Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I told you kids that shaped skis and fat skis were just a fad...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Which end?
    The low end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Makes sense. Ski shops are there to make money. And the money is in the middle of the bell curve. Currently, that's the traveling beater dental-lawyer and it would seem they want sub-110mm waisted skis. And I say this as I look longingly over at my 4FRNT Renegades Owls... that I haven't skied for a few seasons.

We TGR gnar rad-bros are at the end of the bell curve... allegedly.
    More money will be in the first standard deviation on that bell-curve, but I think it's pretty short-sighted for a ski shop not to carry 1-2 options as a pow ski, or even some narrower options. Someone remotely knowledgeable can spot the quality of a ski shop and know their grit if they're willing to exclude The other 32% of skiers in the 2nd and 3rd SDs buying narrow and fat skis.

Even if I were buying a 90-100mm standard ski, I would exclude the shop from my list on principle alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    More money will be in the first standard deviation on that bell-curve, but I think it's pretty short-sighted for a ski shop not to carry 1-2 options as a pow ski, or even some narrower options. Someone remotely knowledgeable can spot the quality of a ski shop and know their grit if they're willing to exclude The other 32% of skiers in the 2nd and 3rd SDs buying narrow and fat skis.

Even if I were buying a 90-100mm standard ski, I would exclude the shop from my list on principle alone.
    Same. But again; shops exist to make money and that means selling in volume.

I guess I have a whole quiver of snowboards then and I am certainly not having fun at all.

How many people do you know that bought pow skis off the rack at a brick and mortar ski shop?

The days of pow skis aren't done, but the days of people walking into a shop and buying a brand new 120 waisted ski are pretty much gone in most locations.

90% of dentist tourists don't ski powder anyways, the other 10% get a bro deal or buy indie skis or online.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    How many people do you know that bought pow skis off the rack at a brick and mortar ski shop?

The days of pow skis aren't done, but the days of people walking into a shop and buying a brand new 120 waisted ski are pretty much gone in most locations.
    lots but that was before this sason

so are we talking about a new normal ?

so far I havent heard anyone say anything of any relevance to the situation

in other words just a bunch of wanking
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Love it. Assume the customer knows basically nothing. Maybe be like “well, this is the widest we stock and they float better than the 106s of old but what are you looking for?” Or something. I dunno. A dealer can’t order stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Dumb ass take. Maybe he should move to NH.

This store carried Blizzard, but nothing wider than the Cochise 106; Nordica, but nothing wider than the Enforcer 104; Armada ARV 106, Black Crows Atris, Rossignol Experience. I thought that it was strange. I think that the person was just one of those typical ski bum town guys who views himself as a know-it-all rockstar of the hill.

I think that this shop, which used to have the best end of season sale in town, just tired of selling it's [not so popular to the minions] boards at 50% off in April.

Rustler 12's.....really?!? ...and he kind of insisted. whew
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Back in the old days all the cool kids had a set of super G or DH boards in the closet, whether to channel Scott Schmidt or rip groomers. I would say the same for pow skis today, they're in the closet for the best days and the 96-106 get used the most.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Which end?
    The bell end.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

good to know.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Most tourists are fine on 100mm

Better on hard pack. Skiable in pow.

Remember volkl explosives?
    Remember all the moped jokes when you used them?

It’s hard to find deep pow these days as a tourist unless you hike, heli, or get lucky.

Enjoy the Oxford comma.
    . . .

Rich people shopping for skis in PC are getting older and older and their knees can't handle such wide skis anymore. Especially with such old school narrow and upright stances.
    So yeah.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    A lot of people who need/want 110mm waisted skis have 110mm waisted skis in a quiver, that doesn't rotate as fast as 80-105mm waisted skis...
    This is a good point. Certainly the case with me - had the same pow skis for 7 years but rotate through a new pair of 95-110 skis pretty much every season. Pow skis are usually ridden in the best conditions much less frequently so I don't think as much about what specifically I would want to change in the ski since everything is awesome. But when I'm on a certain ski 50+ days a year I start to get the itch to try different things
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

So these m Free 108’s in my office are good for pow or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    So these m Free 108’s in my office are good for pow or not?

That's the other piece... ski shape has improved as such where narrower platforms punch above their width in pow performance

The days of &gt;110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Oh for fucks sake. Assuming all are modern rockered skis, a 120 something is better in powder than a 110 something which is better than a 100 something. Why the fuck are we talking about this? Has this place turned into Aplinezone? Is Greg here?

Try to take away my Mordecais and give me a 105 something. Try it. I will fight you.
    Last edited by EWG; 09-22-2021 at 05:43 PM.

The days of &gt;110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Haha this thread made me laugh.

~10 skis in my quiver…all pretty current shapes/models…apparently I missed the memo that 110mm is the new 120mm.

My quiver waists:

118mm
    116mm
    115mm
    112mm
    112mm
    106mm (selling)
    104mm
    99mm
    96mm
    95mm (a 154mm tipped Line Blade so doesn’t count as a 95mm).

And I was just looking at some Pescados (125mm)?

We stay at a group cabin in a Whistler all winter…we keep our skis in a group locker. Can’t tell you the number of conversations I’ve had where people tell me their fatty ski is a 98mm. Dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Oh for fucks sake. Assuming all are modern rocketed skis, a 120 something is better in powder than a 110 something which is better than a 100 something. Why the fuck are we talking about this? Has this place turned into Aplinezone? Is Greg here?

Try to take away my Mordecais and give me a 105 something. Try it. I will fight you.
    It's PugSki, actually

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    How many days warranted something over 106 in Park City last season?
    LOL
    Aggressive in my own mind

PCMR and DV had about 5-6 good pow days last season when I left the Rustler 11s in the stable in favor of the Lhasa Fats......most on a weekend. But, it's only 45 mins to Alta and 1.25 hrs. to Pow Mow.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That's the other piece... ski shape has improved as such where narrower platforms punch above their width in pow performance
    2nd to that. I still own Renegades but have been really surprised by the float on newer, skinnier skis in my quiver. So much so that I relegated my Rens to tech bindings so they only come out inbounds on the deepest of the deep days.