Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

...at least according to a ski shop sales person in Park City.

Yesterday, I went into a local shop to have some boot work done. As the boot fitter/sales person was working on my boots I looked over to the ski wall and noticed that the widest ski up for sale was Armada ARV 106. The shop sells Volkl, Rossignol, Black Crows, Armada, Blizzard and Nordica. I said, "aren't you guys selling powder skis this year?" He replied, "What do you mean, we have ARV 106 and Rustler 10." I asked where were the Rustler 11, Revolt 121, Anima, or any other fat skis. He replied, "No one skis anything wider than 110 anymore. If so, you might as well snowboard."
    Apparently, this opinion is not limited to this sales person. I took a look at many manufacturers' websites and noticed that there are slim pickings of pow skis. What's up? IDC if I only get to ski them 5 days/season, there will always be room for a pair of 120ish skis in my quiver.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

wtf

Apparently my daily drivers are all considered pow skis.

Rustler 11 are my current widest, and I have a serious itch for something wider and more rockered.

Blasphemy.
    swing your fucking sword.

How many days warranted something over 106 in Park City last season?

If ever mfg decided they couldn't make $$$ building skis wider than 110 mm then there will be none for sale

Depending on how much / where the type of season think about how much a wide ski gets used?

How otfen do you see virtualy unused super fats for sale cheap

some years i didint even use mine and thot about selling them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd say the days of in-person shopping for 110+ skis are gone maybe.

The skis will continue to be made and devoured by at least a few addicts in pursuit of orgasmic pow days.

Sounds like a condescending ski shop that matches the culture of PC and Vail resorts. All the more reason to be at Pow Mow/Snowbird/AnyOtherResort.

All that being said, I'm an advocate for narrower skis - get extra surface area from length, not necessarily width. But my pow skis still have their place...

Just bought some 119 underfoot Praxis...whoops

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

A lot of people who need/want 110mm waisted skis have 110mm waisted skis in a quiver, that doesn't rotate as fast as 80-105mm waisted skis...

And many other areas of the world added together drive their manufacturing needs more as well.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I've got 110, 115, 116, 122, 125, and 128mm wide snowboards.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Apparently my daily drivers are all considered pow skis.
    Seriously. I don't own a single <100mm ski right now and my daily drivers are all 113+

I think the shop guy meant to say the days of powder skiing in Park City are gone… well almost

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Low tide is the new pow ski. Got it.

When did these shop bros decide this?
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    There's a certain canyon over the ridge that may tell you a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    How many days warranted something over 106 in Park City last season?
    IMVHO, 106 vs 116 is irrelevant when it's deep. >110 mm shines the most on 3-8" days, especially if the density is a bit higher than normal Wasatch density. Keeps you off the bottom and makes those marginal days ski much better. These days I'll take 4-6" of windy graupel over 12-18" of blower. Doesn't generate the hype of a big dump so the crowds stay reasonable, but everything gets smoothed out and surfy and still skis great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    These days I'll take 4-6" of windy graupel over 12-18" of blower. Doesn't generate the hype of a big dump so the crowds stay reasonable, but everything gets smoothed out and surfy and still skis great.
    I love nothing more than uber deep storm days, but man is hauling ass around the mountain on 6" of surfy cream or graupel a fucking blast.

I guess all those old timers on PugSki were right all along?….lol. We should learn to always listen to our elders….

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IMVHO, 106 vs 116 is irrelevant when it's deep. >110 mm shines the most on 3-8" days, especially if the density is a bit higher than normal Wasatch density. Keeps you off the bottom and makes those marginal days ski much better. These days I'll take 4-6" of windy graupel over 12-18" of blower. Doesn't generate the hype of a big dump so the crowds stay reasonable, but everything gets smoothed out and surfy and still skis great.
    Its not irrelevant but if a ski maker builds it whom is gona buy it, considering the average person skis 10 days a season at a resort with all the snow beat out by 10am who gets a chance to use it ?

at the local hill I have seen the average skier on blue groomers with their new armada JJ's, tips/ tails flopping around on the hard piste and I think they to myself they arent really using that ski for its intended purpose

The ski makers don't do things like this for no reason so are ski makers responding to a lack of market for wider skis ?

somebody who sell s skis could share demograpic with us ?

btw I looked on the armada site and they still got wide skis

I wrote out half of a comment, but then deleted it in favor of this:

Everything about this is dumb.

Ok, moving on…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I love nothing more than uber deep storm days, but man is hauling ass around the mountain on 6" of surfy cream or graupel a fucking blast.
    Especially since the latter usually means skiing right onto the lift instead of spending most of your day standing in line. All things being equal I'll take the deep day, but all things are never equal.

Makes sense. Ski shops are there to make money. And the money is in the middle of the bell curve. Currently, that's the traveling beater dental-lawyer and it would seem they want sub-110mm waisted skis. And I say this as I look longingly over at my 4FRNT Renegades Owls... that I haven't skied for a few seasons.

We TGR gnar rad-bros are at the end of the bell curve... allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    We TGR gnar rad-bros are at the end of the bell curve... allegedly.
    Which end?

This just in:

26ers are coming back...

"Nobody needs over a 26" wheel, if you do you might as well road bike"

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

Yesterday, I went into a local shop to have some boot work done. As the boot fitter/sales person was working on my boots I looked over to the ski wall and noticed that the widest ski up for sale was Armada ARV 106. The shop sells Volkl, Rossignol, Black Crows, Armada, Blizzard and Nordica. I said, "aren't you guys selling powder skis this year?" He replied, "What do you mean, we have ARV 106 and Rustler 10." I asked where were the Rustler 11, Revolt 121, Anima, or any other fat skis. He replied, "No one skis anything wider than 110 anymore. If so, you might as well snowboard."
    Apparently, this opinion is not limited to this sales person. I took a look at many manufacturers' websites and noticed that there are slim pickings of pow skis. What's up? IDC if I only get to ski them 5 days/season, there will always be room for a pair of 120ish skis in my quiver.
    is this really true ^^^ Armada site seemed to have wide skis ?

a statement like that usually means " you don't need it cuz we ain't got it"