Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Personally, I am really happy that I just picked up a pair of new Bode's...cheap. It is hard for me to believe that an intermountain west skier does not have room in his quiver or a desire for a ski with a waist of 118-130.
    Like CascadeL, I have bad knees, and I am old, but this year my quiver includes skis that are 89mm, 98mm, 114mm and 118mm underfoot. While a Cochise would fit in nicely, it is not necessary. I anticipate that I will spend 30-40 days on the MX89, 10-20 days on the TX98, 20-25 days on the Rustler 11 and 10-15 days on the Bodacious.

...and a lot of those brick and mortar shops have 50% off deals at the end of the season which makes them attractive to locals. ...or at least they used to.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Its not irrelevant but if a ski maker builds it whom is gona buy it, considering the average person skis 10 days a season at a resort with all the snow beat out by 10am who gets a chance to use it ?

at the local hill I have seen the average skier on blue groomers with their new armada JJ's, tips/ tails flopping around on the hard piste and I think they to myself they arent really using that ski for its intended purpose

The ski makers don't do things like this for no reason so are ski makers responding to a lack of market for wider skis ?

somebody who sell s skis could share demograpic with us ?

btw I looked on the armada site and they still got wide skis
    I think it’s all about the difficulty in making 110 + skis that pass quality control
    It’s hard to do in a mass production environment

Stay friends with your local boutique ski manufacturer

For a typical Sierra deep day. I am happy on a 95 to 110 waist in the 195 cm length range

Completely different than McCain with 3 feet of blower. Or is w really?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Could be but all I see is a lot of skis that passed QC so I can't say and I doubt it

besides the condition I will use a wideski in the QC might not matter
    I buy a lot of near new used skis
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-23-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Cater to your demographic. Maybe shocking to TGR, but a lot of casual skiers don’t even look at big pow skis as some sort of grail or high end item, they just look at them as kind of stupid.

Not saying I agree, but my east coast friends found it shocking that my daily driver in the west is a 108.
    Find new friends?

thats cuz they are stupid

or I wouldn't have a pair

thats cuz they are stupid

or I wouldn't have a pair
    I live in Maine and I'm still pissed that I sold a virgin pair of 138's to Bandit Man a few years ago because I didn't think I 'needed' them.

Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I live in Maine and I'm still pissed that I sold a virgin pair of 138's to Bandit Man a few years ago because I didn't think I 'needed' them.

Real talk; when are you going to use them? Sure you could every blue moon but you could have as much fun on something 20mm narrower, heck 30mm smaller. Case in point- Bandit and I mostly ski at the same heavy snow fall resort (top 10 in nation annually) and my guess is he’s barely skied them. People often buy and hold skis for dream days that rarely materialize. Ask me how I know

IDK man. My Mavens rule springtime conditions.
    I think 138's would too.

worse comes to worse the 120's are great for cruising the slush pit at windup
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The days of >110 underfoot pow skis are gone...

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post

I still have them! If I ever decide to sell them, you get first dibs to buy them back.

I actually ski my C&D’s more than the L138’s since the ON3P’s handle heavy pow better.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    IDK man. My Mavens rule springtime conditions.
    I think 138's would too.
    You tipped me of to purples a few years back. Thank you. Only skied em twice and then sold them. The next year after that I sold my protests. I still have a 122 ski for cat, heli, or blue moons but I’ve modified my whole quiver downward and I’m pleased.

Everyone's different I guess my brother.
    I'm not going back, no pain here(from wide ski leverage, anyway).
    I converted back to alpine because of hurt knees and I was supposed to turn my DIN down 2 damn seasons ago(get off my lawn).
    I'm dd'n 120-125 and Utar ain't always soft
    Fatties in spring slush was epiphanous!
    Long live Phatties!
    Last edited by tuco; 09-24-2021 at 06:06 AM.

So glad I grabbed a set of ARG IIs. The old ARGs were great in chop and chunk, as well as slush, not just untracked.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That would explain why I was able to pick up a pair of Spurs this spring for $125.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    So glad I grabbed a set of ARG IIs. The old ARGs were great in chop and chunk, as well as slush, not just untracked.

Nice.
    I think I'm targeting Magic J's this year

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Nice.
    I think I'm targeting Magic J's this year
    You are on another level lol. I don’t ski enough untracked snow to need a ski between Billy Goats and ARGs. Both of those skis work pretty well in untracked and well in tracked chop.

You daily drive skis in between those two.

I’m on the 108-115mm daily driver train. I expect anything I buy under 110mm to be very, very good on firm snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    How many days warranted something over 106 in Park City last season?
    Not many but I have a car. I had a TKR in April so season was short and knee was weak but still got 22 days on 125+ skis. (Protest & Pescado mostly).

At DV or PC, under 112 is probably enough. Even if you get some powder, you have a lot of groomers and crud/bumps to get around. 98-112 actually work pretty nicely.

I stayed in town for a few good day’s last year but usually skied Pescados in the morning and MX98s in the afternoon. On the other hand, I had some real fun on MX98s at Alta on 6-12” days.

What the hell are you all talking about? Conditions to warrant xx size? Xx size is probably enough?

Personally, I’m on my bibby’s or l138 in soft snow because they’re fucking fun. With those available to me, I’ve also had a blast in thigh deep fluff or foot deep slop on my full camber mantras.

“Anything wider and you may as well snowboard”. That was a dumb thing to say. Even in a PC ski shop. My dailey driver bounces back and forth between 106 Elans and Supergoats. I’m 50 and have no knee pain from them. The only time I ever go below 106 is when I’m feeling chippy and grab the Super Bros.

Frankly, I'd be stoked to have the local shop hocking skis under 100mm, more pow for me!

1970-1994 207,210, 215 cm Dynastar/Dynamic/Rossi/Kneissl race boards
    1995-1999 200 cm ​Volkl Snow Rangers
    2000-2005 190 cm Volkl Explosivs, 186 cm Stockli Stormriders
    2006-present 200 cm DPS Lotus 120s
    last year got another pair of Stocklis, Some Stormrider TT 110 (190 cm 110 mm waist), a decent narrower ski for the groimers.

So, is this where we make clumsy, snotty fun of one another again? Or attempt to foster snide, churlish, mean spirited reparte' ?

Where is Mr. Pound Key when we need him?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I still have them! If I ever decide to sell them, you get first dibs to buy them back.
    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    So I got that going for me

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    last year got another pair of Stocklis, Some Stormrider TT 110 (190 cm 110 mm waist), a decent narrower ski for the groimers.
    Sir, if you feel like moving on from these I’m on the hunt. Perhaps you’d like to find another pair of long Loti. You know where to find me..
    you diggin the GTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IMVHO, 106 vs 116 is irrelevant when it's deep. >110 mm shines the most on 3-8" days...
    . At Shames 110+ is a daily driver. Seriously. You need width when it comes to skiing the depth we have to "deal" with. Not humble bragging in the least. Further, when it heats up to +1 C that 40cm dump is really fucking hard to ski on anything less than 110mm. Well, at least for this fat old hack.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Sir, if you feel like moving on from these I’m on the hunt. Perhaps you’d like to find another pair of long Loti. You know where to find me..
    you diggin the GTS?
    I think I'll hold onto them for now. The shop did mount them a little too forward for my tastes, so there's a chance I may let them go.
    You have some L138s? Whata length.

And yeah, the new sled makes the CO trek so much easier. It goes 400+ miles at 80-85 on 1 tank!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    At DV or PC, under 112 is probably enough. Even if you get some powder, you have a lot of groomers and crud/bumps to get around. 98-112 actually work pretty nicely.
    this has been my approach the last few seasons in BCC. tele ripstick 106 for resort full time, tele 4frnt renegade for big pow and AT ripstick 96 for dedicated touring or just skinny ski shredding.

this season i picked up the woodsman 108 to mount tele Outlaw X and use for a daily driver.

i find it exhausting to be billygoating around teh resort with a fat heavy ski. even the renegades get to be a little much for side stepping and booting all day, but i guess the point is that they're fuyn as hell on the down.

i love the ripsticks and their predictable reliability, but they're a pretty boring ski, when you consider the funshapes and the related antics possible out there.