Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Transit RWD vs Promaster FWD for Winter Travel

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Doesn't sound so bomber if you can't get moving from a standstill?

But blaming someone else's lack of traction is an awesome diversionary tactic.
    It is what it is

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    How many miles has your Express AWD made it thus far? Been looking at them but can't find anything here local and tend to like the boxiness of the new vans.
    Van strong at 120k
    Frame rotting. So sad.

But Chevy/GMC AWD is awesome.
    So sad they stopped production.

Big money for what’s left. If you can find a clean one, buy it. Quick.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    It is what it is

Did you have a heavy load in the back at the time?

Maybe a douche canoe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Maybe a douche canoe?
    You were in the back of his vehicle at the time?

I manage a fleet with a variety of Transits:

1x 2018 350 Cargo Ext High Roof, Quigley 4wd, 3.5 EcoBoost running GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12 XL in the winter
    3x 2019 350HD cutaway, RWD dually, 3.7 V6 running Nokian Hakkapeliitta CR3 in the winter
    2x 2020 350 passenger, AWD, 3.7 V6 running Conti VanContact A/S for now

My experience in winter is that the Quigley 4WD w/ snows is the top dog. Kills it in the snow and ice; a tank.
    The AWD with all season tires has been substantially better at ice starts/stops compared to the RWD dually w/ Nokians. I plan on getting snow tires for them this winter.
    The RWD dually's are fine with Nokian's but the distribution and control isn't as balanced. It stops fine at speeds on the highway in bad conditions, but struggles to get moving in slippery/uphill conditions.

Transit RWD vs Promaster FWD for Winter Travel

Not really. My bed setup weighs maybe 100#, that and a couple pairs of skis and boots.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I manage a fleet with a variety of Transits:

1x 2018 350 Cargo Ext High Roof, Quigley 4wd, 3.5 EcoBoost running GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12 XL in the winter
    3x 2019 350HD cutaway, RWD dually, 3.7 V6 running Nokian Hakkapeliitta CR3 in the winter
    2x 2020 350 passenger, AWD, 3.7 V6 running Conti VanContact A/S for now

My experience in winter is that the Quigley 4WD w/ snows is the top dog. Kills it in the snow and ice; a tank.
    The AWD with all season tires has been substantially better at ice starts/stops compared to the RWD dually w/ Nokians. I plan on getting snow tires for them this winter.
    The RWD dually's are fine with Nokian's but the distribution and control isn't as balanced. It stops fine at speeds on the highway in bad conditions, but struggles to get moving in slippery/uphill conditions.
    Thanks for the input. This might be a stupid question, but do you think a srw would be better than the duallys in terms of traction?

Thanks for the input. This might be a stupid question, but do you think a srw would be better than the duallys in terms of traction?
    Yes, for snow: SRW (and ideally a skinnier tire) is better since the tire will sink down and hopefully make better ground contact compared to a DRW and the added width. I can't speak to that very definitively, as I've only had SRW 4x4/AWD and RWD duallys (we had a few Econoline RWD duallys previously). But the duallys haven't been that stellar in snow and the "float" vs "sink" concept for DRW seems to happen in my experince.

As concrete jungle mentioned up thread, we have a 2018 High roof promaster that my husband uses as his daily driver here in Jackson WY
    We have good winter tires on it and it has done fine by us. We have chains but have never actually used them.
    The rear axel height is a bit of a bummer, but it hasn't ever stopped us from getting to the campsites and trailheads we want to get to.
    We did come from a VW Eurovan before that with FWD as well, so we weren't afraid

Although I would say that if I lived in some regions with a ton of ice (new England) or heavy, wet snows (PNW) I *might* consider springing for an awd van, but also maybe not bc this one works fine in 99% of the time

You hear about some people overbuilding their FWD vans and then they get heavy in the rear and are less stable driving so beware of that
    My husband built ours out with a fairly simple, open design inside (no sink, stove, etc) and it was weighing in around 6200 lbs last time I checked at the weight station.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    As concrete jungle mentioned up thread, we have a 2018 High roof promaster that my husband uses as his daily driver here in Jackson WY
    We have good winter tires on it and it has done fine by us. We have chains but have never actually used them.
    The rear axel height is a bit of a bummer, but it hasn't ever stopped us from getting to the campsites and trailheads we want to get to.
    We did come from a VW Eurovan before that with FWD as well, so we weren't afraid

Although I would say that if I lived in some regions with a ton of ice (new England) or heavy, wet snows (PNW) I *might* consider springing for an awd van, but also maybe not bc this one works fine in 99% of the time

You hear about some people overbuilding their FWD vans and then they get heavy in the rear and are less stable driving so beware of that
    My husband built ours out with a fairly simple, open design inside (no sink, stove, etc) and it was weighing in around 6200 lbs last time I checked at the weight station.
    Awesome, thanks for chiming in. I'll be doing a pretty lightweight build and most of anything with weight will be toward the center and front of the van.

I saw that off highway van does a 3" lift for the van that actually raises the axle height as well so if I find myself wanting more clearance I might go that route. Folks have me leaning toward the PM so will probably go that route and report back through the winter if I have anything to add.

Coming from a rock crawling background, I lean toward the Sawzall and sheet metal fab to fit larger tires (for more clearance) whenever possible, and lift only as absolutely necessary. Of course this can mean regearing diffs.

I've been running a PM as a daily driver and travel rig since 2015. Gotten stuck in the mud twice but never in snow. Good snows ftw. Rear axle has never been an issue and I've driven it plenty of places I shouldn't. For $26k off the lot it's been a good value.