Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front Side 96-104 ski for hardpack, crud, chalk , steeps, groomers

Looking at Enforcer (100/104), Solly Stance 102, Fischer Ranger 102 FR, Mantra (m5/102), BC Justice, Mindbender 99TI, Rustler 10, kore 99, wildcat 101

Who can help me understand the difference with these skis? I'm sure there is a spectrum with mantra on one end and rustler 10 or wildcat on the other (direction and damp to playful). Looking for something in between. stable, quick , yet has a big sweet spot, some forgiveness and pop. Don't need it for skiing pow. Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Currently have:
    175 OG Corvus (love) with camber sometimes skis too short
    183 Corvus with reverse camber (don't love but ok)
    184 OG Bibby (love)
    178 Lotus Spoon (love but too short)
    184 Black ops 118 (luke warm, powerful, takes some work )
    184 mantra 102 (bought the wrong size, just ok , ski long, just kind of dead , lack of energy)
    188 megawatt (awesome ski but too long for me)

if you love the OG Bibby, I'd bet you'll love the Wildcat.
    swing your fucking sword.

Hey stranger. Hope to actual make some turns with you one of these days.

Helpful to have your size stats here

I love my 191 m102s for this exact spot and while they are on the more damp end still kick back a lot of energy when I put it into them. But My mass at 230lbs is a critical input so trying to vector that in with your lack of enthusiasm for the 184s should help flush out exactly what you’re seeking.

Banditman can best articulate the enforcer 100/104 experience and recently updated the Enforcer thread with some good beta there.

Heard good things about both mindbender 99s and Fisher 102s but haven’t skied either.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Look at the mpro 99 as well. Pretty unique feel due to metal plus a hybrid wood core with PU dampening strips.

I feel like a W101 or any Kore would be too light and loose/planky respectively, and seem counter to every other ski listed (even the rustler). The fat cat/bibs have no business being as good on hardpack as they are at that width, but mind that's above your wanted size. The 101 is more-less a renamed PBJ, so if you were turned off on that one before..

I’m 170lbs right now . 5-8+. I had the pb&j in 181 for years .

And yes slackey , hope to this year !

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    consider adding the 4FRNT MSP99 to your consideration list

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    I’m 170lbs right now . 5-8+. I had the pb&j in 181 for years .

Sounds like the choice is easy if you loved those, then. 184 is ~182 actual. Just won't hold edge or speed like the other mentions.

Also no wonder the 184 mantra is dead to you. Need to be closer to 200 or 6' to get those flexing. ~175 is your sweet spot for a cambered titanal ski.

Seems like you want either the Fischer Ranger 102 FR or Enforcer 104 Free. Both are more accessible and fun than an M102 but still hold there own from a stability perspective.

I suppose you could add the Mantra M6 to your list, too. The length specific build leads one to believe that the 177 would ski easier than the 184.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

regarding the pb&j I liked them but want something a little less park and more directional. ie.. too much rocker.

I'd take a serious look at the Bonafide of any generation, and the latest iteration of Commander 98 as well, for your intended use.

I am going to throw something in that seems rarely considered here. The Faction Prodigy 3.0, I picked this up in the spring and it's a surprisingly versatile ski. Damp enough and holds a good edge.

I found the Kore to be average on hard pack and terrible in icy conditions. Also very delicate (to reduce weight, I guess)- both bases and edges bruised easily.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Can't speak towards the credibility of a lot of the skis you listed, but I would discredit the rustler 10 - probably too hooky and erratic. Rustler 9, bonafide, or Cochise (the 106mm one) would be better options from blizzard. Made the mistake previously of assuming the rustler 10 would be similar to the peacemaker.

Not sure if a more twin-shaped ski is up your alley, but the Rossi HolyShred is a surprisingly versatile ski with a good amount of camber.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Can't speak towards the credibility of a lot of the skis you listed, but I would discredit the rustler 10 - probably too hooky and erratic. Rustler 9, bonafide, or Cochise (the 106mm one) would be better options from blizzard. Made the mistake previously of assuming the rustler 10 would be similar to the peacemaker.

Not sure if a more twin-shaped ski is up your alley, but the Rossi HolyShred is a surprisingly versatile ski with a good amount of camber.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Haha! I almost posted something similar about the Rustler 10.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Not quite on your list but I ski the Ranger 94FR for my everyday (non-pow) ski in CO. Last year almost all days in CB, lots of steeps and tight trees. I prefer a playful poppy ski and went with the 94 to be quicker side to side in the bumps. Its fairly stiff underfoot and can power through some crud but I definitely wanted more ski when there was snow.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Looking at Enforcer (100/104), Solly Stance 102, Fischer Ranger 102 FR, Mantra (m5/102), BC Justice, Mindbender 99TI, Rustler 10, kore 99, wildcat 101

Who can help me understand the difference with these skis? I'm sure there is a spectrum with mantra on one end and rustler 10 or wildcat on the other (direction and damp to playful). Looking for something in between. stable, quick , yet has a big sweet spot, some forgiveness and pop. Don't need it for skiing pow. Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Currently have:
    175 OG Corvus (love) with camber sometimes skis too short
    183 Corvus with reverse camber (don't love but ok)
    184 OG Bibby (love)
    178 Lotus Spoon (love but too short)
    184 Black ops 118 (luke warm, powerful, takes some work )
    184 mantra 102 (bought the wrong size, just ok , ski long, just kind of dead , lack of energy)
    188 megawatt (awesome ski but too long for me)

Liberty Evolv 100. Lil bit of metal mixed with bamboo makes for a versatile ski. I have 90 and it's a more serious ski than I expected. Plus, cheap. 179 should be the right length for you -- they don't ski short: https://www.gearx.com/liberty-ski-ev..._wcB#552=31981

Well cant pass on that price! I had kind of narrowed it down to the stance 2 , the ranger and the enforcer. would be fun to ski them all.

I've heard really good things about the Stance from folks across a range of ski styles -- would love to get on them at some point.

I have the stance 102, enforce 104 and fischer 102. stance it is stable and claim at speed, it does not have a ton of energy and is not playful. If you don't like the mantra I would say the stance is not for you. I got the 102 because I liked the 96 so much I think they are both great skis to go fast and blasting anything that might get in the way. The enforcer 104 is a very fun ski it holds an edge very well in all conditions and can be bent into any turn shape you want, it is defiantly the most playful of the bunch, it feels natural in the air. I do find it lacks a bit a speed, the tips dont seem to have the support i want when your really trucking, part of this might be because I'm a bit of a Clydesdale at 205LBS and maybe if I moved up to the 191 that would give it a little bit more stability. The Fischer falls in between the 2 above. The ranger 102 is a great all around ski, it skis well on hard pack, has good energy out of the turns, pretty stable at speed and still has some playfulness.

Thx super helpful !

You still skiing at CM green machine? I picked up a pair of Mindbender 90ti last season and pretty much stopped skiing any other ski on free ski days in any conditions other than deep. Love them. Stable, damp, yet easy to ski. track an arc really well but not much return in terms of snappy rebound.

My daily went from 88mm to 95 (stormrider 95) to 97 (bonafides) and am happy back at 90. CM frontside, chair 6 etc. they work well anywhere.

I tend to ski with a carving style in any conditions so the 90 work for me really well. I ran into the guy who designed the mindbender series on a southback hike. Chatting with him interestingly he thought the 99 outperformed the 90 on hard pack carving so maybe these would be worth a look for you.

I haven’t skied the others in your list but sure am happy with the MB90ti and looking to pick up a MB 108ti for deeper days.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

I was going to throw up on top of all i've said already that of the skis you rattled off, the Ranger 102 followed by the Justis is the best combination of stable, accessible and 'fun' overall. It wasn't just that gaudy pink topsheet that drained every store of their stocks last year (though it certainly contributed).

Much as i'd suggest a enforcer as well; while being a decent enough stick, they just feel 'dead' in the sense of being dead simple to use. Any tourist can strap in and feel invincible 'plowing' through chop at 15MPH without immediately eating shit in their permanent backseat, which is why they bloat the "performance rental" inventories on this continent (or at least the ones i've seen). But it's a master-of-none deal, and they don't have a plus attribute to stand out above other damper skis like the [carving] Mantra, [ultra-light swing weight] Ranger, or [50/50ness] Rustler. So anyone can run them and feel good about their smaller wallet, but I guarantee they would be happier on something more in-tune with their ability and style.