Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

For me, 108 Jeffs for daily driver but 114 Mordecais when it’s really soft. I have thinner for hard days but don’t often go below 108.

The 108s are fine in soft but the difference in the skis and the mount position for the Mordecais are awesome in 3D. It’s more fun. Aren’t we all here to have fun?
    Last edited by EWG; 09-26-2021 at 05:13 AM.

Slightly off topic, but lately I've been bringing out 130ish sticks on the 6-8" days to get as much float as possible to stay off the bottom.

I use 110ish on the uber deep low density days because it's more fun to be turning in the snow versus surfing on top of it. What's the point of having 30" of fresh if you're only using the top 8"?

^ Man of genius.

Wisdom beyond his years.

Hoji’s are 112 underfoot.
    ‘nuff said.
    used every ski day / every ski condition with joy
    skid luxury

Same goes for the OG 186 Lhasa Pow.

I got a ski bud who claims the narrow skis get him down in the pow , he is an old fuck who doesnt ski much cuz he is aways hurt cuz he won't go to the physio which makes him older than he is, I don't really listen to him very much, old ideas are old
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What’s a good Tahoe powder ski for a 70 year old intermediate dude, 5’11 200+ lbs?

I grabbed some pescados a few years back from KC 77, but sold before my father skied, because anticipated feeling too wide. Now thinking the Sakana 105 would be really good.

Problem I’m running into is I need to find something that works decent in heavy maritime snow, and can also carve some soft groomers well at slow-medium speeds. Those two performance aspects go against each other in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I guess all those old timers on PugSki were right all along?….lol. We should learn to always listen to our elders….
    Paging Jonesy…

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    What’s a good Tahoe powder ski for a 70 year old intermediate dude, 5’11 200+ lbs?

I grabbed some pescados a few years back from KC 77, but sold before my father skied, because anticipated feeling too wide. Now thinking the Sakana 105 would be really good.

Problem I’m running into is I need to find something that works decent in heavy maritime snow, and can also carve some soft groomers well at slow-medium speeds. Those two performance aspects go against each other in my experience.
    Enforcer 110 or Mindbender 108Ti would be my votes.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say something on the softer side but heavy as possible, with a short radius, sized a bit short. How does an S7 do in maritime snow?

Soul 7, seriously. Or the old Super 7 if you can find it. Something he can bend easily with a shorter radius.

^ Jinx.

I teach my kids on an M102. The 3D radius is tight underfoot for chill low angle noodle carves. Probably stout enough for maritime. K108 might even be better as it’s even tighter underfoot.

I often reflect that it would be in my Kirkwood quiver.

I don’t know why stable and quiet often gets shouted as being demanding. The M102 is absolute cake to ski at low speeds and angles.

I don’t know your father’s strengths. But I don’t think the Volkl strengths should intimidate your father’s weaknesses. That 3D radius is interesting as hell mixed with it's rocker profile.

I choose my M102 for teaching 6, 9, and 12yo kids because it’s easy to run around on. And then it’s easy to entertain myself on those low angle flats.

I also believe that those softer skis tend to be more tedious in maritime snow & crud. I wouldn't want to drive one. Why would I think my dad would?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but lately I've been bringing out 130ish sticks on the 6-8" days to get as much float as possible to stay off the bottom.

I use 110ish on the uber deep low density days because it's more fun to be turning in the snow versus surfing on top of it. What's the point of having 30" of fresh if you're only using the top 8"?
    This has been my theory for quite a while now. I’ve been searching for a pair of hellbents (however I’m not willling to spend much on them) for these exact conditions as my assumption is their ridiculously soft flex would even further aid in staying off the crust. Most people think my theory is crazy but then again half of the ski patrol at Alta doesn’t have a ski over 110. I think they’re crazy.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I use 185 Powderboards in New England to keep speed on the flatter terrain and to stay off the bottom, which is usually the ground.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 09-26-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    This has been my theory for quite a while now. I’ve been searching for a pair of hellbents (however I’m not willling to spend much on them) for these exact conditions as my assumption is their ridiculously soft flex would even further aid in staying off the crust. Most people think my theory is crazy but then again half of the ski patrol at Alta doesn’t have a ski over 110. I think they’re crazy.

Personally don't get it!
    I get Phatties for 3"-8", but downsizing for ~30" makes 0 sense.
    30" of snow can be a fuckload of work and a lot of times just can't get enough speed to turn.
    Down in it? Fuck that, I already skied in the 90's! No more plyometric turns for me Fuck that!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    30" of snow can be a fuckload of work and a lot of times just can't get enough speed to turn.
    Down in it? Fuck that, I already skied in the 90's! No more plyometric turns for me Fuck that!
    This is exactly why I’ve been wanting to add something wider than my R11’s

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post

You were up above it
    Now you're down in it
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They probably don't have their full stock in (Nordica is missing) but at Evo Seattle:

Evo > Available Seattle > Men's Skis

60-79mm - 3
    80-89mm - 8
    90-99mm - 27
    100-109mm - 31
    110-120mm- 12
    >120mm - 1

Only 6 over 113mm.

"Welcome to Seattle, please proceed to the third floor to pickup your badge, laptop, IKON pass and Rustler 10s"

Nothing worse than day with nice light shallow powder that doesn't quite keep you off the floor. Go fatter and suddenly you are dancing instead of slarving. I also love my 117 waisted Keepers in heavy slush and even rotten snow. Good to have another tool in the box when the going gets weird. Just because the major manufacturers don't find a niche ski financially viable doesn't mean it ain't useful.

If it was up to the major manufactures, we'd still be getting 55-60 mm uf skis rammed down our throats
    I credit snowboarding w/ helping us out of this dire situation

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post

My go to for these conditions, especially when there is a very firm crust below, is my Volkl Shiro. The 119 waist helps you float and the ample tip and tail rocker get the extremities out of the snow and allow you to pivot and slide. I could see that working on something like a Hellbent, too.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

At my hill I was one of the first people to adopt fatter skis on any day with new snow. It took a while for people to catch on. Anything over a 100 can turn what people call dust on crust into a powder day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Fuck that, I already skied in the 90's!
    How many 4SKs did you break?