. Sometimes an xray will show the foreign body, sometimes it won't.

Getting sick or injured at college sucks. No one to take care of you, lots of walking as you say.

If you can't get an appointment right away you might give the postop shoe a try while you wait.

Now I'm remembering my oral board exams for surgery--one examiner presented me a case of foot pain. Nothing abnormal on examination, on multiple tests and xrays. I never did figure out what the problem was but I passed anyways. Years later I ran into the examiner at a meeting and asked him about it but he didn't remember the case or know the answer. So please report back what the podiatrist says--40 years later maybe I'll finally bind out what the mystery foot pain was caused by.
    I don’t really have any pain in the pad of the toe. I feels more like the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Check for a rock in your shoe. That’s the cause of 98% of all foot pain. Removing the rock usually results in instant relief.

Name:  81D5A77F-F969-434C-9C9A-EE4F0156BDA5.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  56.6 KB

I don’t really have any pain in the pad of the toe. I feels more like the top.

I wasn't think pad so much as the ball of the foot. But if the pain is on top of the foot, think bursitis or tendonitis. Might not show any redness or swelling. If that is the case the rigid sole shoe should help a lot, along with ice and anti-inflammatories. You been walking around in flip-flops, long runs, etc?

this happened to me when i was stationed in sicily. walking across my barracks room, i had a sewing jammed into my foot under the ball behind the first and second toes. i had no idea the needle was on the floor, i felt a quick jab as it it went in then nothing. there was a small red dot where it entered. didn't think much of it and went out drinking. the next morning my foot was pretty sore, so i went to sick call where i was promptly accused of malingering. by far the most common diagnosis of this particular medical facility.

this went on for two more days as my foot got progressively more tender, red and swollen. on the fourth day, just to shut me up and prove the validity of their accusations of malingering, they finally agreed to x-ray my foot. low an behold, a one inch long sewing needle was discovered. so, reluctantly, they admitted me. which, at this tiny facility, means they take away your clothes, give you one of those open from the back gown and assign you a rack to lie on until the figure out what to do with you.

they had no podiatrist on staff, and i guess our regular combat surgeon was either drunk or golfing... probably both. but there was a medivac flight leaving in 20 minutes so they stuck me on that. in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. they were sending me up to the head podiatrist dude in wiesbaden germany. of course, the medivac flight they stuck me on actually went to athens greece, where we landed during the first snowfall they had seen in years. military don't use no fancy dan jetways. so there i was, hobbling across the runway, in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. my ass hanging out and freezing in the fucking wind.

the enlisted dudes in athens figured out that i was supposed to be in germany and had a good ol' time laughing at how stupid medical officers were. had to wait 12 hours for a flight that was heading to wiesbaden. in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches.

finally get to that podiatrist dude and he operates on me in his office, with a local, and used one of those buggs bunny type flouroscopes. it was pretty cool to watch, but it hurt like hell. that local did not help. maybe because i was watching, but i felt every bit of it. needle had gotten up behind the tendon, so the was lots of yanking and tugging to get it out of the way. apparently i was making to much noise cause the pediatric nurse came in to tell me to shut up cause i was scaring all the children on the pediatric ward.

and when that was over, i was stuck in germany convalescing for a week, in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. after a few days, someone from the navy relief heard about my situation brought me a set of civies to wear and spotted me 40 buck so i could catch a movie and get something to eat besides terrible hospital food. when i left, the hospital tried to bill me $127 for the terrible hospital food i was served. apparently, because they only saw me in that one set of civies, they assumed i actually was a civilian and billed me as such, and the resulting battle over the bill made me miss that days flight back to sicily.

long story short, mystery foot pain is caused by sewing needles.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    this happened to me when i was stationed in sicily. walking across my barracks room, i had a sewing jammed into my foot under the ball behind the first and second toes. i had no idea the needle was on the floor, i felt a quick jab as it it went in then nothing. there was a small red dot where it entered. didn't think much of it and went out drinking. the next morning my foot was pretty sore, so i went to sick call where i was promptly accused of malingering. by far the most common diagnosis of this particular medical facility.

this went on for two more days as my foot got progressively more tender, red and swollen. on the fourth day, just to shut me up and prove the validity of their accusations of malingering, they finally agreed to x-ray my foot. low an behold, a one inch long sewing needle was discovered. so, reluctantly, they admitted me. which, at this tiny facility, means they take away your clothes, give you one of those open from the back gown and assign you a rack to lie on until the figure out what to do with you.

they had no podiatrist on staff, and i guess our regular combat surgeon was either drunk or golfing... probably both. but there was a medivac flight leaving in 20 minutes so they stuck me on that. in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. they were sending me up to the head podiatrist dude in wiesbaden germany. of course, the medivac flight they stuck me on actually went to athens greece, where we landed during the first snowfall they had seen in years. military don't use no fancy dan jetways. so there i was, hobbling across the runway, in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. my ass hanging out and freezing in the fucking wind.

the enlisted dudes in athens figured out that i was supposed to be in germany and had a good ol' time laughing at how stupid medical officers were. had to wait 12 hours for a flight that was heading to wiesbaden. in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches.

finally get to that podiatrist dude and he operates on me in his office, with a local, and used one of those buggs bunny type flouroscopes. it was pretty cool to watch, but it hurt like hell. that local did not help. maybe because i was watching, but i felt every bit of it. needle had gotten up behind the tendon, so the was lots of yanking and tugging to get it out of the way. apparently i was making to much noise cause the pediatric nurse came in to tell me to shut up cause i was scaring all the children on the pediatric ward.

and when that was over, i was stuck in germany convalescing for a week, in that fucking hospital gown, with one shoe, on crutches. after a few days, someone from the navy relief heard about my situation brought me a set of civies to wear and spotted me 40 buck so i could catch a movie and get something to eat besides terrible hospital food. when i left, the hospital tried to bill me $127 for the terrible hospital food i was served. apparently, because they only saw me in that one set of civies, they assumed i actually was a civilian and billed me as such, and the resulting battle over the bill made me miss that days flight back to sicily.

long story short, mystery foot pain is caused by sewing needles.
    The long story is better.
    Local doesn't work on the sole of the foot, it hurts more to put it in than whatever cutting and sewing does. You can block the nerves at the ankle but that's probably only for officers. You were lucky the guy got the needle out. Locating foreign bodies, even those that show up on xray, is notoriously difficult, especially in the foot.

In my recent experience hospitals are a lot better about giving people gowns that don't let their asses hang out, which is a shame really--keeps people from being able to express how they feel about being in the hospital. I'd be walking around my hospital room with a nurse chasing after me keeping the back of my gown closed.

If it's pain on the top of your foot, could likely be your shoe putting pressure there. When I complained of foot pain my ortho surgeon said, "Operate on the shoe first." And he was right.

I've seen some ortho surgeons that I wouldn't let operate on a shoe. Most I've known are pretty good though.

Do we have a resident podiatrist?

Dude you have the Gout.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=127643

Or maybe Morton’s Neuroma.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=264760

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Just because he's on a board with old fucks doesn't indicate he has old man disease like gout. Next time you decide to destroy your gamer roomie's box with your foot put on some ski boots first. In the mean time try a different pair of shoes for a few days with ibuprofen , maybe mix in some ice/heat if you have a chance. You probably strained or bruised it being on your feet.

Heh. Maybe a year ago I thought the stump from my MN resection was growing because I'd occasionally get a sharp pain in that location, seemingly at random. This went on for weeks, IIRC. Finally I decided to actually look at the bottom of my foot and there was small red area right in that spot. Broke out the tweezers and found a small sliver of brown glass just a few mm long. Just large enough to get through the callus, but not large enough to hit a nerve ending consistently. Been fine since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Heh. Maybe a year ago I thought the stump from my MN resection was growing because I'd occasionally get a sharp pain in that location, seemingly at random. This went on for weeks, IIRC. Finally I decided to actually look at the bottom of my foot and there was small red area right in that spot. Broke out the tweezers and found a small sliver of brown glass just a few mm long. Just large enough to get through the callus, but not large enough to hit a nerve ending consistently. Been fine since.
    Self surgery on the sole of the foot requires great flexibility and great intestinal fortitude. Well done.

i took my staples out of my leg cuz when the pro's to do it they use these 3 prong pliers which still hurt as the staple ends drag thru the flesh so I cut the staples down the middle with my side cutters and pick out the ends with a roach clip ... no pain

I remember a podiatrist saying you don't really want to operate on a foot unless you have to
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you take your time and take care removing staples shouldn't hurt--I had a bunch removed from my chest, no pain. But if you get sloppy and bend the staple the wrong way it hurts. If it's been in long enough for the skin to get inflamed it can hurt--leg staples usually do stay in longer.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I remember a podiatrist saying you don't really want to operate on a foot unless you have to
    I always tell my mtb /podiatrist friend all the operations he does are amputations

SUF did you get a diagnosis? I'll guess that Harry called it right on the money, sounds like the gout. I got a couple buds who have had it, and it fucked up both their feet big time.