Washer Dryer Combo (in one)

2 bedroom, 1 bath house. Long story short my washer and dryer aren't located near an exterior wall so venting the dryer will be a challenge. I could go up and route through the attic, which is doable but if I don't have to I'm sure that'd save me some headache. Recently I learned about washer dryer combos, so it's all the same unit. The kicker that made me interested in them is that they don't need a dryer vent because it vents through the drain. I've done some reading and it seems like there are some downsides to the combo though:

-takes a long time to dry
    -can't have a load in the washer and another load in the dryer
    -less reliable

Takes a long time to dry - The reviews I was reading were based on units with 110V, but they do make ones with 240V which I assume would fix this problem, not a big issue even if it doesn't (2 bed house)
    Can't have a load in the washer and another load in the dryer - this is for a 2 bedroom house so I'm not worried about being about to do multiple loads
    Less reliable - this is the one that really has me hung up. Seems like they are more likely to have maintenance issues. Eventually I want to turn this place into a rental and I want to reduce maintenance issues as much as I can.

Have people bought/used washer dryer combos? Thoughts? Any specific thoughts on reliability?

I gota washer/ dryer combo and its an older 220 V unit, probabaly at least 20 years old at this point and I never had any trouble with it, they are just stacked to save space, IMO 20-30 yr old appliances are gona be more reliable & fixable

Is 115V really gona make enough heat to dry clothes ?

I think the vent down the drain is for apartment units that have issues with running a vent ?

I think you need 220 volts and a real vent, I do my own appliance repair, in any case even new appliances break and people just buy new ones, if the units in my duplex packed it in I would probably just buy more off of the local FB market place
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I gota washer/ dryer combo and its an older 220 V unit, probabaly at least 20 years old at this point and I never had any trouble with it, they are just stacked to save space, IMO 20-30 yr old appliances are gona be more reliable & fixable

Is 115V really gona make enough heat to dry clothes ?

I think the vent down the drain is for apartment units that have issues with running a vent ?

I think you need 220 volts and a real vent, I do my own appliance repair, in any case even new appliances break and people just buy new ones, if the units in my duplex packed it in I would probably just buy more off of the local FB market place
    It sounds like what you have isn't a combo, its just stackable. A combo is 1 door. You put dirty clothes in and it does the washing and drying all in the same unit.

Yeah I don't think 115V is enough to dry clothes either. I think that's why they get such bad dryer reviews but 240V should solve that.

Yep, I think you're right. Which is the same issue I have.

Yeah, FB marketplace is a good call

Looks like they also make a ventless dryer that uses a heatpump. Looks like this is the common type of dryer in Europe and some countries even outlaw vented dryers.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    It sounds like what you have isn't a combo, its just stackable. A combo is 1 door. You put dirty clothes in and it does the washing and drying all in the same unit.

Yeah I don't think 115V is enough to dry clothes either. I think that's why they get such bad dryer reviews but 240V should solve that.

Yep, I think you're right. Which is the same issue I have.

Yeah, FB marketplace is a good call
    I didnt realize such ^^ a beast existed,

mine is just an older more compact all-in-one that can't be seperated, so it is an all-in-one with 2 doors and thats what I thot of, its a top load washer/ front load dryer so the door does not go completely vertical, finding one of these used might be a good and very cheap way to go ?

I would rather a top load washer over a front load, the front loads start to stink if the door area isn't kept clean, somehow cleaning a washing machine seems rather oxymoranish?

I helped instal a stacked unit last spring, it was a bit older so tracking down the stacking kit was necessary and that was not easy in the current supply situ

mine is just an older more compact all-in-one that can't be seperated, so it is an all-in-one with 2 doors and thats what I thot of, its a top load washer/ front load dryer so the door does not go completely vertical, finding one of these used might be a good and very cheap way to go ?

I would rather a top load washer over a front load, the front loads start to stink if the door area isn't kept clean, somehow cleaning a washing machine seems rather oxymoranish?

I helped instal a stacked unit last spring, it was a bit older so tracking down the stacking kit was necessary and that was not easy in the current supply situ
    All you need to do is put a splash of white vinegar in the front loader drum when done with washing. It prevents the stink. 100% works, easy and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

you can buy a cleaning product for that stink also

Ah i see. I know what you're talking about but my issue is the dryer venting because the washer/dryer is 20' from an exterior wall so I want to go ventless if possible. Is yours ventless?

you can buy a cleaning product for that stink also
    It doesn’t work. Believe me, splash of vinegar. I also leave the soap dispenser drawer open an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    It doesn’t work. Believe me, splash of vinegar. I also leave the soap dispenser drawer open an inch.

Do you do the splash of vinegar after every load? I've always cracked the door as well

Ah i see. I know what you're talking about but my issue is the dryer venting because the washer/dryer is 20' from an exterior wall so I want to go ventless if possible. Is yours ventless?
    no its got a vent either going out horizontaly between joists of the second floor or up and out the roof I am not sure which cuz I didnt do the conversion to rental

the all-in-one unit is in the former split level stairway which was built in to hold the laundry unit when the place was turned into a rental cuz that is all the space there was and the unit is 20+ years old

Ironicaly the tennant gets the full size heavy duty units and laundry sink down stairs in the suite, it ain't perfect but the suite has been $$$$$$ money

IME one thing that happens with a lot of venting from 2 suites to be aware of is ice buildup on the eves trough which i mitigated with heat trace, otherwise it all works pretty good
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-23-2021 at 12:06 PM.

Do you do the splash of vinegar after every load? I've always cracked the door as well
    Just when your done with laundry and the machine will sit unused.

Usually I’ll do 3 or 4 loads consecutively, then my machine sits unused for 3or 4 days.

120v works okayish. You can just run the fan longer. I prefer to use less heat for an extended time. Better for the clothes and probably more efficient.

Washer Dryer Combo (in one)

If you want the best quality and no thrills, Speed Queen is the best of the best and they are actually made in Merica. I’ve had a few sets of really high end front loaders and after switching to Speed Queen I’ll never go back. I also wash way more technical apparel then anyone I know for all of the catalog shoots I do and a good quality top loader does a better job.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    ...The kicker that made me interested in them is that they don't need a dryer vent because it vents through the drain. I've done some reading and it seems like there are some downsides to the combo though:

-takes a long time to dry
    -can't have a load in the washer and another load in the dryer
    -less reliable
    Have people bought/used washer dryer combos? Thoughts? Any specific thoughts on reliability?
    They are named condensing dryers and you don't need a combo unit to get this feature. The condensate goes down a drain (air gap drain) if you have one or into an on-board storage container if not. The warm exhaust air is blown into the living space. That's a positive thing during heating season, and negative thing during cooling season it makes your cooling and de-humidification work more.

For long term rental purposes you want equipment with as little routine maintenance as possible, 'cause if the renter doesn't do the routine maintenance then the lifespan of your equipment is significantly reduced.

If I had a rental situation like you describe the first thing I'd install is a timed valve where the washing machine hoses hook up to the copper plumbing, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gakKvuSpOdI. $150 spend eliminates the possibility of $thousands in damage from burst washing machine hoses.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    If you want the best quality and no thrills, Speed Queen is the best of the best and they are actually made in Merica. .
    this is supoesd to be a plus ?

I think that ^^ went out with the beachboys singing "be true to your school"

this is supoesd to be a plus ?

I think that ^^ went out with the beachboys singing "be true to your school"
    YES. I've had the panels off on my previous front loaders enough to fix them to know how they are built. When I purchased the Speed Queens I made the dealer pull the panels on his floor models, so I could see if he was full of shit or not. (Yes, I am that asshole). Just looking at the parts used its very obvious they are built like a commercial unit and not the cheap, slap them together as quickly as possible and mark up the shit out of them front loaders.

At the end of the day, they are quieter, run smoother, and most importantly, everything comes out cleaner. Not to mention the factory warranty is 7 years, VS 1 on any of the front loaders.