Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Ski googles don't work worth a shit on the Playa...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Clearly China is now charging them 25 cents per lens instead of 15 cents.

Some of the most ridiculous margins in the business.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's fashion. Had the same issue with sunglasses for years. And eyeglass frames. Ridiculous what you have to pay for plastic easily molded in the third world. Cool has a premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Clearly China is now charging them 25 cents per lens instead of 15 cents.

Some of the most ridiculous margins in the business.
    My uncle was the consummate salesman--in his lifetime he bought and sold just about everything, including a 55 gal drum of eyeglass frames at 25 cents per. With inflation I guess they'd be a dollar. Eventually he made a ton of money buying and then selling Lalique.
    He never did make it back to Germany to dig up the art he buried at the end of WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My uncle was the consummate salesman--in his lifetime he bought and sold just about everything, including a 55 gal drum of eyeglass frames at 25 cents per. With inflation I guess they'd be a dollar. Eventually he made a ton of money buying and then selling Lalique.
    He never did make it back to Germany to dig up the art he buried at the end of WWII.
    Your uncle is Wooley?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Have the suppliers blamed COVID yet?

There are always deals. I just grabbed a pair of Smith IO/X with 2 chromapop lenses for CAN$99 and free shipping at Corbett’s.

https://www.corbetts.com/smith-i-ox-...se-flash-lens/

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Your uncle is Wooley?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I thought Wooley hunted mammoths?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Once you are willing to pay $X for a pair of goggles they know they can charge more next year for better goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Another vote for the squad, i just buy multiple pairs and don't screw around with lens swaps. For truly wet storm days that also means I can swap to dry goggles at lunch.
    That's a good idea. Just bought two pairs of Squads on Evo for $70 apiece.

In 1995 a pair of skis was $699 and a top of the line mountain bike was $2200.

In 2021, you can still get a lot of new skis for $699 but a top of the line MTB is $8000.

Ski hardgoods are fuckt.

It will be interesting to see the prices and availability of new skis this season. Might not be the best year to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    In 1995 a pair of skis was $699 and a top of the line mountain bike was $2200.

In 2021, you can still get a lot of new skis for $699 but a top of the line MTB is $8000.

Ski hardgoods are fuckt.
    Top of the line mountain bike in 95 was a steel or aluminum frame with a front shock. Top of the line MTB now is exotic carbon fiber with a complex rear suspension and super light components all around. Of course, now, price is jacked up to the highest bidder because parts are so hard to come by.

Oh, and, anybody and everybody bought a bike last year. Less people ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Less people ski.
    You sure about that? People everywhere in the west last year. Resorts were wedged.

It will be interesting to see the prices and availability of new skis this season. Might not be the best year to buy.
    Glad I got my Protest and MX 83's on sale. I am set for a few years with the present 5 ski quiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Prices jumped from the $100-$135 to the $170-$200 mark when they went to interchangeable lenses and you got a second lens in the deal. Then they dropped the second lens and went frameless look while keeping the price the same and no one cared because they didn’t use the second lens anyway. Price went up again when chromapop/prizm/etc came out.

Selling goggles/sunglasses in a rich person sport is easy as fuck. They look better, are a key fashion item and will still be the least expensive piece of kit they get. Also what’s another $100 to be able to see when you’re dropping thousands a year on trips, passes and gas?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    There are always deals. I just grabbed a pair of Smith IO/X with 2 chromapop lenses for CAN$99 and free shipping at Corbett’s.

https://www.corbetts.com/smith-i-ox-...se-flash-lens/
    I was going to say: I just wait until goggles are on sale, buy one pair. If I like them I wait until the next sale, buy 1-2 more pairs with different lenses. Then I'm set for like 5+ years... Goggles and sunglasses are something I notice both get huge markdowns - I think this is indicative or how high the markup is and that they are a fashion item. They function just as well 2 years after release but retailers are in a hurry to dump them because they are not seen as current.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    You sure about that? People everywhere in the west last year. Resorts were wedged.
    skier days were less last year than 00/01, they’ve been flat (oscillating in a 50-60 million band, but a downward trend line) for two decades +. But the marginal hills have died and the “big names” ie mostly the west get the biz

It's never the best year to buy, unless you buy in the spring after the resorts close.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Prices jumped from the $100-$135 to the $170-$200 mark when they went to interchangeable lenses and you got a second lens in the deal. Then they dropped the second lens and went frameless look while keeping the price the same and no one cared because they didn’t use the second lens anyway. Price went up again when chromapop/prizm/etc came out.

Selling goggles/sunglasses in a rich person sport is easy as fuck. They look better, are a key fashion item and will still be the least expensive piece of kit they get. Also what’s another $100 to be able to see when you’re dropping thousands a year on trips, passes and gas?
    the price bump also wS shortly after mass adoption of helmets and the realization that many of the existing goggle designs sucked to use with helmets. Oakley owned the high end goggle market prior to helmets by my anecdotal observation, but their existing goggles (a frame, wisdom) sucked with helmets, and things changed

Runaway Inflation - Ski Goggle MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I was going to say: I just wait until goggles are on sale, buy one pair. If I like them I wait until the next sale, buy 1-2 more pairs with different lenses. Then I'm set for like 5+ years... Goggles and sunglasses are something I notice both get huge markdowns - I think this is indicative or how high the markup is and that they are a fashion item. They function just as well 2 years after release but retailers are in a hurry to dump them because they are not seen as current.
    This is what I did with Smith I/Os. Got 3-4 pairs at different times, at 50% off or more. They’ve all lasted me 5-7 years, and all are still going very strong. Next summer I may buy some new on sale just to see how things have changed this decade

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Less people ski than cycle. Anybody can ride a bike. And snowboard.

Yeah, just can't wear any goggle these days. Have to marry well with your helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    skier days were less last year than 00/01, they’ve been flat (oscillating in a 50-60 million band, but a downward trend line) for two decades +. But the marginal hills have died and the “big names” ie mostly the west get the biz
    Source?

Best googles are those you find on Saturday afternoon in the parking lot at Squaw... just watch out for the other vultures.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Not just goggles but WTF happened to the price of ski pants? Jesus, they're insane now.