Fuck dude...
    Glad you're still topside

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Umm... it's lawyering dentists, actually
    I always say L Hutz esq is a skier with a lawyering problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    With a dental practice as a side hustle?

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Can’t really argue that point- well I could but no one is paying me so I won’t.

I got a new set of 120 chetlers on the way. Had a blast trying them out last year. Can’t wait to have them in the rotation. Probably be my main sled-ski ski.

Have an old pair of flatypus’ that are 140 under foot I like to take out every once in a while - mostly for the comments in the lift lines- but they are great fun to goof around on.

The “no one rides 110+ skis anymore” sounds a lot more like “no one rides 110+ as their one and only ski anymore” to me.

Imagine having only one pair of skis in your quiver? What a nightmare scenario.
    Last edited by LHutz Esq; 09-29-2021 at 02:07 PM.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I had a back up pair in plastic but I gave em to thefortress for saving my life
    Good trade. Thanks for being alive.

A solid majority of people I've sold a pure pow ski to since skis got stupid fat is still skiing on the same pair, two or three days a year. It's not like they're getting destroyed like your DD (unless they are your DD). The market is all but saturated, it's pretty simple why shops aren't pushing as many uber-fats anymore.

And what XavierD said: Heaven forfend people have to learn how to ski instead of picking up another crutch to accommodate terrible technique. Present company excluded, of course.

lots of uber fats for sale used cuz they only get used 2 or 3 times a year or maybe not for a couple of years so buddy the ski bum needs the money & kicks them out pretty cheap

IME the lotus 120 is the exception, it is very usable lots of the time and I will drag it out any time there is a bit of new snow
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-30-2021 at 11:00 AM.

buddy the ski bum kicks them out
    Nah, buddy the bum buys them cheap from chad the dad.

well the point would be somebody decides uber fats don't get used enough

knowing what i know now I wouldn't bother buying a 135mm under foot ski

altho even buying it new I did get it real cheap

https://www.wildsnow.com/29870/backc...go/#more-29870

a timely artical on supply in 21-22
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-30-2021 at 10:59 AM.

For the 2018-19 season 110+ accounted for 3% of ski sales nationally. This article has a breakdown by 10mm width segments and by region. The shop owner who wrote the the article is in Bellingham and only 6% of his sales were 110+.

https://www.mountbakerexperience.com...ry-essentials/

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    For the 2018-19 season 110+ accounted for 3% of ski sales nationally. This article has a breakdown by 10mm width segments and by region. The shop owner who wrote the the article is in Bellingham and only 6% of his sales were 110+.

https://www.mountbakerexperience.com...ry-essentials/
    Good to know. Seems most of the 3% contributed in defense of their fatties above
    Reality is that they’re a dying breed and manufacturers will be hip to the change when sales don’t pull through. DPS hasn’t made their famous L138 in years- outside of one Dreamtime summer limited run.
    As previously mentioned 102-112ish skis have improved immensely.

And of course the shops that do not carry skis >110 will have 0 sales in skis that size.

We went three years(?) without any updates in >110 skis from the major manufacturers. This year we have two, I think. Salomon @112, and Head @ 111. I no longer have good access to NA sales numbers for many brands, but my guess is they really aren’t seeing a reason to put resources there.

Those numbers referenced above likely don’t include the small number of skis sold direct by Moment/4FRNT/ON3P who likely account for a more sizable chunk of the wide skis sold given their smaller market numbers.

One could also ask other questions in the weeds on those sales #’s, like it that sales through the point when markdowns start, through the entire season, etc.? What’s the % of sales not being reported, ie retailers that are not sharing their data? Etc

Only daily drivers wear out.

Unicorn super wide skis last decades.

Maff is hard.
    . . .

My daily drivers are 110+ and don't feel worn out yet.

There also was a period where pow skis were legitimately getting better every season. I don't think it's all figured out, but the changes seem to mostly be refinements now. And skinnier skis have gotten better in powder. Eventually I'll get on those mfrees for example.

I think it's pretty obvious that the death of the wide ski was brought about by a singular revolution in ski design. A ski that so competently excelled in a wide range of conditions that it rendered any powder specific ski completely unnecessary. A ski that trenched groomers with such aplomb that it eviscerated any need for a dedicated carving ski. A ski that decimated the entire mountain with such grace and agility that dictionaries were revised to remove the word "quiver."

That singular revolution was, of course, the Salomon BBR.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That singular revolution was, of course, the Salomon BBR.
    I think you mean the Apache Recon.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I have two skis under 110. One touring one frontside and both are black crows. Protest, redeemer, Kusala, Lhasa fat, billy goat. January to April the sub 110 is put away. But they do serve a purpose in November and May

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

1st: glad you made it out SVS! props to your friends (and you) on the rescue.
    2nd: I have like 5 different skis 110 or wider, and two of those are 125. Pow skis are dead, long live pow skis.

Now I'm wondering about a +10 ProTest

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Now I'm wondering about a +10 ProTest
    Have you tried regular protest? I never had float issues in 2-4 feet. But I have wootest so why not.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Have you tried regular protest? I never had float issues in 2-4 feet. But I have wootest so why not.

Yeah, can't say that I've ever wanted the regular 192s to be wider. But I do only weigh ~165lb, so there's that.

Actually went the other way and ordered some -1 ULs to tour on this season, we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post

My brother had 196 1st year tattoo graphic(the year they went to 128 from 132). They didn't have flex options then(at least listed on site). They made the 196 slightly too soft, or at least the rear and it kinda had a hingey flex. Kinda disturbing. He sold those. I do have 188 CCR Hybrids I need to do a little fixypoo to and hopefully ski this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, can't say that I've ever wanted the regular 192s to be wider. But I do only weigh ~165lb, so there's that.

Actually went the other way and ordered some -1 ULs to tour on this season, we'll see how that goes.
    Dude, I have like 7 pair of skis over 130, 8 if you include Splatulas @145

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Dude, I have like 7 pair of skis over 130, 8 if you include Splatulas @145
    I've got L138s too, I'm definitely not saying there's no point in super fattys. I just meant that the stock Protest does what I want it to really well.

7 pairs is impressive though!

Also probably worth noting that I've got a really fucked up knee that doesn't love side hilling on really wide skis. I still daily a few skis in the 115ish range but something not mega-fat does make it happier skinning.