Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I can't help but view any ski over 95mm waist as a powder ski.

But I'm really old.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    2nd to that. I still own Renegades but have been really surprised by the float on newer, skinnier skis in my quiver. So much so that I relegated my Rens to tech bindings so they only come out inbounds on the deepest of the deep days.
    Wait, 122mm Rens on tech binders. Inbounds?

You're a sadist. Good on you.

so 3 pages of wanking and we still don't know if the ski store staff was bull shitting or if there is a new trend in ski retail ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so 3 pages of wanking and we still don't know if the ski store staff was bull shitting or if there is a new trend in ski retail ?
    It's that time of year...

Cranky. We need to be fed.....POWDER

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ...at least according to a ski shop sales person in Park City.

Yesterday, I went into a local shop to have some boot work done. As the boot fitter/sales person was working on my boots I looked over to the ski wall and noticed that the widest ski up for sale was Armada ARV 106. The shop sells Volkl, Rossignol, Black Crows, Armada, Blizzard and Nordica. I said, "aren't you guys selling powder skis this year?" He replied, "What do you mean, we have ARV 106 and Rustler 10." I asked where were the Rustler 11, Revolt 121, Anima, or any other fat skis. He replied, "No one skis anything wider than 110 anymore. If so, you might as well snowboard."
    Apparently, this opinion is not limited to this sales person. I took a look at many manufacturers' websites and noticed that there are slim pickings of pow skis. What's up? IDC if I only get to ski them 5 days/season, there will always be room for a pair of 120ish skis in my quiver.
    I think I know which shop this is because I asked that exact same question last year and basically got the same answer. I think I was talking to the shop ski buyer as I was looking for an Enforcer 110 and he said that the wide powder skis didn't really sell anymore and besides, he said the powder days at Park City are gone and not coming back... Little bit of debbie downer so maybe I chatted him up on the wrong day and the wrong time but yes, it does seem that at the end of the season, the skis still left on the wall are the big skis.

I also think PC and especially PCMR are tourist heavy and maybe the primary customer is the person coming in for a week or two of skiing and so probably not looking for a powder ski.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

The answer to your question is absolutely yes. Powder skis just don't sell.

Look at the 21/22 Ski mag's "Powder Skis" buyers guide here. I know a dozen or more people who daily drive the Rustler 11 or MFree 108. The trend has been away from the 110+ segment for more than a few years now. Some of us will always need and want real powder skis, but the people who buy skis off the wall at shops don't.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 09-22-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Which end?
    If you have to ask...

It depends on the location of said ski shop. Is it in Wisconsin or Washington?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

I paid $129 delivered for my Cham127’s.
    I probably ski them 15 days a year.
    I don’t really plan on replacing them anytime soon.
    Nobody’s making money on powder skis.

I call nonsense. Praxis protest back up at $550 and one of the best fat skis around. Support the indies!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    We TGR gnar rad-bros are at the end of the bell curve... allegedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Which end?
    Both. Nothing in my quiver between 65mm race stock and 109mm.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Both. Nothing in my quiver between 65mm race stock and 109mm.
    This is a good game. Quiver gap. I thought mine was substantial (92 to 108). 16.

Yours is freakin 44. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IMVHO, 106 vs 116 is irrelevant when it's deep. >110 mm shines the most on 3-8" days, especially if the density is a bit higher than normal Wasatch density. Keeps you off the bottom and makes those marginal days ski much better. These days I'll take 4-6" of windy graupel over 12-18" of blower. Doesn't generate the hype of a big dump so the crowds stay reasonable, but everything gets smoothed out and surfy and still skis great.
    My man! Stormy days are better than powder days. Don’t tell anyone

I tech in a shop and It’s becoming the norm. The average joe doesn’t ski enough to warrant a large quiver of skis. So they just sit around collect dust, maybe move a pair or two, then they go online or to a changing season sale priced at cost. We try to order skis for customers when they request, this last year that wasn’t possible due to the supply chain shortage.

The order goes out a year in advance and it’s based on an algorithm of what product sold the best that year based of of ski specs(turn radius, weight, how easily they are to ski). Wider waisted skis are not the norm for the once a month weekend warrior, so they don’t sell. Dollars and cents are what matter at the end of the day.

We know that there are other companies that offer a better selection of pow specific skis. We encourage consumers that want them to just buy direct and bring them in for a Mount so we don’t get stuck with them in may.

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    I tech in a shop and It’s becoming the norm. The average joe doesn’t ski enough to warrant a large quiver of skis. So they just sit around collect dust, maybe move a pair or two, then they go online or to a changing season sale priced at cost. We try to order skis for customers when they request, this last year that wasn’t possible due to the supply chain shortage.

The order goes out a year in advance and it’s based on an algorithm of what product sold the best that year based of of ski specs(turn radius, weight, how easily they are to ski). Wider waisted skis are not the norm for the once a month weekend warrior, so they don’t sell. Dollars and cents are what matter at the end of the day.

We know that there are other companies that offer a better selection of pow specific skis. We encourage consumers that want them to just buy direct and bring them in for a Mount so we don’t get stuck with them in may.

after 3 pages of wanking dentist reliving ... something

actual data,

thank you

any clue what the new ski market will be like this year, do you expect to sell out like bikes and other out-door gear have ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

after 3 pages of wanking dentist reliving ... something

actual data,

thank you

any clue what the new ski market will be like this year, do you expect to sell out like bikes and other out-door gear have ?
    Skis are starting to show up. We are out in the Sierras and the skis that did the beat this year were fisher FR 102, Volkl m5 mantra. 95-105 waisted skis are the easiest all mountain ski to sell out here. Those are the men’s skis I can say those skis almost ski themselves. I’d say with confidence that skis similar to this will be more plentiful. I know the supply chain has effected some Indy builders and their ability to source raw materials. If it were me (which i already did) get on pre orders and don’t wait to replace the one spot in your quiver since it may not come.

Still unsure on the supply chain for bikes, companies have their frames and other proprietary items but the components from outside sources take while. When we were closing out the season the rep from Pivot said they estimate 1.5-2 years until the supply chain is fixed and it’s not a 6 month or more lead time.

This is all a load of BS. I was ski buyer until 2 years ago. If you want be a ski shop in the west you need to have some pow skis on that wall in the fall. I get being sold out buy Christmas but there is no risk in bringing in 4-8 pair of real skis. Worse case you sell them at cost. If you’re shop can’t float 1400-2000 in inventory for the season then you got bigger problems. They are show pieces to get people stoked, you hook up a couple locals and get lucky on a few pair to some Texans. In the end nobody looses. Sounds like shitty management to me.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    This is all a load of BS. I was ski buyer until 2 years ago. If you want be a ski shop in the west you need to have some pow skis on that wall in the fall. I get being sold out buy Christmas but there is no risk in bringing in 4-8 pair of real skis. Worse case you sell them at cost. If you’re shop can’t float 1400-2000 in inventory for the season then you got bigger problems. They are show pieces to get people stoked, you hook up a couple locals and get lucky on a few pair to some Texans. In the end nobody looses. Sounds like shitty management to me.
    The keyword is “some,” but I’ll quote myself.

I tech in a shop and It’s becoming the norm. The average joe doesn’t ski enough to warrant a large quiver of skis. So they just sit around collect dust, maybe move a pair or two, then they go online or to a changing season sale priced at cost..

The original question was is this the norm? Not having a large selection of pow specific skis is it. A lot of shops got hit hard by the pandemic now they need to tighten up their margins to get back on track.

I’m not economist, but I’d rather have a bunch of skis to make money on than ones that just get sold off at cost at the end of the season.

If you really want a pow-specific ski over 110mm, you likely know exactly where to buy one, and apparently it's not OP's brick-and-mortar in Park City . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If you really want a pow-specific ski over 110mm, you likely know exactly where to buy one, and apparently it's not OP's brick-and-mortar in Park City . . .
    Right next to Surefoot.

The keyword is “some,” but I’ll quote myself.

The original question was is this the norm? Not having a large selection of pow specific skis is it. A lot of shops got hit hard by the pandemic now they need to tighten up their margins to get back on track.

I’m not economist, but I’d rather have a bunch of skis to make money on than ones that just get sold off at cost at the end of the season.

I hear what your saying and different regions were definitely hit harder than others last year. I’m just saying having the big ski that sits there sells your other skis. It’s hard to quantify that but it works. It’s why every car dealership has top of the line model or two sitting inside on the showroom.

Not the norm in NW Montana and we barely get snow.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I thought this was crystal clear to everyone.

I think this is a Park City thing. It's full of texan and NY'ers with their 3rd and 4th houses who just ski groomers and like to eat and drink more than ski. There isn't a whole lot of terrain on that side of Wasatch or days with serious dumps to warrant the tourons needing fat skis. Cruise around the bend to AltaBird, up to JH or over to the Sierras and it's a different story. Plenty of fat skis there.

That said, I agree with Eluder. It's sorta like Acura making the NSX. It's a Halo ski and you don't need a lot to make the wall look legit core.

I also think a 108mm ski can function like a much wider ski depending on rocker and flex pattern so the days of only relying on width for float are over. That is just the evolution of ski design and everyone finds what works for them. I do think it's lame when ski shops only have the touron skis.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I have not worked in a shop in a long time so grain of salt here. There were three types of folks selling skis to people who bought skis at retail in a ski shop; 1-the guy/gal who sold skis based on the buyers dream of how they wanted to ski, 2-the guy/gal who sold skis after asking questions and figuring out what a buyer would actually have fun on, 3-the guy/gal who didn't know what they fuck they were talking about. Depending on the customer, 1-3 all could sell skis. 1 and 2 could sell skis to people who at least skied some. 2 would get repeat customers with 1 occasionally nailing it with the well healed bro picking up his winter sticks in front of his fake titted wife.

I think with supply issues and brick and mortar struggles and tight margins, shops are figuring out how to keep the lights on.

People who can really ski and want rad sticks are only paying retail at shops to help shops out or they are buying direct from rad stick makers or places like gear swap.

How many people here have walked into a shop and had a conversation with the two year veteran retail kid and had their mind blown with the shop recommended ski?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    we had a mass rep day the past couple
    nordica,, volkel,, rossi, dynastar, elan ,head/tyro, soli ,armada etc
    they all bought "fat" above 106 mm skis we will be carrying this season
    i think its a snark pipity shop thing
    feel free to come shop with us
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno