Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Career idea, training avy dogs....

So this is something I'd like to get into. I've always been really good with the pups, but I do not want to slave away as a patroller for years. I'd love to somehow just jump ahead to being able to train dogs and save lives. Seems like a great fulfilling meaningful way to spend ones life.

It's not just the slave labor of being a patroller. I feel like saving lives would be great, but even body recovery would be something I could deal with, I think I could just focus on the dog, it seems like someone else would dig the body out. Conversely, most of the people I know who have been working EMTs for a while get a little jaded and weird about human suffering and injury death etc and that's not something I really want to do to myself spiritually.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

The training of avy dogs is done by their owner/handler/human. It's that relationship and bond that makes them able to be service dogs and a rescue team together.
    The amount.of training and constant daily work and comfort with the mountains needed is usually best suited for someone who is on the hill with the dog everyday, ie: patrollers.

My 2c.

Agree'd with heckacali. Every avy dog I have watched through training does so with a particular owner/handler.

Plus -- I think you overestimate the number of avy dogs needed. No a viable career path IMHO.

Avy dogs are good for PR and keeping overqualified, overachieving patrollers busy and happy. They are incredible at finding bodies in the snow and amazing when they are working, but they don't really save lives. Maybe once a decade or something. Much more body recovery, though that's not very common either frankly. Not at all a career path though, sorry. I've worked with several and would definitely recommend it if you want to ski patrol and have the inclination for working with dogs. Hope you like shoveling snow.

You can make a living training hunting dogs I think.

Maybe train bomb detection dogs, if you're willing to dispose of the bomb when you find it. Neighbor of mine does that, after learning his craft serving in Iraq.

Ahh, yes, I would assume I would also be the dog's handler, not just sell them or something. Should have been more clear. I am getting deja vu and actually realize this is par for the course for me starting threads here, not quite well thought out enough with the wording of how others will take it and later needing to reclarify...

I guess what I meant is aren't there avy dog handlers that aren't ski patrollers anywhere? That sell that service?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

I guess what I meant is aren't there avy dog handlers that aren't ski patrollers anywhere? That sell that service?

Not in the numbers to make a living. You would do better training dogs for cadaver or confined space or sniffing cancer or covid.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think you would need to be living in the patrol shack for that to work. I have a friend I could put you in touch with that trains dogs for SAR, but it is all volunteer, so not a career path.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think you would need to be living in the patrol shack for that to work. I have a friend I could put you in touch with that trains dogs for SAR, but it is all volunteer, so not a career path.
    Might still take you up on that. Was hoping to make it at least a somewhat paying side gig but that still sounds cool.

Kirby your post count says that you've finally landed...

Leroy, pm me if you still live in Utah. Been training avy dog handlers here forty years.
    (Note I say handlers; the dogs pretty much know what to do)
    All the above things folks have said are true,
    however it is a cool skill set to have, especially if one tours with one's dog...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Like rideit said--if you can manage to train a search dog there might be a local SAR you can join, as a volunteer. Pros are usually law enforcement of some kind.

Re the ideas of training hunting/bomb dogs etc, I mean I like dogs but thats not really the point.

Cool, ya getting involved with SAR as a volunteer could be fulfilling but also heartbreaking and draining.

I just wanted to be the guy the does the dog part and not have to handle the carnage or epic sufferfests. Perhaps my selflessness is a sort of spoiled variety.

Career idea, training avy dogs....

My buddy, a former Teton County Sheriff, and his Malinois are certified for cadaver and live search and rescue. It absolutely does not pay the bills, but it’s a really cool retirement job.
    He worked on the Petito search this last weekend.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I just wanted to be the guy the does the dog part and not have to handle the carnage or epic sufferfests. Perhaps my selflessness is a sort of spoiled variety.
    Good luck with that. As mentioned....not really how it works. I've got some friends pretty deep in the game and they actually have to fund raise to be able to train the dogs as in the handlers themselves don't really get paid to train their own dogs.

If you want some more information, this is a good place to get started https://c-rad.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpEB0-7H7oE&t=166s

I sounds like perhaps you don't understand the the dog and the handler are a team and train as such. If you aren't around to give praise for a job well done, it is not possible to train the dog.

Join your local SAR group. They’re always looking for young strong backs who can ski properly and aren’t afraid of some blood.

But yeah, the main way to get paid to have an avi dog is…
    ….
    ….
    ….
    Ski patrol 🤷♂️

This is not a career.

And if you're not a patroller or former patroller then your dog training isn't worth a damn to anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

There has got to be a very small select group of people that are THE experts in training Avy Dogs and they mostly make a living by training the humans that own and train the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Not in the numbers to make a living. You would do better training dogs for cadaver or confined space or sniffing cancer or covid.
    Maybe cadaver dogs for #vanLife influencers
    Could be a growing business
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Maybe cadaver dogs for #vanLife influencers
    Could be a growing business
    This sounds significantly less fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There has got to be a very small select group of people that are THE experts in training Avy Dogs and they mostly make a living by training the humans that own and train the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Guy I knew that was in high demand was RCMP (retired). Don't know how much his work was to fill some social aspects VS $$$.

He had been on some gnarly shit including the Bay Street accident.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Most avys do not occur in the controlled terrain of a ski resort so a patroller/avy dog team is not really all that much in demand at ski resorts.

In B.C. it is the RCMP/dog handler that is called out for SAR, or drug sniffing, or apprehending criminals.

So the career path is either thru the RCMP or a business that offers dog obedience training for regular folks as well as RCMP/dog handler training.

It isn't correct to say that the all avalanche dogs in BC have RCMP handlers, certainly not the case here in Revelstoke. https://www.wilderdog.com/blogs/week...nd-rescue-team

[edit] CARDA have a listing of 18 volunteer teams in BC and Alberta http://www.carda.ca/pages/about-card...ated-teams.php in addition to the small number of RCMP and two Parks Canada teams http://www.carda.ca/pages/about-carda/relationships.php
    Last edited by nickinbc; 09-26-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Upon further reflection I realize I was jsut hoping I could get free room and high fives at a sick heli op if I had a really really good doggy. I guess that isn't the way the world works.

Realistically I am unsurprised, and should have mentioned, side gig was all I was really thinking, hopefully should have a career as a small plane pilot going as my main gig in a year or two. Doing something seasonally to get a ski pass seems likely, and finagling that to avoid and real labor sounds like something I'd try.

Thanks for replies though.

There’s a huge shortage of pilots.
    You’ll be better off building time, than training dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    There’s a huge shortage of pilots.
    You’ll be better off building time, than training dogs.
    Well yea, that's what will pay the bills and open doors in life. I grew up flying as a kid, it seems like what I was meant to do, but I also like the doggies and seem to speak their language and don't want to waste that either. Perhaps things will fall into place someday. Thanks for the replies.