Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    yeah same here ^^ and the more dominant ski store that people trusted was keeping the trend down by telling people they don't need those ski and selling them the same old shit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    How many 4SKs did you break?
    Didn't ski them.
    But I repaired a a lot!
    I was skiing k2(who I also became unenamored with re:compressed edges--too soft sidewall).

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    At my hill I was one of the first people to adopt fatter skis on any day with new snow. It took a while for people to catch on. Anything over a 100 can turn what people call dust on crust into a powder day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, I was so stupid at the time my brother and I shopformed a pair of Volkl P10 223 dh boards(later sold to Swerve unmounted, supertuned, hot boxed, dibloced and wetjetted) when we coulda bought 2 pair 190 Explosivs!
    Fuck...

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

I brought this up a few months ago..I’m hoping it becomes a folk tale through ski history, told by wise elders to youngsters. I saw it with my own eyes.

When I lived in JH, there was a being who would wear a Hawaiian shirt over it’s jacket, and seemingly daily drove ARGs. I’d see it on them no matter the conditions, and I saw it like 10 times over 2 seasons, always on days with no new snow.

I’m sure on snow days the demi god would climb the powder stairway to the snow god realm, pleading for them to pardon us mere mortals for our outright sacrilege, disregarding the gift of powder ski design they put in our little minds. Many have turned their back on

$$$

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah same here ^^ and the more dominant ski store that people trusted was keeping the trend down by telling people they don't need those ski and selling them the same old shit
    Ski stores sell you what they have, which does not always coincide with what you want or need.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Didn't ski them.
    But I repaired a a lot!
    I was skiing k2(who I also became unenamored with re:compressed edges--too soft sidewall).
    Broke two pairs of those teal Rossis. Both un-fixable.

During the rise of snowboarding, I picked up used skis for a song. People were practically giving them away. 4 and 7Gs, K2 Comps, Volkl P9s, Atomic ARCs...

IIRC K2's QC was slipping in those years, but the original red white and blue four was a good game changer ski. I bought a pair for my girlfriend, and she finally found her edges. "What does the red light do?" "Nothing, don't look at it"

Name:  SKI-Magazine.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  124.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Broke two pairs of those teal Rossis. Both un-fixable.

During the rise of snowboarding, I picked up used skis for a song. People were practically giving them away. 4 and 7Gs, K2 Comps, Volkl P9s, Atomic ARCs...

IIRC K2's QC was slipping in those years, but the original red white and blue four was a good game changer ski. I bought a pair for my girlfriend, and she finally found her edges. "What does the red light do?" "Nothing, don't look at it"

Name:  SKI-Magazine.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  124.8 KB
    Yeah, saw quite a few broken ones too. Dynastar as well.
    I once repaired a broken ski, altho it was was broken.
    Picked these up for a songClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210324_231058417.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	386714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210324_231141238.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	386715207 KVC, one of my first tele skis.
    My first pair of really well built skis were Kastle 5.0's. Fuck Kastles were sweet before Benneton ruined them!
    That ski emporium is badass!

It would be so much better if it were the front of an old school ski shop, but it's just a fence. It's still there per the (10 year old) streetview.

Powder story

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skifacade.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	977.2 KB 
ID:	386719

Yeah, saw quite a few broken ones too. Dynastar as well.
    I once repaired a broken ski, altho it was was broken.
    Picked these up for a songClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210324_231058417.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	386714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210324_231141238.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	386715207 KVC, one of my first tele skis.
    My first pair of really well built skis were Kastle 5.0's. Fuck Kastles were sweet before Benneton ruined them!
    That ski emporium is badass!
    I think my hart Freestyles and K2 233 mids are the ONLY ski that I didn't crack the topsheets at the tips like that grabbing air and landing on flats hard.

Extra unqualified for the current "it's gotta have kevlar" era. I probably only skied 7-8 days in all of the 1990s. They were great days but few and far between and on 80s skis. I skied my 80s K2 710FO and 812s through the 90s.. I didn't ski at all between 1999 and 2007 and then started buying used early 00s skis.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Those broke on an airline conveyor belt

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but lately I've been bringing out 130ish sticks on the 6-8" days to get as much float as possible to stay off the bottom.

I use 110ish on the uber deep low density days because it's more fun to be turning in the snow versus surfing on top of it. What's the point of having 30" of fresh if you're only using the top 8"?
    In theory this makes sense and is great, but do you switch to different skis once everything is skied out? That always been my limiting factor to buying ultra fatties for those 6-8” days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Ski stores sell you what they have, which does not always coincide with what you want or need.
    I work at a store which currently lists 98 skis 110mm and above . . . not all are in the brick and mortar location, but we can get them in a few days. And yeah, we used them last year a lot.

ya but do you tell people they don't need something because you don't have it in stock ?

ya but do you tell people they don't need something because you don't have it in stock ?
    100% when I was in retail and we relied on commissions and free swag based on our sales. If we can't sell it to them it sucks and they need whatever we did have available to sell.. It was luggage and business cases though not ski gear LOL..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

same retailer who told people they don't need fat skis sold a friend a pair of tele boots that were 2 full sizes too BIG and they were high volume boot for a skinny foot, i couldn't believe it

he would offr to sell you any thing even if it was wrong and he was pretty successful at doing it

same retailer who told people they don't need fat skis sold a friend a pair of tele boots that were 2 full sizes too BIG and they were high volume boot for a skinny foot, i couldn't believe it
    he would offr to sell you any thing even if it was wrong and he was pretty successful at doing it
    knowing most tele customers it probably felt great in the store and they were happy to finally find someone with boots in stock
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I tell them it'll be here on Tuesday. No commission anyway, might as well be up front.

I eventualy gave her my scarpa T-3 in about a 24 cuz she liked them, she takes a 24 or possibly less

if Buddy had done a proper fitting how could he have sold her a size 26 garmont which is a boot 2 sizes too big and also the wrong type of volume for her foot ?

i've seen him do this other times he gets it on the foot asks how about that and sells it even tho its wrong

it pushs product out the door but its very lame,

he wasn't on commission but he owned the store

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    knowing most tele customers it probably felt great in the store and they were happy to finally find someone with boots in stock
    and it will feel great until they run out of dope

Not even dope can make I'll fitting boots fun

I know I often get spun up about injustice in the world, but I wish these kinds of people would die in a fire. (Or fall in into a brush chipper...feet first.)
    [And yeah, I totally get how that kind of response isn't congruent with wanting the world to be caring and kind. But even I have my limits. LOL]

Personally don't get it!
    I get Phatties for 3"-8", but downsizing for ~30" makes 0 sense.
    30" of snow can be a fuckload of work and a lot of times just can't get enough speed to turn.
    Down in it? Fuck that, I already skied in the 90's! No more plyometric turns for me Fuck that!
    I should clarify my position. I love huge fatties for dust on crust. Current favorites for these conditions are OG bodacious or QST 118. Legit powder days are reserved for renegades. Upside down pow I break or powder boards or protests, which turn upside down pow into a pure joy while everyone else is complaining.

Protesteses rule. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    I brought this up a few months ago..I’m hoping it becomes a folk tale through ski history, told by wise elders to youngsters. I saw it with my own eyes.

When I lived in JH, there was a being who would wear a Hawaiian shirt over it’s jacket, and seemingly daily drove ARGs. I’d see it on them no matter the conditions, and I saw it like 10 times over 2 seasons, always on days with no new snow.

I’m sure on snow days the demi god would climb the powder stairway to the snow god realm, pleading for them to pardon us mere mortals for our outright sacrilege, disregarding the gift of powder ski design they put in our little minds. Many have turned their back on
    Ive seen a guy at Winter Park skiing low tide with purple L138s mounted tele.
    I commented here.
    Apparently, it was his everyday setup as others were like: "Oh yeah, that guy. I see him all the time".

Powderboards are even better once you figure out how to survive on flat groomers. They’re fine on groomers with a pitch but if it’s flat weird things happen. Thankfully that’s not what they’re for nor does one encounter that train often.