Thread: Kids outerwear

Kids outerwear

My kids are 10 and 7 and pretty soft when it comes to the cold, growing up on the westcoast they just don’t see cold temps.

I’ve bought clothes from MEC for them and it always sucks, isn’t cheap, soaks through and they complain.

Are there any good, reasonably priced kids gloves, coats and pants?

My 9 y/o boy is hard on hear and gets cold easy we have had good luck with Orage.
    6 y/o girl likes Roxy, but isn’t nearly as hard on things, and is never cold.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    My 9 y/o boy is hard on hear and gets cold easy we have had good luck with Orage.
    6 y/o girl likes Roxy, but isn’t nearly as hard on things, and is never cold.
    Thread hijack: I have a nice almost-new orage kit for size 10, if you're interested. My kid growth-spurted his way out of the setup after half a season.

OP: we've had good luck with patagucci and burton - both can be found on sale off-season pretty easily and hold value well for resale when you're done.

Check out 686. Most of their kids stuff is insulated and I’ve had zero issues with durability.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    for the budget minded crowd, we've been happy buying whatever Costco has available for both jackets and bibs. They grow out of sizes so fast, this option is hard to beat in my opinion. Nothing special but decent insulation and after a DWR spray treatment no complaints from the kiddos in the PNW. Just bump the layers up if you are dealing with colder climates.

Thanks for the tips!
    MEC branded stuff just seems to complete shit quality these days I’ll check the others. Going to try to find kids goretex mitts as wet
    cold hands seems to be the largest complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also looking for kids mitten recommendations. Better to go for fancy with real gore tex or multiple pairs of cheaper ones?

We use the multiple pairs strategy cuz kids ski gloves are generally not built to the same kind of specs as adults. Fortunately they're cheap and lightweight so it's easy to rotate pairs. Also, it's nice to have some gloves and some mitts depending on what we're doing.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Also looking for kids mitten recommendations. Better to go for fancy with real gore tex or multiple pairs of cheaper ones?
    We just went fancy and got hestras because the full zip mittens are magic for getting on. Also have some other random discount gore-tex ones which are fine, but major difference in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    We just went fancy and got hestras because the full zip mittens are magic for getting on. Also have some other random discount gore-tex ones which are fine, but major difference in comfort.
    just get Hestras

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    just get Hestras
    Where is the cheapest source for a big 5yo?

We have been happy with Orage and Burton. The Burton kids bibs have been bomber for us. You can usually find them at around $100 or so Canadian, they are worth it. We get two kids to a pair of pants, so give or take 3 seasons.